All LEDs Red In Flight

Reaction score
Before anyone asks, I have read the effin manual. I also went back and looked for this issue specifically and didn't see it. So if its in there, forgive me. Now on to the story.

Lets start with some back story.

Some months back, I was doing some flying and getting good shots. I ran one of my batteries down pretty low and I knew it. But I flying low (maybe 25ft) and right over my head so I didn't think much about trying to make one more pass to get a few more shots. But during that pass, the battery got low enough to go into go home mode. So even though I was only about 20ft up and maybe 120ft from where I took off, my Phantom climbed to 130ft (40 meters) and then slowly flew to the home point and started to slowly descend. But the battery was rapidly draining so I was desperately trying to get it down.

Whether I did it or it did it on its own, the Phantom got down to about 30ft and then went into full on VRS and fell out of the sky hitting the pavement hard.

I had damage to the shell where the legs connected and damage to the gimbal. Transferring the innards to a new shell fixed the leg connection issue and I was able to disassemble and re-bend the gimbal pieces to get it back to normal.

I did a few test flights after the rebuild and everything seemed fine. I disabled the low battery go-home mode because I realized a low battery situation is NOT the time you want to have no control over what it does in the air.

So the next flight I did after my test flights was at a friend's new house. It powered up normally. Got a lock normally and flew normally. Knowing I no longer had any kind of low battery fail safe online, I was watching the battery level like hawk. I got to a point where I had about 48% battery left according to what the IOSmini was reporting. A few seconds later, all 4 LEDs were solid red. I checked the display and saw battery was now reporting 8%. I immediately started coming down and landed as soon as I was able without incident.

I figured ok, battery #2 might be shot, better proceed carefully if I fly with that battery again. Haven't had much time to do any testing since then.

So today I'm trying to do another flight. I'm flying with a different battery (#3), I power up and it gets a lock pretty quickly. I did a compass calibration just as a precaution which went perfectly normally. I powered up, took off and started climbing. When I got to about 20ft or so, I noticed that all 4 LEDs were solid red again. I immediately started bringing it down and landed as quickly as possible. My screen was still showing battery level at more than 70%. I was able to land without incident about 10' from where I took off. As far as I could tell, all four LEDs stayed solid red until I was on the ground and shut the motors down.

After landing I shut the motors down but left the power on. Rear LED's were now flashing green green red repeatedly. Instead of taking chances, I shut everything down and packed it up.

So what gives? Why would I get four solid LEDs in flight? It seemed to respond normally the entire flight and remained very stable throughout.

I don't know what the solid red LEDs mean nor what I should do about it. As always, thanks in advance.

Ok, having just had the same issue, I can tell you that with my p3, all 4 lights on the arms being red means your battery needs a firmware update. I know this because I just got a new battery and had all 4 lights red. The go app said firmware update required. Because I had already updated the firmware on my stuff, it just updated the battery. Restart the quad and the r/c and all is good. Hope this is the same for you.

My 2 cents - it can also be a mis-calibrated compass that causes the rear red lights to flash. I have three flight batteries. One of them new, two of them about 18 months old, with many flights on them. Launching with one of the old batteries - fully charged, I did the compass dance, and continued to get all red lights in back. I switched to the newest battery and the compass calibrated and I got my green lights back. I later tested the bad battery. In Assistant the voltages for all three cells looked correct. When I lifted off (low flying test flight), The battery charge and percentage went down slowly at first, then plummeted down to 15% (obviously one or two bad cells). I got a 4 minute flight. That battery was shot and any calibrations done with it in the bird, including the compass dance, could not be trusted.

Reactions: jonbates5

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj