Aiming controller at drone for max reception

Reaction score
I've searched the forum for information on this area, and found a thread noting that the compass should show if the antenna or controller is aimed at the drone.

However, under direct line of sight, my compass does not correlate with the drone position when I point the controller at the drone.

When looking at the drone, and pointing the remote at it, the compass is not pointing directly ahead. Indeed, rotating the drone makes the compass change and thus confuses the pointing of the remote.

So, the question is, when the drone is out of line of sight, how what can I use to orient the remote to confirm best antenna orientation.

If you mean you are pointing the antennas toward the drone, that's the worst you can do! Most of the radiation is perpendicular to the antennas, meaning you should point the antennas at a 90 degree angle to the direction of the drone. That is where most RF is and you will have the best chance of achieving maximum range that way. Good Luck!
Jim
WA5TEF

Not to disagree, but I'm using the MaxxUav antenna this is a flat antenna out with performs best when directed at the Drone.

Regardless, whethrt directed at the Drone or at 90 degrees to the Drone, your answer doesn't help me as it doesn't give me any insight as to how to know where are the Drone is with respect to my remote control.

So, question still is, how does one determine the direction that the Drone and oriented with regards to the remote control. Help is appreciated, thank you

If you do not have an accurate, working compass in your phone/tablet running GO/Litchi, then it will be very difficult to precisely determine direction to the aircraft.

If you have access to the map screen, you can get a pretty good idea of the direction to the aircraft by just looking at the map, and where it's located. Visual landmarks that you can see from where you are standing can be found on the map, orienting you, so you can point in the same direction the AC on the map.

I know some of you want like this, just take it easy on me. What he did was totally legal. He did move to the side to avoid flying over them. How is it unsafe? I don't remember, but I don't remember there being a horizontal limit. Just have to fly in a safe manner. If you substitute, drone in the place of aircraft, in this case, I am sure that there would be a group of people that feel that was unsafe. The aircraft pilot is trained, and goes for a check ride every two years to make certain he knows what he is doing. The plane is examined every year to make certain it is safe. If it is commercial, every 100 hours. Can't say that about the drone. I believe if you aren't use to being around planes, you are more likely to feel he was unsafe. Same with drones, we hear all the time how evil they are. This is just another way of looking at things.

Reactions: Bubz
I know some of you want like this, just take it easy on me. What he did was totally legal. He did move to the side to avoid flying over them. How is it unsafe? I don't remember, but I don't remember there being a horizontal limit. Just have to fly in a safe manner. If you substitute, drone in the place of aircraft, in this case, I am sure that there would be a group of people that feel that was unsafe. The aircraft pilot is trained, and goes for a check ride every two years to make certain he knows what he is doing. The plane is examined every year to make certain it is safe. If it is commercial, every 100 hours. Can't say that about the drone. I believe if you aren't use to being around planes, you are more likely to feel he was unsafe. Same with drones, we hear all the time how evil they are. This is just another way of looking at things.
Wrong thread?

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

What compass are you referring to?
Map has north lock and map orientation based on RC/mobile orientation. Make sure that is unlocked. Does your mobile have a compass? I discovered the Tab E has GPS but no compass.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I think you are confused lol... :)

I think you are confused lol... :)
Trump made me do it. Yea, that's it. I don't know how I did this. Watching to much news. That will confuse any one.:D

Apparently you can't use the big guys name on this forum.

Reactions: chadrob30
Not to disagree, but I'm using the MaxxUav antenna this is a flat antenna out with performs best when directed at the Drone.

Regardless, whethrt directed at the Drone or at 90 degrees to the Drone, your answer doesn't help me as it doesn't give me any insight as to how to know where are the Drone is with respect to my remote control.

So, question still is, how does one determine the direction that the Drone and oriented with regards to the remote control. Help is appreciated, thank you
MGS9500, sorry thought you were referring to the stock antennas. I looked that one up and am impressed! It is a flat panel phased array antenna that should give lot better gain over the stock antennas. As to the other part of your question, I am not sure. I fly with Litchi most of the time and the indicator on the screen points to the craft along with a line directly to and from the controller.
Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers