Airplane travel for P4

Bought two Plano extra large gun cases ($64 each) -- they are on the heavy side -- my P3S and P4 now have new roomy homes -- good for most kind of travel. Am planning a cross country road trip based on interesting video opportunities. Off the beaten track.

This is only a good idea if you're not flying on the day you land.

Personal choice of course, but I consider it to always be a good idea to reduce the energy potential of the little incendiary bombs we call battery packs when traveling on an aircraft :)

... my need to charge upon landing tends to be a lesser consideration...

my backpack for my p3 fits just about everything I need.

20160412_150446_zpsjjfodma6.jpg

room for 4 batteries, charger, tablet, etc. Only thing I could foresee having and not being able to fit would be range extender.

This is the case I used to go to the Bahamas with. Lightweight, inexpensive and functional. Gets the job done. I didn't have any issues going through customs. Was actually surprised at how little fuss was made. Just checked through like a typical piece of luggage. Definitely carry on.

I took mine on hand luggage, wouldn't trust it in hold unless I had a hard case but then I'd still get worried about it not turning up.

I had my bird, all accessories, radio in one bag plus three batteries, one in the bird and two in the bags battery holder. I had two lipo fire proof bags too just in case (but didn't use them), and taped up the battery connections, not that they should ever get shorted any way.

Went through security, was obviously pulled up, but really they didn't have a clue, the guy got his supervisor, who also didn't really know what to do, so luckily I had re-searched my flight providers rules before and had them printed them off, showed them their regulations and was free to carry on.

Lucky BA are very good and have this, which is what I showed at secuirty, stating that I could have up to 4 batteries as if I remember correctly without looking their 1600mAH? - http://www.britishairways.com/cms/global/pdfs/lithium_battery.pdf

P.S DO NOT DISCHARGE THE BATTERIES, maybe have them at 60% but in some places they want to be able to see the electronics turned on, so if you can't turn your batteries on, they may confiscate them.

Absolutely carry on and you should drain the batterys before taking on a plane. If you feel the styrofoam case is good enough then by all means use it, it's what the whole package ships in so you can consider it safe, eventually you will outgrow that case with accessories, batteries, upgraded antenna etc.
The case does not come with any type of external straps so will have to be carried by hand which will also eventually annoy you, especially whilst travelling. In my opinion you should use the original case for now until you outgrow it and decide which accessories and how many batteries you need etc by that time P4 cases will be put through their trials and get some more reviews, also prices may settle down a bit. Also here is what seems to be turning into the P4 backpack thread New Phantom 4 Backpack
I bought the new P4 case with wheels from DroneWorld and am completely satisfied with it. Plenty of room for all the extras and the props stay on the bird in the case. Very tough case, reminds me of the Pelican Cases for firearms. A little pricey at $279, but I think its worth it.

I bought the new P4 case with wheels from DroneWorld and am completely satisfied with it. Plenty of room for all the extras and the props stay on the bird in the case. Very tough case, reminds me of the Pelican Cases for firearms. A little pricey at $279, but I think its worth it.
Here is and updated pic of my traveling backpack/case all equipped with my p4 and cameras/accessories

Attachments

• 1461192908963.jpg
    1461192908963.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 337

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1