Airports

Reaction score
According to the B4UFLY app, I am within 5 miles of 7 different airports.

Two are news station heliports with one helicopter each,
Two are hospital heliports with one helicopter each,
Two are seaplane bases that are privately owned with one single engine plane on each,
And the last one is a privately owned airstrip with two single engine planes.
Also all of these except one heliport are over 4 miles away.

So since all of these are < 5 miles away I have to notify them before flying, which to me sounds like a gigantic waste of time for both me and the airport since they all only have one vehicle each (Except the one with two) and I am just barely within 5 miles of them all. There are lots of planes that fly over my house, but they are all coming from or going to a big airport far to the south. So am I forced to call all 7 airports I am within 5 miles from each time I fly or is there an alternative?

Reactions: johnrobbfl
Can you be a little more specific on location, like what is the "big airport" to the south's designation or name? I would think it's a problem if it is in class C or B airspace.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm curious about the specifics of this as well. I have two tiny little airstrips within 5 miles of my house, neither of them have control towers, and I'm not sure what the specifics of the rules are.

One of them is a flight instruction place right at the edge of the 5 mile limit (no control tower) that occasionally does crop dusting over some of the fields in their area, but nowhere near where I live.
The other is a privately owned, open to the public, airstrip without even any fuel or hangar facilities (also no control tower).

Do the rules imply/intend the airport notification to only extend to certain kinds of airports, or every mom and pop airstrip out there?

Thanks for any insight anyone can give.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20