All the gear.... no idea!

Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first post...

As of 2 days ago, I'm the very happy new owner of the P2 with Zenmuse and GoPro 3+, carry case, spare battery etc courtesy of my fiancé, who is already deeply regretting buying me it because of her being totally ignored now! haha

anyway.. the subject title isn't totally true, iv been looking into the P2's for a few weeks but now that iv actually got one, a few questions have arisen...

Ive noticed that whilst the go pro app is running on my iphone5, the gps lock on the P2 simply does not fix up until the ten minute mark when i turned the P2 off and thought it may have something to do with the wifi from the iPhone app, so i turned the wifi off, restarted the P2 then it got lock after a few minutes....so is this normal? or is there a conflict between the wifi frequencies etc, or am i doing something wrong??

I presume it can't be flown in rain but how does the P2 stand in wet weather? is this a total no go, or can it stand a light shower if it was caught in one?

Is there any add on devices to help with range, for when i decide on which FPV option to go for?

and on that subject, which is the most popular option...the fatshark style goggles or the monitor attached to the remote?
Im steering towards the monitor option, because i think it like to actually glance the P2 in the air whilst flying it, and if I'm with a friend etc i don't want to be antisocial as such and be in cyber land while there just stood there, but then, which is the best monitor option in terms off resolution, range etc?

i anticipate that the FPV question is probably a repeated one on the forum, but i thought to add to this post anyway...

Best Regards - Mike

Like....DISABLE the GoPro Wi-Fi before using it on the Phantom.

Mike Koi said:
Hi, and is there a genuine in car charger for the P2 batteries?

This may already have been answered, but I simply use a 12v inverter to convert 12v DC to 120v AC directly from my car's what was formerly called the cigarette lighter plug receptacle. I am using a 400 watt inverter. I do not recommend using this if the car is not running, but rather when it is.

I would have thought flying in the rain wouldn't be conducive to a healthy P2. All of those cooling slots on the arms have delicate electronics sitting just behind them. I wouldn't risk it.

If you get caught in a rain shower.... just fly it back to you, wipe it down properly and leave it somewhere warm for a couple of hours just to be sure. A single drop of water on one of those boards could cost you dear :-( I've had a couple of times where it's started to rain. Following this appraoch as worked ok for me up to now.

Search the forum for waterproofing. There's some interesting stuff on the subject.

It's a good habit in general to use the search function first. :)

raynardo said:
Mike Koi said:
Hi, and is there a genuine in car charger for the P2 batteries?

This may already have been answered, but I simply use a 12v inverter to convert 12v DC to 120v AC directly from my car's what was formerly called the cigarette lighter plug receptacle. I am using a 400 watt inverter. I do not recommend using this if the car is not running, but rather when it is.

Hi and thank you Raynardo, ill look into doing what you have done..

goldfishrock said:
I would have thought flying in the rain wouldn't be conducive to a healthy P2. All of those cooling slots on the arms have delicate electronics sitting just behind them. I wouldn't risk it.

If you get caught in a rain shower.... just fly it back to you, wipe it down properly and leave it somewhere warm for a couple of hours just to be sure. A single drop of water on one of those boards could cost you dear :-( I've had a couple of times where it's started to rain. Following this appraoch as worked ok for me up to now.

Hi and yes i totally agree, I'm not at all ever going to intentionally put her up in any wet weather but i thought to ask the question as its a critical one for us newbies, thank you :)

CunningStuntFlyer said:
My experience has been much different - fully submerged Phantom, shook the water out, opened the case, blew the as much of the remaining water out as possible, flew again 15 minutes after the crash.

I assume that was fresh water? Being fully submerged is actually better than few badly positioned drops of water which is why drying it out afterwards is key. If you hit salt water, the results would be much worse. It conducts better and corrodes like crazy. But it does seem a reasonable number of Phantoms have survived dives into fresh water. And there are a number of videos of P1s sitting underwater and eerily beeping for a looooong time.

In the case of the OP, you're biggest risk from rain is a single drop of water getting into one of the vents on your Phantom in just the wrong spot and blowing a cap or shorting a trace and sending you tumbling out of the sky. You would think rain water, with it's lack of minerals, would not conduct electricity but unfortunately, it does.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4