Air dog autonomous flight

Reaction score
I know that this has got nothing to do with Phantoms but has anyone checked these out? The concept seems good but is it one of those too good to be true stories? http://www.airdog.com/ if they work you could get some unreal footage.

I've seen this over the internet a bunch of times already, but I never seen it being used myself. Maybe because they're not as popular, IMO. <- Possibly a bit biased statement since I only follow DJI because that's what I own.

I do know that 3D Robotics does have this feature and is available (and I believe had this feature before air dog even came around). If anyone wants to sponsor me, I want to give this one a try. :lol:

Yeah, I've been keeping my eye on them for a while now.

As far as I know, they're still in pre-order and are not yet available for general purchase.

And there are some issues that I'm still very interested to see how they solve.

The biggest problem I see is flight time. If you're out doing your activity - MotoX, boarding, surfing - you could be out for hours. The last thing you want to do is pause every 20 minutes to switch out the batteries.

I'm sure they're planning on having a RTH once the battery runs low... but we've seen how well that works for the Phantom in RL. What happens if your AirDog is out shooting you catching a wave, and decides it needs to go back and land? Do you distract yourself to make sure it makes it? What if the tides coming in and where the home point is is no longer high and dry?

Oh... plus... can you imagine how many punk snowboarders will have these things following them as they're coming down the mountain? You're going to need air traffic control just to avoid getting hit.

But... those issues aside, it could be very cool. I think the AirDog is innovative in that the "AirLeash" is built to be rugged and waterproof.

Geert said:
Yes, you are absolutely right, this has got nothing to do with Phantoms.
I will move your post to our Off Topic forum.

Geert./.
Wouldn't it fit more in "General Discussion"? Not related to DJIs or Phantoms, but still multi-rotor/hobby-related?

I'm just trying to get a clear picture of what the difference is between Off-Topic and General... and I thought that was it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj