Airspace Authorizations: Hobbyists & Part 107 Commercial

Hurray! Yesterday, we received email notice that our application referenced earlier in this thread was received, status "SUBMITTED_ATCFC" whatever that means. Then a few minutes later another email with a status "SUBMITTED SIG" whatever that means, then today we received our first FAAForm 7711 2016-ESA-361-P107 COA.

So, it took four about weeks, but it looks promising in that they, the FAA, seem to have implemented a tracking system, and are now churning these. Hopefully turnaround times will shrink, I don't envy them as I can't imagine how many requests that will be coming their way here on out.

Congrats.

They definitely seem to be getting quicker. My last submission took about 2 weeks or so.

I don't believe it says anywhere that you have to have the number available. In fact, the number doesn't even have to be for the pilot operating.

On the FAA authorization form you fill in, besides the mandatory phone for contact about the application, there is also another phone # space for "For operations in certain controlled airspace, this phone number should be for the person whom ATC can reach while operations are occurring."

I just received a Class D airspace authorization this morning. Under Special Provisions is says I am the contact & responsible person and "During UAS operations for on-site communications/recall the Pilot shall be continuously available for direct contact at 585-123-4567 [my cell phone#] by Facility or designated representative [of the FAA]"

It's interesting that they are introducing this "responsible person" in the COA process. I thought the whole idea behind RPIC was to affix "pilot in command" responsibility/final authority to one unique person, i.e. the certificated RPIC, not some other possibly person.

My recent COA lists my boss' office phone number (responsible
person) for ATC to contact instead of my cell phone number which was given for RPIC. Does that make operational sense?

I agree, especially when the responsible person need not be certificated. I am a PLS, but my boss has to be at least a PLS to legally run a professional practice which he is.

I would think that Drone service companies should listing a FAA certificated RPIC as the responsible person, a Chief Pilot per say, then he/she could have a roster of certificated RPICs for the actual flying.

I like it because you can add pilots or drones as you need to without submitting a new authorization request. It is a bit confusing though. They seem to be handling it a bit like they do approved programs for air carriers.

Dave
Making Drone Airspace Authorization Easy - A Step by Step guide to airspace authorizations for drone pilots.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers