AirMap question

Reaction score
I was using the hover app but it didn't show any heliports so I downloaded airmap and noticed this blue area CZEG (edmonton CAE1)
I'm wondering if anyone knows what this is and if it is a no fly zone. It's Wabamun lake in Alberta

Thanks

eda3a8601f15a992ebc57e84669f8dc3.jpg
3fc6bb9eca03c79d1572884465bdfc3d.jpg

I use Airmap all the time and have often contacted them with questions or suggestions or bugs and they have responded quickly- like within 30 minutes. I'd recommend contacting them. I have not seen the blue area like that. Try zooming out and see what all it covers and pull your yellow bar up to see what it says.

CZEG is Edmonton International Airport which is controlled B airspace, looking at SkyVector.com the area near the lake seems to be outside the outer ring of the airspace, but it is also under an air route which is beginning at 1200 feet AGL that abuts uncontrolled airspace.

As far as I can tell you could fly there under 90 meters from the ground. You could always call the airport as I can't tell from the picture you sent exactly where you are on the lake.

Last edited:
Reactions: TedN
This is why I am confused, Wabamun is 90km away from Edmonton international airport as per google maps using roads so I'd say a straight shot to the lake would be about 60-65 km. The blue circle that's by the lake looks larger than the 9km circles around all of the airports. There is a power plant in the lake, but there are other power plants in the area with nothing around them.

e98d277dcecdfde667ed1f28150f1fb0.jpg

Looking at airmap.io the area is listed as (E to the ground)
airmap.jpg

But looking on skyvector.com which is a vfr sectional chart and would be more accurate it looks like the airspace under 1200 feet AGL would be G as most of the lake is under the blue fade, and the parts that are not (i.e. the north east end of the lake) seem to be under G airspace
skyvector.jpg

And the floor of the outer ring says 95 (9500 feet MSL)
Like I said before it looks like you can fly there as long as you follow the Canadian rules for UAV/RPAS (drones) Just remember that the lake is under that victor airway (Low Level Airway) and aircraft will be flying overhead above (1200 ft AGL) but if you follow the 90m rule that should not effect you.

That's my best take on it as a part 107 flyer here in the USA.
You can always call the airport.

Last edited:
I got the same thing going on in Edmonton and St. Albert. Alberta.
It's all over as far as B.C I'm thinking because of the fires burning in High Level, Alberta. Poor visibility.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen