Airplane mode. Yes or No?

Reaction score
Hello guys! Is there any recommendation of flying a P3P with an iPhone 6 in airplane mode? Fly in airplane mode or not? Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: tobeallque
It's a great way to limit distractions and free up resources on slower devices.

Reactions: aerea
In such case, I prefer a dedicated device for drone mode ;)
craigslist might have good deals on 1 or 2 gen old iPads and iPad Minis, I might invest on such :) YMMV.

If you have your maps pre-loaded, it's an easy way to eliminate the source of RF interference nearest to your RC. I generally use it, although I have no idea exactly how much benefit I'm getting by doing so.

Getting a phone call on an iPhone takes all priority, and will eliminate your DJI Go screen. This is not desirable, lol. In airplane mode, you won't get live map updating. I have dedicated an iPad Mini 2 for flying only. It is wifi only, so I cache maps for where I will be flying ahead of time. I find the Mini screen to be so much better that the 6 screen size wise.

Using my Nexus 6, I always put it in airplane mode. The one time I forgot, my P3P booted to a "compass error" message: incentive to remember next time. I powered it off and back on after turning on airplane mode and the compass error went away. Of course, I recalibrated the compass anyway to be safe, but I think the RF interference from the phone caused the compass error since the RC/phone were only a couple feet away from the P3P when I turned it on.

Mike

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I want to watch an episode of road runner show where Coyote tries to catch/track the roadrunner with the help of a ACME autonomous featured drone and ...!

I got this idea after looking at your profile pic :)

Reactions: mikesmiley
I have an iPad air2 cellular. I don't turn anything off. I have no problems at all.. I also have an Nvidia Shield same deal I don't turn it off and have not noticed any issues leaving it on.. If I had voice capabilities I probably would shut it down to stop incoming calls that's it.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

The requirement for video processing on these mobile devices is very heavy and thus we should minimize number of other operations and apps running to have a smooth video. Airplane mode will ensure no connection to external world and even wifi will not try to look for available networks which consumes its battery.

You will not find anywhere that device should be operated on airplane mode but it is preferred to block all external networks during flights. One can cache maps if needed.

Reactions: liketogethigh
I have an iPad air2 cellular. I don't turn anything off. I have no problems at all.. I also have an Nvidia Shield same deal I don't turn it off and have not noticed any issues leaving it on.. If I had voice capabilities I probably would shut it down to stop incoming calls that's it.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
Same here, I put the phone on airplane mode but leave the tablets alone because I don't have them set up for txt's or anything that will interfere. Never had a problem. Yet...

The requirement for video processing on these mobile devices is very heavy and thus we should minimize number of other operations and apps running to have a smooth video. Airplane mode will ensure no connection to external world and even wifi will not try to look for available networks which consumes its battery.

You will not find anywhere that device should be operated on airplane mode but it is preferred to block all external networks during flights. One can cache maps if needed.
Thank you.

In such case, I prefer a dedicated device for drone mode ;)
craigslist might have good deals on 1 or 2 gen old iPads and iPad Minis, I might invest on such :) YMMV.

bought a brand new Samsung tab A 8" for 130 bucks!! the tablet is awesome! supposed to be a dedicated drone panel, but its too awesome and I use it for daily stuff too

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers