Airport 5 Mile Radius Story... U.S. Gov't Hard at Work

Reaction score
So the other day I posted about about recently moving that is literally 150 feet within a 5 mile cone for an executive airfield. The consensus (to which I agreed) was to contact the airport to adhere to the notification obligation even though the majority of my flight time would be out of the cone. So here is my story...

Called the executive field which is a rather busy airport in itself. I spoke to a nice person who literally acted surprised that I was calling to notify them I was going to be flying (hobbyist). She informed me that they didn't need my information but that I could call our international (top 50 busiest in U.S.) airport as they would be who I needed to contact. I told her that I was not inside their 5 mile radius to which she replied that was it still who I should call. While on the phone, she said she would get me the number. After several minutes she still could not find the number while I listened to her flip through what sounded like a directory. I asked, "so do you get many nofitications about drones flying in proximity to your your airport?" She replied, "no, we rarely ever get calls." After a couple more minutes she says she can't find the number and could she put me on hold. I agreed it was fine. After a several more minutes she comes back on the line and says she has found a name and number. I took that name and number and thanked her. I promptly called the new number. I got a voice mail for the individual which stated that she was not available. I called randomly 4 more times during the day up to 7 pm. So I never hooked up with this supposed contact.

So, here I am trying to do the right thing and get nothing. I consider that I have done my due diligence as I have the name and number of the original person that I tried to notify, and also who she told me I was to call who it took her 10 minutes to locate. Apparently, at least where I am at, they don't seem overly concerned about our hobby.

I've had several dealings with the FAA to arrange commercial jobs 2 miles away from a large class C and they've been absolutely fantastic; I think they're just delighted that somebody is trying to play by the rules.

So off the record, if an executive aircraft is at 400 feet or less while 4.97 miles out from the closest airfield, chances are they have more problems than a pregnant nun.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4