Almost lost my P4...not how you think!

Video frames.
4K video frames work really well for capturing lightning. There's usually one or two frames out of the 24 fps that are crisp and sharp. I've even set my P3P in the window and turned the video on during lightning storms.

Glad you didn't lose the P4.

Would like to do your battery mod one day. Maybe when the warranty is over or in a few months... but im already planning on getting the MaxxRange on my 2nd controller.

You can do a battery mod that just mods the battery and not the bird, so your bird warranty will not be voided, just the battery!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Edit : @ray rokni , yo thanks but I can't find anything in that 36 pager. No rush, but when you get around to it, will you post what post number please? Thanks!

Here it's a quick run down, DB has helped me through out the process, so I'm repeating what I have learnt from him.

Horizonfpvantaennas.us for your battery mod. Charge is $35 per battery.

Multistar 5200 from hobby king $40 ish

Lipo charger or your dji charger since the battery mod has the lead to connect to the external battery for charging through the dji charger.

Here it's a quick run down, DB has helped me through out the process, so I'm repeating what I have learnt from him.

Horizonfpvantaennas.us for your battery mod. Charge is $35 per battery.

Multistar 5200 from hobby king $40 ish

Lipo charger or your dji charger since the battery mod has the lead to connect to the external battery for charging through the dji charger.

Wait, he actually modifiers the batteries themselves to last longer???

Hoe much time does he get?

You can do a battery mod that just mods the battery and not the bird, so your bird warranty will not be voided, just the battery!

Edit : @ray rokni , yo thanks but I can't find anything in that 36 pager. No rush, but when you get around to it, will you post what post number please? Thanks!

Wait, he actually modifiers the batteries themselves to last longer???

Hoe much time does he get?

1. Nobody has been able to successfully mod the p4 bat yet, I did the a/c bat mod on my p4.
2. I mod the p3 bat for external xt-60 connectors, i dont make the battery itself give longer time.
3. Dont emergency land in the street[emoji41]

**** DB that was close!! Very lucky you got there in time!!!

Fot the hooter thing..lol i never heard that before but they do that same thing next town over...ive gotten some good stuff. New looking power wheels and a 47" lcd tv last month that people call "junk"

sent from my POS Samsung Galaxy

Reactions: dirtybum
4K video frames work really well for capturing lightning. There's usually one or two frames out of the 24 fps that are crisp and sharp. I've even set my P3P in the window and turned the video on during lightning storms.
I use 3840x2160p for captures. Worked nicely on the 4th of July.

The picture are from my P3a set at 1920x 1080 /50 fps.

**** DB that was close!! Very lucky you got there in time!!!

Fot the hooter thing..lol i never heard that before but they do that same thing next town over...ive gotten some good stuff. New looking power wheels and a 47" lcd tv last month that people call "junk"

sent from my POS Samsung Galaxy
Are you sure they were intended to be taken, and not just waiting to be carried inside by the owner? ;)

Last edited:
I use 3840x2160p for captures. Worked nicely on the 4th of July.
I've found the slightly wider 4096x2160p 24fps mode ensures better field of view coverage for the more unpredictable lightning strikes.

I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Reactions: GadgetGuy
View attachment 60136
It was a calm night so I went out for a long distance flight, everything was working out to 50,000 feet, when I started heading back I just could not get the speed I needed, I was looking for 36 mph and could only get about 33 (it's hard to gauge the wind 10 miles away from you)
About 4 miles from my home point it was clear I was not going to make it back, so I decided to land on the dead-end road that I live on. It's directly in the flightpath and 2 miles from my home point. It would be a slamdunk emergency land in daylight. But a 70' cul desac (turnaround) in pitch black using radar only was tricky. I landed, could see the pavement in the camera view with the p4's LED's so safe land! Then I started to pack up and drive the 2 miles back. That part of the story is typical!
But... Once a summer in our 'hood they have a heavy trash pickup day where you set big junk items out on your curb and they pick up. For a week people ( hooters we call them) cruise around picking thru your trash looking for scrap metal or other treasures. Our street is a deadend and on any normal night would not see a car, but this weeks been crazy. As I'm getting close I could see there was two different "hooter" cars on my street. I started to panic that they would run the p4 over w/ there car as I landed in the middle of the road!
So I sped up and passed the first car, then continued at a steady pace and passed the second "hooter" right before my deadend!
I saw the p4 landed safely in the middle of the turnaround, lights flashing. The car I passed pulled up as I was grabbing it and the lady got out to forage thru my curbside junk. She actually told me "That dont look like something you want to loose, if I pulled up and saw those lights flashing, I would be like woo-hoo!!
I'm just here to hoot!"
****! If I hadn't got there soon enough I know that P4 was goin for a car ride. Close call.
Lesson learned, never land in the street on "hooter week"!
View attachment 60137
ummmm.. how in the hell did you fly that far????

ummmm.. how in the hell did you fly that far????

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1469203885.852225.jpg

Reactions: phxbird57

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik