Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

AHHHH what happened!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Standard/4k Discussion' started by Twistedladle, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Twistedladle

So I increased my altitude limit today and went up 560ft. Which is respectable but I'm sure it can do more. But I lost video feed and the dji go app just completely disconnected. Then it told me my return to home command had timed out. My transmitter signal completely went away but I still had full wifi signal. I was able to just lower the altitude until I ended up landing it. I just don't feel I'm getting the range I should be. I had my antenna pointed straight out due to the Phantom being right above me. I was in a big open field and don't think there was any reason to lose signal. Any ideas? Any suggestion for a cheap mod that could give me better range? Thanks guys

2. JonE5

Watch the video about radio signals Dji made. Straight above you is a bad place to be.

3. Twistedladle

I can't find that video....do you have a link? I guess I wasn't right above me, probably about 25ft out but that might not make any difference.

4. John N Kronyak

I
    I've had my P3A up to 300 meters overhead with no problems.

5. Twistedladle

I have the standard. It doesn't have the same range but it should go higher than 170m

6. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Here's the cheapest mod to give you better range - don't fly straight up above yourself.
    You get optimum radio signal propagation when your controller antenna is parallel to and facing the Phantom antennas in its legs.
    This is impossible to achieve straight up and the further you go, the worse it gets.
    It's all about angles.
    Fly out away from yourself - not straight up.

kirby likes this.
  7. JonE5

Here the video

kirby likes this.