Almost but not quite disaster first flight - P3S

Reaction score
So, I read and read the manual. Calibrate the compass, and head to my 20 x 40' clear patch in the forest (I have about an acre full forest with 200' tall trees. I was able to get 6 to 8 sat's, and everything looked good. Thank heavens for my year of the 5C. I was in beginners mode and just wanted to test the camera. So, I had it about 6 feet from me and about 4' in the air, the cheap phone holder slipped and I looked down for just a second to re-position the phone, and the wind came up and unknown to me the sat lock had died....the drone had moved three feet toward me in the wind and was about 2' from concrete stairs still moving due to wind. I unconsciously hit the stop sequence about a foot (could not go up or sideways due house and railing) from the stairs and the drone gently landed with only one prop hitting the stairs with no power. scuffed up the prop just a tiny bit.

Look for damage cracks to the body and could not find any. So I put it in ATT and flew it for about 20 minutes testing the camera. Thankfully is was going very slow and some how I just put both sticks down to the corner. I flew it with both ATT and P (kept going in and out) and realized how easy it is to fly compared to the 5C. I was comfortable flying it around trees and could really tell the different between the two modes.

I was just lucky that I looked up in time to kill the power. There definitely is something to be said for flying a cheap drone. Even in ATT mode I could keep it very slow and control direction and fight the sometimes gusty wind. That holder is going the way of the DoDo, was the lucky the phone didn't fall that would have been costly. Can hardly wait to go some place now and fly.

That's was close call, but know this, even the slightest scratch on a prop can throw it off balance. Keep a close eye on your drone. Speaking from experience, my drone landed hard one time, it leaned back and had a prop hit the ground before I could get the motors shut Dow. Didn't think nothing of it, as it was just a scratch. Next time I flew it I noticed the drone leaning a little. I changed that prop and all was good

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan