Almost Lost the Drone Today

Reaction score
Was flying over a vineyard with a P3P, as I have quite a few times over the last couple of months. I always land after the battery warning goes off and usually land with 20% left. So, today, when I was out a little farther than I have been before and the alarm sounded I ignored it and went a bit further, figuring I could go out another minute or so and then come back. When the critical alarm sounded I started back, still up 400 feet and out 1,550 meters. On my way back the drone imitated the auto-land sequence. No big, that's been triggered many times before, though closer to home. I just hit the little "X" on the left side of the screen. Right? Nope.

So there I am out 900-meters out, descending over a vineyard that's protected by a barbed wire fence and I'm coming straight down somewhere in the middle of a few thousand rows of grapes. (Could be worse, right?) Well, even though I couldn't cancel auto-land it seemed I still had throttle and rudder, so I turned left to head for the nearest bike path outside the fence. Even though I took a couple of right angles I did make it back with 7% left (would have been 10 if I didn't take the right angles). Definitely and adrenaline rush.

So I am going to kick my battery warnings back 5 or 10% but the question is, is that normal to not be able to kill auto-land? If I was a bit further out I would have put down on row 1173 or something and with no way to get to it.

I really don' like it when a computer overrides me--ESP autopilot. The good news? I broke my distance, speed and duration records.

7% is really pushing it. Are you able to upload the flight log to phantom help or healthy drones. Would be interesting to see some detail here.

Yes, it's normal. You can't cancel auto-land. It's my understanding you can keep it level though, with the P3 and above, if you apply full up thrust with the sticks. And you can steer it. So it's possible you might have got it home that way.

There are a whole lot of threads on this site where the OP explains about how he got the battery warning, but thought he had enough battery for another minute or two, and then the craft auto-landed. Just sayin'

even though I couldn't cancel auto-land it seemed I still had throttle and rudder, so I turned left to head for the nearest bike path outside the fence. Even though I took a couple of right angles I did make it back with 7% left (would have been 10 if I didn't take the right angles).
FYI, if you do this long enough, the battery will eventually shut off mid-flight.

I don't mean to sound crass, but don't ignore the alarm and keep the settings as they are. This will keep your battery in good condition as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By DJI? I don't think so. I documented it here.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj