Airnest - Looking for Beta Testers

Your app looks great and I am looking forward to its release. Roughly speaking when do you think the final version will be released onto the App Store ?

If this latest update fixes the issues that a couple beta testers have experienced (note: it has for us but better to test thoroughly) Then we will post to the app store for review. So we are hoping to have it in public release within two or three weeks. The sooner the better for us, but best to have it thoroughly tested. Fortunately our Beta Testers have been amazing at providing bug reports and feedback so we have been able to move quite quickly.

Flew my first Path on Beta 1.1 (12) on iPad Air a little while ago without issues. Was out of Wi-Fi range but used my phone for mobile hotspot. I started out with a simple inward spiral path at minimum speed and altitude I believe at 20m. I did not select a POI and yawed around a bit during the Path using stick inputs, then returned to manual and brought it back. Path worked flawlessly. Shot on 4K 30 (UV filter only), this video is unedited just encoded to 720HD for Youtube. Great App thanks Justin et. al.:):):)! Are you going to add "Favorite Paths" ?

Last edited:
All sounds and looks pretty interesting. While I am on the Android side of things, can you put me on your Android Beta Tester list for when the time comes?

Thanks

Reactions: Justin Miller
Flew my first Path on Beta 1.1 (12) on iPad Air a little while ago without issues. Was out of Wi-Fi range but used my phone for mobile hotspot. I started out with a simple inward spiral path at minimum speed and altitude I believe at 20m. I did not select a POI and yawed around a bit during the Path using stick inputs, then returned to manual and brought it back. Path worked flawlessly. Shot on 4K 30 (UV filter only), this video is unedited just encoded to 720HD for Youtube. Great App thanks Justin et. al.:):):)! Are you going to add "Favorite Paths" ?

That's fantastic! Thanks for sharing!

Justin,

Will the beta program let me put the app on another device? I'm about to run over to Apple and pick up a mini 4. Also, which device are you using? I might get a wild hair on grab the Air 2 but I'm liking the form factor of the mini 4 better.

Justin,

Will the beta program let me put the app on another device? I'm about to run over to Apple and pick up a mini 4. Also, which device are you using? I might get a wild hair on grab the Air 2 but I'm liking the form factor of the mini 4 better.

We are using a mini as well. I also prefer the form factor and size. I also don't like the added weight of the full size making the controller that much more top heavy.

Yes the beta works like the App Store. Install it on all of your devices as you desire!

Let us know how it goes!

Thanks,

Justin

Reactions: gfredrone
We are using a mini as well. I also prefer the form factor and size. I also don't like the added weight of the full size making the controller that much more top heavy.

Yes the beta works like the App Store. Install it on all of your devices as you desire!

Let us know how it goes!

Thanks,

Justin
Awesome, thanks for the info!

Sometimes when I am drawing lines in path mode, I don't draw them super smoothly and it ends up with the P3 making small movements that I didn't neccesarily intend. It would be really cool if you could add a feature (with on/off toggle) to apply a smoothing effect/bezier curve constraint to the path to compensate for my bad drawing ability ;).

Here's a quick test from yesterday. When its really windy out, flying sideways into the wind has a tendency to get gear in the shot so I cropped it a little in premiere.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eddyfisher
Sometimes when I am drawing lines in path mode, I don't draw them super smoothly and it ends up with the P3 making small movements that I didn't neccesarily intend. It would be really cool if you could add a feature (with on/off toggle) to apply a smoothing effect to the path to compensate for my bad drawing ability

That's a good idea.

I have a question for you Justin . .. what is the large blue shaded circle with the blue/white dot in the center?

Sometimes when I am drawing lines in path mode, I don't draw them super smoothly and it ends up with the P3 making small movements that I didn't neccesarily intend. It would be really cool if you could add a feature (with on/off toggle) to apply a smoothing effect to the path to compensate for my bad drawing ability ;).

Tony, thank you for the feedback, I am bad at drawing myself. Unfortunately this issue is coming from the waypoint proximity location in the current firmware of DJI. They have a known, to the registered developers, but that if waypoints are too close the drone will fly away, you don't have to worry about it because the current firmware won't fly a flight path if they are to close. However we cannot smooth them more than we already are without making them closer together.

We do apply the maximum corner radius smoothing that we can. When DJI fixes this issue we will get smoother.

Thanks for testing!

Justin

They have a known, to the registered developers, but that if waypoints are too close the drone will fly away, you don't have to worry about it because the current firmware won't fly a flight path if they are to close.
Could this be what causes a "Flight Error" when I draw a return line too close to an existing route?

That is the gps location of your iOS device. We will be removing it in the next update.
That would be great. My iPad Mini-2 doesn't have GPS so that blue circle tends to wander randomly around the screen even when I'm sitting still with the aircraft sitting still too.

I hope to test it extensively this weekend. I have several projects I think it might work well on.

Here's a quick test from yesterday. When its really windy out, flying sideways into the wind has a tendency to get gear in the shot so I cropped it a little in premiere.

I might be able to add a straight line feature if that would be helpful?

Awesome shot!

Could this be what causes a "Flight Error" when I draw a return line too close to an existing route?

That would be great. My iPad Mini-2 doesn't have GPS so that blue circle tends to wander randomly around the screen even when I'm sitting still with the aircraft sitting still too.

I hope to test it extensively this weekend. I have several projects I think it might work well on.

Really jagged drawing had caused us errors in the last build but we believe we solved most of if not all of those issues. I'm curious whether TestFlight gave you the right version since the Flight Invalid error text was changed in the latest build. You may want to try deleting the app and re-installing it from TestFlight.

For instance this flight would always kick an error in the last build but actually works in the current build, not that you'd actually want to fly it!

Look forward to your thoughts after this weekend! I may be pushing another update tomorrow or Sunday.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1445023278.262396.jpg

I'll give that a shot right after work today. I'll let you know either way.

I could see doing something like that when doing a Search & Rescue type mission but probably not that tightly lol

Yes, the big blue circle has a blue dot in the center that says current location, but I'm not there. It has a green H at my current location which is half a block away. Thanks for taking that out in the next revision.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl