AirMap.io Distinctions: Commercial vs. Airspace

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've been researching flying in a few big cities around the USA and have been studying AirMap.io to figure out what's possible. I noticed that selecting the "Commercial" toggle button shows the limits around airports clearly, but selecting the airport Class shows a larger radius around the airport.
Mousing over "Commercial" says that it's indicating areas where commercial drone operators need authorization to fly in. Seems like that's the airspace distinction.
So why would the Airspace Class radius be larger than that? As a Part 107 flyer conducting commercial drone operations, I'm confused about which one is the true legal boundary. Is Commercial an older distinction from 333?

Thanks!

Do yourself a favor and buy current, (they expire every 56 days), FAA Sectional and/or TAC charts for the areas you plan to fly. Learn to read them. Then, check for current TFR's. I have very little faith in 3rd party apps. Sectional/TAC charts are the bible in this game. Here is a link to a place to start, but paper charts are the way to go.
VFRMAP - Digital Aeronautical Charts

Reactions: Falcon900
Airmap still has the old 333 rules of notifying airports when within 3 miles vs 5 for hobby. Has its uses, but like Crack said, sectionals are the bible.

Hi all,
I've been researching flying in a few big cities around the USA and have been studying AirMap.io to figure out what's possible. I noticed that selecting the "Commercial" toggle button shows the limits around airports clearly, but selecting the airport Class shows a larger radius around the airport.
Mousing over "Commercial" says that it's indicating areas where commercial drone operators need authorization to fly in. Seems like that's the airspace distinction.
So why would the Airspace Class radius be larger than that? As a Part 107 flyer conducting commercial drone operations, I'm confused about which one is the true legal boundary. Is Commercial an older distinction from 333?

Thanks!

I bring your attention to the one section of AIrmap's "Terms of Use". I am sure that all of the other 3rd party apps have similar "Terms of Use" wording, but I am not going to bother to check, because I would not consider using them.
"Any and all airspace maps, airspace data and flight restrictions provided through the Apps (a) may contain inaccuracies and are provided for informational purposes only, (b) do not constitute an official aeronautical source, (c) are not exhaustive and (d) may not be updated regularly or monitored for compliance. Even though the Apps may designate a map area as open or free of flight restrictions, this does not mean that we recommend that area for drone flight and we cannot guarantee that you may legally operate your UAV within that area."

I feel compelled to add the following abbreviated quote from the FAA:
  1. …”the issue of current chart data bases in handheld GPS receivers is a non-issue because the units are neither approved by the FAA or required for flight, ... as the pilot is responsible for pilotage under VFR.
  2. “If a pilot is involved in an enforcement investigation and there is evidence that the use of an out-of-date chart, no chart, or an out-of-date database contributed to the condition that brought on the enforcement investigation, then that information could be used in any enforcement action that might be taken.”
Buy a current FAA Sectional. That's what pilots do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Best I can tell, by looking at my home airspace (KROC) (specifically using the Cobbs Hill area) is that AirMap displays the area around a Class C airport in SM when in Recreational mode and in NM when in Commercial mode. This is with "Controlled Airspace" options unchecked.

Even more confusing (as Richard R points out) is the area around Class G airports. For Commercial It shows a smaller area than Rec. per 333 rules.

So I uncheck both "Recreational" and "Commercial" options and only use the "Controlled Airspace" when flying Commercial as the Commercial setting shows all Class G airports.

Better yet, use Explorer for ARCGIS app (or arcgis.com for online) with the UAV_107_Airspace map for Commercial.

Best I can tell, by looking at my home airspace (KROC) (specifically using the Cobbs Hill area) is that AirMap displays the area around a Class C airport in SM when in Recreational mode and in NM when in Commercial mode. This is with "Controlled Airspace" options unchecked.

Even more confusing (as Richard R points out) is the area around Class G airports. For Commercial It shows a smaller area than Rec. per 333 rules.

So I uncheck both "Recreational" and "Commercial" options and only use the "Controlled Airspace" when flying Commercial as the Commercial setting shows all Class G airports.

Better yet, use Explorer for ARCGIS app (or arcgis.com for online) with the UAV_107_Airspace map for Commercial.
Better yet. Use an FAA Sectional.

Better yet. Use an FAA Sectional.
I checked SkyVector.com and VFRMap.com, both sectional charts. However, I appreciate the fact that apps/websites like B4UFly and AirMap have actual streets/landmarks with the airspace radius' superimposed. Sectional charts just aren't accurate enough for me, especially when we're talking about an area where one city block is in Class B and the next city block is in G. If I was reading that from a sectional chart, it'd be impossible to know exactly where it started.
Sectional Chart reading works great from the sky or for estimations, but not when I'm walking around with a drone in a backpack trying to find a place to legally take off.

