Airport vs. Heliport

Reaction score
Hey guys. Been lingering around reading for a while but this is my first post.

I don't fly a whole lot, probably just a few times a month. I'm always very careful and follow all the guidelines and rules for safety.

A couple days ago I got the dreaded letter from the faa. I was taking some pictures of a historical home site where my wife volunteers and apparently about 200 feet above me and a block over, there was a medical helicopter on a rooftop helipad.

I didn't know it was there, but also I firmly believe there is a difference in an airport and a helipad/heliport. I've found numerous faa documents that differentiate the two.

I called and talked to the guy who sent it and he said an airport and heliport see the same thing, and that I needes to be 5 miles from it. This does not seem right to me. I work in aviation and am pretty knowledgeable. I would consider the guidelines saying we need to be 5 miles from an airport, an airport, and not a helipad. Anybody got any insight into this? Thanks

I hadn't really thought much about heliports. Many tall buildings in metro areas have heliports, and almost all hospitals do. Drawing a five-mile radius around them would significantly increase the no-fly-zone coverage in most cities. I live than 5 miles from at least 2 and possibly 3 heliports in Richmond VA.

I wouldn't argue too much with the FAA on this. Every time they have to fire off a letter to a UAV operator, it adds fuel to the argument that these things need more regulation. How did they get your name and address, btw?

Does anyone know of a list of heliports? I suppose the FAA publishes one. Perhaps we should abide by the same guidance offered regarding airports and contact the heliport operator to let them know when and where we'll be flying if we're within 5 miles.

It's worse than I thought. My entire city is blanketed with heliports. I put together this map with 5-mile radius circles around them all. Technically, I would have to notify 7 different heliport operators before I flew in my back yard.

Screenshot%202015-09-11%2000.12.37.png

Last edited:
Yea, that's a good, and spooky, question...
Not really if we knew ,,The rest of the story ...
Welcome to the forum Mike and how about telling us how they knew it was you . :)
And welcome here Jason also !

The only thing I can think of is from my license plates. A security guard from the hospital came over and asked me what I was doing and all the usual stuff and I'm thinking she wrote my plates down..

The only thing I can think of is from my license plates. A security guard from the hospital came over and asked me what I was doing and all the usual stuff and I'm thinking she wrote my plates down..

That would work...

Not saying she did or not... but if she DIDN'T, I'd find her to be incompetent.

Reactions: dirkclod
Well like ken just said that would most likely be how but comparing airport's and Heliport's At a hospital is like comparing apples and oranges .

HIPPA?

Hospital security guards?

Usually if I don't know, I don't say.

GOOGLE it.

It refers to [primarily] electronic security of your personal health information/records, etc.

Ooops.

Not intentional... as he slinks away.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj