Airport Security and the Phantom

Reaction score
I've previously read several posts about taking the phantom on a plane with you particularly the number of batteries and if Airport Security was a problem and was looking forward to taking it to the UK from Aus in a few weeks. That was until the new Airport Security rules have just been introduced "phones and laptops will not be allowed on flights to destinations around world unless fully charged". I had bought a case and intended to carry it on, I was even going to discharge the batteries so that they didn't pose a risk.
Does anyone have any idea if it is possible to take a Phantom through airport security with the new rules or am I just asking for a world of pain? :(

Funny you should ask - I was just researching that this afternoon for the US and the UK (heading back home to the UK in a few weeks and I want to take my Phantom with me). As far as I can gather, in the both the US and the UK you can take any number of lithium batteries as carry-on as long as they are less that 100Wh capacity. If you have batteries over 100Wh you can only take 2 of them, and over 300Wh is banned.

For reference, The Phantom battery is 58Wh, 4.7g ELC (Equivalent Lithium Content).

To calculate Wh for other batteries: Wh = Voltage (in V) x capacity (in Ah). So, Phantom = 11.1*5.2 = 58Wh.

To calculate ELC: ELC = #cells * capacity (in Ah) * 0.3. So, Phantom = 3*5.2*0.3 = 4.7g.

Here's what I found for the US: http://safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html

And for the UK: http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid ... geid=14501

I'd go to the airport and bring the phantom so you can ask a security guard first so you arent disappointed on the day of your flight. I bet like all things it'll be a gray area and down to individual security guards what they'll let through or not. I'm sick of all these security measures, we'll all have to fly naked soon with no luggage.

You can do that locally, but the problem is that you also need to verify that you're going to be able to get the batteries back on the plane the other end. International policies can vary and it's rather aggravating not to be able to bing your stuff back home.

what about carrying just one battery with you (in case you need to prove it will turn on) and ship the others to yourself separately? Yes, it's a hassle, time consuming, and expensive, but you'll end up with your batteries!

EdmontonPhotog said:
what about carrying just one battery with you (in case you need to prove it will turn on) and ship the others to yourself separately? Yes, it's a hassle, time consuming, and expensive, but you'll end up with your batteries!

I was thinking of doing that. The shipping is expensive, but getting your LiPos confiscated in a foreign airport is a lot more expensive!

i'd also check id security will let you take it back out the UK too??. it might be easier just to ship your batteries parcel force or UPS or whatever to where you are staying and post them back home when you leave?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.