Almost a 'fly-away'. What do you think?

Reaction score
Think I almost had a ‘fly-away’ today, but got VERY lucky. Thought I’d share my experience and maybe someone can advise what may have happened.

I've been flying without a glitch or crash since getting my P2V+ in May. Originally it suffered from major TBE but that was corrected.

On the weekend I noticed an odd behavior; while ~100% forward, ~80% down, 80% yaw if I release the yaw/throttle stick the Phantom just stopped dead even though I was still full forward. This was in GPS mode. Releasing forward and pushing forward again returned to normal flight. It was intermittent so I didn't think anything of it - probably unrelated.

Today I was trying to fly over a river through town. I was at 300m range, 50m elevation with full FPV and good line of sight. I titled the camera down and started time-lapse photos and the thing stopped responding and banked hard right disappearing behind a building. I feared the worst, but after a minute I heard it coming home. I figured possibly it lost control signal but that was no excuse for the hard right.

As I was bringing it home it went completely nuts (on-board clip below) what I can only assume full manual control feels like. It was at 40-50m away, clear line of sight (but trees and buildings around) so i don't think it was a control signal. After fighting to get control I gave up and flicked to RTH and it settled instantly. Flicking S1 back to GPS I was able to land – so probably not loss of GPS.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piK45x1xrms[/youtube]

Any ideas? Loose connections / interference (flying in the city) / Manual control triggered somehow?

I was Flying in NAZA – GPS mode. Went back out this evening to a nice open park - no problems.

Any ideas?

I'd be doing a full calibation of sticks and IMU, and look at the figures in the software to see if anything seems out - before and after.
It does almost look like a sudden interference to your signal, always possible in an urban location.
Since it came back promptly on RTH it must still have had good satellites (K index has been up a bit the last 24 hours)

You wouldn't happen to have a flight logger recording your data would you? I ask because it would be nice to use to see what is shown at the point of doing what it did.

I have had this happen to me a couple of times and each was of a different situation. The spin is caused from the quad searching for a gps signal. The wacky flying is a result of not locating a gps signal and the quad has no idea where it's at. My guess is this is either a loose connection, or a grounding short from a bad aluminum foil gps mod.

My situation took place due to a bad S1 switch that if you barely touched it, it would jump from gps mode to atti mode repeatedly over & over. The other was a loose connection from the gps plug-in point on top of the main board. The plug was all the way in, but the plug itself was loose and wobbled.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20