Airborne Australian

Reaction score
Hello to friendlies all over earth...........I have been flying hang gliders for a few years now and recently had a friend follow me with his Phantom 3 Drone for an extreme sports film.
I was amazed at how well it was able to maintain it's position and follow me with ease, so after landing and packing up my Glider I had a quick flight of the Drone. So much fun just standing there flying a little white Bumble bee about and doing some nice banking and sticky beaking in to some areas from high above that I have never seen before.
I still do not have one yet but I am going to get one ASAP ( Probably looking for a cheap 2nd hander to begin with ) but have layed money down for the Phantom 4 once it hits Australian shores in a few weeks time.
I figure I can learn all the basics and get some XP with the first cheap drone ( watching a banged up P2 on trading post ) and then be a better pilot for when I get the P4 in my grubby mitts. Having a second one doubles as a good fun past time by being able to fly about with my kids anyway so why not.

I'm also interested in learning about any laws that are currently in place for USA members as we do not have them yet in Australia but no doubt will adopt something similar given the AU govt can not think for itself.

Cheers

Bane.

I'm also interested in learning about any laws that are currently in place for USA members as we do not have them yet in Australia but no doubt will adopt something similar given the AU govt can not think for itself.
Welcome to the forum.
Your information source isn't good. ... Someone's telling you pork pies.
Australia has their own rules:
Model aircraft and RPA | Civil Aviation Safety Authority
https://www.casa.gov.au/file/119056/download?token=2qoGwLur

Thanks mate.

Yeh I have seen this before.
The infographic was more akin to the local scouts park rules compared to what I am speaking about.
Most of this information provided by Casa is Very Vague and when they say things in their ' Rules ' such as,

" CASA's thinking is that UAS pilots need general aviation knowledge in line with a private pilot's licence, as well as specific unmanned aircraft skills. "

it's merely the Author of the document stating what the General consensus is amongst the higher members and employees of CASA. This is Not Legislation and there is No ACT for the Police to lay charges upon Drone operators for nearly all of the points and rules listed except for the Airfield guidlines. This part is included in the ACT and is also covered by our FAA which is an Authority in this field and does make enforcement orders.

The points about flying for Commercial use is simply our Tax office making the point that if you get payed to Fly a RC aircraft then we need our cut as well. LoL Shocker.

I'm certain that the USA has Formal Legislation that has been passed in the govt and enacted as a Governmental ACT. ( LAW )
This is what Australia does not yet have. We just had a Massive uproar about the lack of Legislation specific to Drones on our Morning Gossip / World News show SUNRISE.

Do you have any links to the US Law for this bud?

Thanks.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31