Last edited:
I checked SkyVector.com and VFRMap.com, both sectional charts. However, I appreciate the fact that apps/websites like B4UFly and AirMap have actual streets/landmarks with the airspace radius' superimposed. Sectional charts just aren't accurate enough for me, especially when we're talking about an area where one city block is in Class B and the next city block is in G. If I was reading that from a sectional chart, it'd be impossible to know exactly where it started.
Sectional Chart reading works great from the sky or for estimations, but not when I'm walking around with a drone in a backpack trying to find a place to legally take off.

Another advantage of ForeFlight - it knows exactly where you are on the map.

Another advantage of ForeFlight - it knows exactly where you are on the map.
Thanks, I'll check it out

I appreciate everyone's answers about the AirMap distinctions. Thanks!

Reactions: BigAl07
Thanks, I'll check it out

I appreciate everyone's answers about the AirMap distinctions. Thanks!
Airmap allows you to toggle between Sectional & Google Earth views while maintaining position. sar104 (above), is absolutely correct, ForeFlight is a premium aviation mapping, (and more) service that would be excellent for sUAS. I have not been mentioning it because it is a paid subscription service that I did not think most would want to subscribe to.

Reactions: BigAl07
I look at it like this... The cost of a sectional chart and/or ForeFlight subscription is minimal when you factor in what a mistake could cost. Odds are you'll not have any problems but if there is a problem it's on your back. And you can't say "I didn't know" because so much of your Part 107 training and testing deals with FAA Sectional Charts. I would imagine "I didn't know" will get you a laugh and an infraction at the same time.

If you're going to be a "Commercial/Civil" operation then you need to have the right tools to help ensure you're operating safely and in the correct airspace.

I look at it like this... The cost of a sectional chart and/or ForeFlight subscription is minimal when you factor in what a mistake could cost. Odds are you'll not have any problems but if there is a problem it's on your back. And you can't say "I didn't know" because so much of your Part 107 training and testing deals with FAA Sectional Charts. I would imagine "I didn't know" will get you a laugh and an infraction at the same time.

If you're going to be a "Commercial/Civil" operation then you need to have the right tools to help ensure you're operating safely and in the correct airspace.
You are correct. My feeling is that Foreflight is the way to go today. Sectionals used to be 50 cents, now they are $7-9 dollars. A ForeFlight subscription covering the entire USA is $99 a year, if I am not mistaken.
And I will quote again, from the FAA:
“If a pilot is involved in an enforcement investigation and there is evidence that the use of an out-of-date chart, no chart, or an out-of-date database contributed to the condition that brought on the enforcement investigation, then that information could be used in any enforcement action that might be taken.”

You are correct. My feeling is that Foreflight is the way to go today. Sectionals used to be 50 cents, now they are $7-9 dollars. A ForeFlight subscription covering the entire USA is $99 a year, if I am not mistaken.
“If a pilot is involved in an enforcement investigation and there is evidence that the use of an out-of-date chart, no chart, or an out-of-date database contributed to the condition that brought on the enforcement investigation, then that information could be used in any enforcement action that might be taken.”

That's correct - without the synthetic vision it is $99 per year, and I think that is a bargain for what you get, even if you only fly sUAS.

That's correct - without the synthetic vision it is $99 per year, and I think that is a bargain for what you get, even if you only fly sUAS.
It is a bargain for what you get. My concern is that what you get is far more then a sUAS driver needs or may want to buy into. I emailed ForeFlight to suggest that they consider a "watered down" version tailored to the sUAS pilot. If they removed Glide Advisor, Sids, Stars, Taxi Charts, IFR Charts, Terrain/Hazard Advisor, Touch Flight Planning & Routing, Routing Advisor, Altitude & Procedure Advisor and maybe even Airmets/Sigmets, and add in Part 101 & Part 107 specifics, they could get it to a price point that a considerable number of sUAS folks, (whether they be Part 101 or Part 107), might buy into it. That could make for more informed pilots, safer flying and improved credibility with the public & government.

Reactions: sar104 and BigAl07

And before it gets to that, if you find out you've accidentally violated a F.A.R., be sure to file a N.A.S.A. report to CYA. I have.

ASRS - Aviation Safety Reporting System
F.A.A. - Have You Filed Your NASA Report? - Law Offices of Richard T. Miller
NASA report: Your 'get out of jail free' card? - AOPA

Last edited:
And before it gets to that, if you find out you've accidentally violated a F.A.R., be sure to file a N.A.S.A. report to CYA. I have.

ASRS - Aviation Safety Reporting System
F.A.A. - Have You Filed Your NASA Report? - Law Offices of Richard T. Miller
NASA report: Your 'get out of jail free' card? - AOPA
You are correct but, I want to add one thing just so everyone reading this does not falsely believe that it really is a "get out of jail/trouble" card. As "daveisim" accurately stated, the operative word is, "accidentally". You cannot file a N.A.S.A. report to get out of trouble for a willful/intentional violation.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl