All of a sudden weak signal while 394 feet above my head

Reaction score
Hi everyone i fly a p3 pro with absolutely no issues the range has always been great with a wind sail or signal booster you put on the antenas.Now all of a sudden i go vertical to 394 feet above my head and i get week signal last night then good signal then week signal very inconsistent.Not once but 3 flights.auto returned it i can't take a chance on loosing it.Any ideas would be great.Oh i was flying with a oem battery that i was testing just bought off eBay.I turned off all auto updates also.

Did you have the antennas positioned properly? You'll likely get a better signal if you don't fly directly overhead too.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Did you have the antennas positioned properly?

Yes i keep them as high up till they touch my iPad Air same thing i always do.

Were you pointing the antennas at the quad? If the quad was above you head your antennas should have been horizonal with your tablet/phone screen facing the ground ..... if that makes sense. If you were just stood with the RC in your hand out in from of you then that probably accounts for the weak signal

Did you have the antennas positioned properly? You'll likely get a better signal if you don't fly directly overhead too.

Yeah , what he said!

The thing is i have done nothing different than usual with great performance.

Well I'd say you've dodged a RTH bullet more than once of that is the case . I quite often get some distance and litchi will start reporting signal issues .... It's then I check the antennas and realise they are still folded as they are when they come out of my carrier ..... a quick reposition and off we go out to 2 miles over the sea.

When directly overhead you need to have the transmitter above your head and almost upside down!
I made the mistake once of doing a vertical takeoff to maximum height. I had a bad neck for a week. Now I take the drone a few hundred yards away from me first.

Try it with your antennas straight out instead of pointed up and see if it happens. With the birds is right on this one

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Cool i will try again today and see what happens with this advice.Thanks guy's

The only thing i can think of is my iPad air2 battery was at 25%.I don't know if that would effect anything though.

The iPad battery won't affect that. I was told with those type of antennas the radiation/signal is like this in the pic....almost like a donut
78a9ed9558824e47762347f06fcdeeeb.jpg
b13e7db5d85028d93fd860a4e4f87132.jpg
15dda0bd7973575fe71d465cd1eeffe5.jpg

Lol please excuse these horrible drawings

Reactions: Oso and toddena
The iPad battery won't affect that. I was told with those type of antennas the radiation/signal is like this in the pic....almost like a donut

Lol better than i can draw.Got it thanks Man

Lol better than i can draw.Got it thanks Man
Optimum signal strength is obtained when the antennas of teh controller and the Phantom are parallel and facing each other.
It doesn't matter how you angle the antennas, if your Phantom is straight above, you cannot get optimum signal and the higher you go the worse it is.
Solution: Don't fly straight up - go out a bit.

Reactions: toddena

I totally loved the drawings. Well done.

Still, as noted earlier directly overhead is not where you want to fly. Cheers!

You THINK you have done nothing different or that nothing is different.

You need to remember that this is RF technology. It's not exempt from interference, one way or another. I wouldn't worry about it. People worry way too much these days..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers