Almost lost my Camera!!!!

Reaction score
My question is:

How often should I be tightening screws?

On my third outing, 11th flight, I had one of the screws holding the camera mount to my Phantom come lose a drop off. The second screw also came lose but didn't completely fall out. I had cut a piece of chamois to match the size of the GoPro mount and screwed the mount on with that between to dampen any vibration; thus reducing jello. I didn't tighten them down really hard, but I did give them some good tension. After this flight I also noticed that some of the screws on the Prop Guards were also lose, but not as much as the camera mount.

Thanks

a bit depends on how much of that blue thread lock-like stuff DJI includes on the screws, but all screws that are subjected to vibrations have a tendency to loosen up over time.

tighten things up regularly.
I'ts a good idea to check prior to heading out to fly, as well as regularly if you can remember.
but do NOT use Loctite .

I had to drill out a motor mounting screw because it was stripped. The DJI metric screws are very soft & Locktite can cause enough resistance so that the screw can strip easily. But they drill out very easy too. I also heard that Locktite can damage plastic.

If you have to ask how often you should tighten your screws then you are not doing a proper pre flight check.

For every 20 minutes of flying there is probably 5 minutes of maintenance. Do this BEFORE every flight!

miskatonic said:
If you have to ask how often you should tighten your screws then you are not doing a proper pre flight check.

For every 20 minutes of flying there is probably 5 minutes of maintenance. Do this BEFORE every flight!

As a first time RC operator, I looked at the manual, I watched the videos and I saw nothing about this so called "pre-flight maintenance" you refer to. Maybe you can be somewhat helpful and point me to the DJI documentation that refers to this.

Thanks Gord

At the risk of sounding rude, it is common sense Gordo.

The same applies to most everything mechanical that you use. Car, motorcycle, power tools garden machinery. Things can loosen up.

Ali in Austria said:
At the risk of sounding rude, it is common sense Gordo.

The same applies to most everything mechanical that you use. Car, motorcycle, power tools garden machinery. Things can loosen up.

Pre-Flight?? And all this time I thought it was, "Kick the tires and light the fires!" :D

Hope my pre- flight check list help you, Welcome and great flights:

I wrote in february a long pre-flight checklist (i was a quad newbie so it was very helpful then).
Now I want to share my own reduced pre-flight check list for those who want to follow it (reduced to 10 points for hurry newbies) As a result, I've not lost nothing, neither have had a "fly away" or similar loose control :

1) Check the battery is charged. (http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trk...&_nkw=buzzer+voltage+alarm&_sacat=0&_from=R40)
2) Check around for obstacles, water or inteference sources around your flight site (Cell, Microwave or power towers)
3) Check props (specially if had bumped or crashed) may be broken.
4) Check tightened nuts, screws and holders for VTX, Camera, Gimbal, etc.
5) Check no wires around or loosening conections
6) Check your TX sticks are in correct position (GPS up, Trhottle down, etc) and if beeping with sticks down, replace batteries
7) Check the battery door is right closed and secured. Also the Phantom orientation at take off, so you stay behind it.
8) Wait for Just GREEN blink leds (GPS mode)
9) Take off and check for strange noises from motors, check Yaw, Up, Left, Right and Gimbal pitch controls are working before go far.
10) Keep an eye on your bird even when curious people come to distract you with compliments and "esoteric" questions.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20