Airnest - Looking for Beta Testers

What mode should you be in when you start the mission?

And does toggeling modes give you back control if you need to abort in mid mission?

Do the sticks have any input during flight? It would be handy to be able to change altitude on the fly.

What mode should you be in when you start the mission?

And does toggeling modes give you back control if you need to abort in mid mission?

Do the sticks have any input during flight? It would be handy to be able to change altitude on the fly.

You have to be in F-Mode, you can switch to P-Mode to stop any automated flight and take manual control back. As far as I can tell at the moment the DJI SDK will not allow stick input in the waypoint mode we are using. I will look into that further.

You have to be in F-Mode, you can switch to P-Mode to stop any automated flight and take manual control back. As far as I can tell at the moment the DJI SDK will not allow stick input in the waypoint mode we are using. I will look into that further.

If you are using the DJI SDK WP implementation, it should allow right stick control to increase/decrease speed. also, it should allow camera control via yawing and pitching the gimbal.

out of curiosity, when a path is drawn, what kind of formula do you use to determine how many waypoints to send to the AC? also, do you send it using the SDK's curved turns?

If you are using the DJI SDK WP implementation, it should allow right stick control to increase/decrease speed. also, it should allow camera control via yawing and pitching the gimbal.

out of curiosity, when a path is drawn, what kind of formula do you use to determine how many waypoints to send to the AC? also, do you send it using the SDK's curved turns?

There are a couple waypoint modes in the SDK, the one we are using will not allow yaw control if you set a POI, since you are indicating that you want the drone to handle the yaw when you do so. We are also automating the pitch of the gimbal, however there is a switch make that manual if you desire. I cannot speak to the right stick control for speed, that might very well work as I have not tried it. I will test and get back to you.

We reduce the waypoints based on proximity. There is a bug in the firmware that does not allow Waypoints to be too close to each other. We then run another formula that will determine the bearing between the current waypoint and the next two way points. If the bearing change is under a certain amount we ditch waypoint 2, and then re-calculate. No need for 3 or more waypoints in a straight line. It will continue to do this, increasing the bearing change until the number of waypoints is within the DJI allowable limits. Also yes we are curving the waypoints, that is calculated automatically.

Wow, just tried this and am very impressed.
Would it be possible to have the drone slow down as it reaches the end of the path as it stops rather abruptly, or be able to control the speed manually.

I'm looking forward to testing it some more

Wow, just tried this and am very impressed.
Would it be possible to have the drone slow down as it reaches the end of the path as it stops rather abruptly, or be able to control the speed manually.

I'm looking forward to testing it some more

Currently there is no way to ease out of a speed that I am aware of. The SDK requires a speed for the entire waypoint flight. This however is something we can request from DJI. Another poster mentioned that you might be able to slow it down with the remote. I will try this and report my findings here.

Really glad you like it, look forward to someone posting a video of their app experience *fingers crossed* :)

I had a blast at lunch time flying it today. I'm going to go submit my flight report right now so it's logged in your system.

Reactions: Justin Miller
For those looking for a manual here is a quick start guide we put together for the Path tool. Quick Start for the Point tool will be coming probably tonight or tomorrow morning. Let me know if anything here is confusing or you still have questions.

Getting Started - Path
Excellent Quick Start guide.

I planned on flying today but North Texas decided to be extra windy.
Colorado too... I did try to fly a Path at lunch however and got an error code (sorry I didn't record it) that would not allow the bird to launch. I had calibrated the compass with GO before switching to Airnest. I'll try again in the morning or this evening if the wind calms.

Awesome! Thanks!
suggestions for future improvements:

when user doesn't set POI and AC yaw isn't automated, allow user to control both pitch and yaw. so AC flies itself, but user can be camera man.

to improve on above, allow use of left/right stick to control gimbal (like inspire 2nd operator) instead of using the pitch dial... it's more precise.

suggestions for future improvements:

when user doesn't set POI and AC yaw isn't automated, allow user to control both pitch and yaw. so AC flies itself, but user can be camera man.

to improve on above, allow use of left/right stick to control gimbal (like inspire 2nd operator) instead of using the pitch dial... it's more precise.

tomtnt, Thank you for the feedback! I am going to go ahead and test your first request and see if we can include it in the next update.

As for using one of the sticks to control yaw and gimbal I will have to look into this, I am not sure it is possible currently with the SDK but I will check it out. I agree with you that it would be a nice control scheme, I am only concerned that in the event of an emergency and the user needs to switch to P Mode to get manual control that the sticks wouldn't change back to normal. However, I will look into it.

Looks like in the video, it comes home on a shortest path, not the path it took to get there, correct? Have to make sure you are high enough to cover those trees!
Yeah, I noticed that, too! :eek:
Be careful out there!:cool:

We added metric conversions in the latest update. We absolutely detest menu's so we made it really simple. You just touch the altitude label at the top of the app in the Drone Status bar. All measurement changes are dynamic and persistent, meaning they will save when you close the app.

Here is a short demonstration.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Reactions: nickyb
Your app looks great and I am looking forward to its release. Roughly speaking when do you think the final version will be released onto the App Store ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers