Airport Authorization, how quick is response?

Reaction score
I have a property to shoot today that's between three and four miles away from Tyndall AFB. The real estate agent got in touch with me on Thursday, asked me to shoot the house, I sent in authorization request that same day and haven't heard back yet. Is this normal? Should I just call them instead?

Authorizations are taking several weeks. Waivers are taking several months.

Authorizations are taking several weeks. Waivers are taking several months.
Several WEEKS just for authorization??? Holy crap! How are we supposed to accurately schedule a shoot around weather changes several weeks in advance? And if I'm contacted by an agent, they usually want the shoot done as soon as possible so they can push a property. Several weeks is a nightmare...

It's a hassle and slows things down considerably. The last one I requested took 6 weeks. Note there is no confirmation upon submission and one day you'll get an email from a contracted employee of the FAA giving you the green light or red light, or requesting more information or giving you limits with your authorization.

Usually you can get a 4 month window for the lat/long you requested. Be sure to build a date range in your request.

My understanding is that they know this isn't ideal and are working towards an "instant" approval, but it will take time.

They can take up to 90 days. If you routinely work around an airport you should get them eaely. I have 2 for local military base and on for international airport. Here is a video on how the process works and my experiences with it.

Reactions: Briankbl

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4