Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Almost ready for first flight questions

Discussion in 'Standard/4k Discussion' started by nemoishouse, Jun 24, 2016.

1. nemoishouse

So I got my P3S today after work. Got it home and opened it up and checked it out. Did the firmware update which I didn't have any issues. Was having some issues with the camera as far as nothing showing up on the app. Read a little bit and the first step was to charge the batteries for the bird and controller. So I did and viola!! Everything worked perfect. Unfortunately it was a little too late for the first flight. Also got her registered. My question is how do I set the take off height in the app?? Is this something that's preset?? Won't be able to fly her til around 4 or so tomorrow and I want to be 100% sure my first flight will be safe and not anything crazy. Any other steps I might need to do to ensure no crashes and a safe flight?? This forum is truly a wealth of knowledge and I usually find answers to questions i haven't even thought of on here!! Thanks guys!!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

2. With The Birds

To my knowledge auto take off height isnt user definable. I have never used the feature but havent seen anything in the app settings to suggest it may be altered.

nemoishouse likes this.
  3. Teds quichen

On the app make sure to set it to "beginners mode." Height and distance are preset. If you are not sure of what you are about to do, don't do it until you do your research. The more you understand the mechanics, the more fun you will get and safer you are going to be.

[​IMG]

You may ask why height and distance is zero. It is because i am not connected to the drone.

Enjoy and be safe!!

nemoishouse likes this.
  4. Multicoptertec

YLike any good pilot, make a flight plan, and keep it simple for your first flight. Go over all the screens and settings on the app, just to get familiar. Same thing with the controller. When you fly tomorrow, take your time. Props on tight. Everything charged. Home point set. RTH parameters set correctly. For first flight, I recommend auto take off. Watch the copter hover. Gain a little height, then fly straight away a few yards, then back. Move right, move left. Be sure the camera is facing away from you, so left is left, right is right, etc. Get familiar with the feel of the controls, and the birds response. Now land using auto land. Turn everything off, and now you can breathe. Then do it again. Practice flying boxes, etc till you run out of battery.

nemoishouse likes this.
  5. Multicoptertec

I should add also, that with a good compass calibration, and good sat reception, if you get mixed up during flight, let go of the sticks, and your Phantom will hover in place, giving you time to think..

nemoishouse and Michael Stuart like this.
  6. Ricksdumb@gmail. Com

Just remember... let go of the sticks , and she'll stay right there till u decide the next move..... the GPS is awesome...

nemoishouse likes this.
  7. beamerbuilder1

I just bought a Phantom 3 4K today on sale for $599. I'm a little concerned that it doesn't have the lightbridge technology. How bad does the range suffer because of WIFI only. Do you have many issues with "fly aways"?

nemoishouse likes this.
  8. With The Birds

He hasnt flown it yet.

The lightbridge range is significantly greater than the standard and the video quality of the downlink is better also.

Flyaways are very rare with the P3 in comparison to warlier models where true flyaways were more common.

nemoishouse likes this.
  9. sandman259

Range isn't as far as lightbridge, but it will go plenty far for a newbie. As far as you can see, and a mile in the country.

nemoishouse likes this.
  10. beamerbuilder1

Thanks for the Info. I'm new to DJI and Drones. Thought I would give it a shot :)

11. Phantom_geo

Also new myself, flown 6 times so far. Good advice, let go of the sticks. Really enjoyable to fly. Now to buy extra batteries, a case etc...seems to be addictive .....enjoy!

gvsukids likes this.
  12. nemoishouse

Hell yea thanks for the info!! Kinda windy and overcast today so don't know if I will get to fly, which sucks but maybe it will clear up later in the day

13. msinger

Approved Vendor

This cannot be changed. It would be best to manually take off since you'd then be in full control of your Phantom. The computer inside of your Phantom is pretty smart, but it's not foolproof.

You can find lots of helpful tips at PhantomHelp.com.

nemoishouse likes this.
  14. nemoishouse

I enjoy reading information and watching video tutorials. Thanks so much!

15. gvsukids

Download UAV forecast. Wind isn't a big deal unless greater than your ability. Many here fly in wind.

nemoishouse likes this.
  16. nemoishouse

I'm just a little nervous about my first flight in any wind. It was drizzling on my way home as well so I just need to be patient. Is UAV forecast an app???

17. nemoishouse

Never mind I found it! Thanks!!!

18. WilliamM

In my opinion when it comes to Phantom 3 FlyAways is mostly a myth for people trying to find an excuses for themselves for screwing up or not reacting properly in an emergency situation.

flpholt and Ricksdumb@gmail. Com like this.
  19. WilliamM

My recommendation as stated by someone previous is to put it into beginner mode initially until you start feeling like that mode is being too limiting. Then turn that mode off and then start by setting height and distance limits, if you're not sure how to do that, it means you haven't looked over the app thoroughly enough. It's easy enough to find if you just look through the menus.

nemoishouse likes this.
  20. WilliamM

I agree that flying in a breezy day is not normally an issue just as long as it's not over 25 mph and you're flying into the wind, not with the wind from your home point.