Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Almost had a crash with a bone headed move

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ccase39, Feb 28, 2015.

1. ccase39

When I am in ground station I always climb to 150 feet or so to start off just to be on the safe side. I dont like to watch it gradually gain altitude to the next waypoint. I was bringing it up to set a flight plan and guess I got distracted. I started plotting my course and got the altitude where I wanted it and hit GO. I looked up and realized I was only about 30 or so feet up and watched in horror as my bird flew straight toward some power lines. I didnt even have time to react and flip the S1 switch. I missed it by about a foot. Word to the wise, always double check lol. As soon as you get comforatable its easy to make a dumb mistake that can be costly.

2. Forts

I had this exact issue yesterday, except I clipped a tree as the bird was climbing to the first waypoint. I watched in horror as it tumbled from the sky and out of sight behind a house. After trudging along thru the snow I found it in a yard half buried in the snow. Thankfully the only damage was some broken props... Looks like the fluff that it came down in did me a big favor. I made sure everything was dry inside, slapped on some new props and was back in the air. Got lucky with that one!!

3. Badger55

4. Suwaneeguy

that's why I set waypoint 1 close to home. then at launch, it heads there and then rises to altitude.

5. jcknows0

I am sure the weather is impacting everyone's judgement although it did save me during my first fall with a soft 50 crash gimbal side up. A lot of drying off and some canned air flew just find all day Friday and Saturday.

6. 750r

And they say you can't do flips in GPS :lol:
    That worked out good .

7. msinger

Approved Vendor

Or, you can do what the OP did -- and, climb to the desired altitude before starting the mission.

8. ccase39

Yea that is what I always do. Ill bring it up to about 150 or whatever altitude is safe based on my surroundings and start there. This one time I just wasn't paying attention and didn't realize I hadn't brought it up as high as I normally do.