AHHHH BRICKED MY FC200 Camera

Many folks do not have the option however of bringing it back to their dealer if purchasing from DJI Direct and I sent mine back to Amazon and only have a window of a short time to allow that to happen. Problem is even though I am replacing mine, what happens 6 months from now on another update when they are not around to help you. Thus the reason, I am very hesitant to try to update the firmware on my new Phantom that is due for delivery this evening for me. If I know they were here to help, I would have no problem updating, but with lack of support, I am having a hard time taking that risk other than plan on shipping back to Amazon another time and they may resist in replacing a third time.

Yeah, unfortunately my dealer is about 1300 miles away. I finally got a hold of someone at DJI and they said they are trying frantically to figure out a fix, as this is becoming a large issue. So I guess we just need to hang out and get it figured out. Hopefully it won't take forever, but at least my "P2V Gopro" edition is covering those jobs I have this weekend.

Hotsink, I catch your drift and agree. Now that I have the Go pro I may invest in the P2wGimbal later this year, for more stable video and as a backup unit when the p2v does its monthly blow up, lol.

Glad I didn't update mine, that will be up to the new owner. Thankfully I never got around to the camera or the app updates. Although the app appears to be fixed. I was waiting for others to post the results. Is that wrong?
Sorry you guys are having to deal with this. I would be a bit pissed myself.

vbluguitar
Got back in the air today but not with pv but my new addition the p2
Got to say I don't mind how quicker it is to get up in the air
no phone no app no range extender
was on Controller on p2 wait for gps and off
Haven't seen the footage yet but should be interesting as my wind gauge clocked a 48k wind gust while flying ....

wow what a difference with a gimbal makes the vision footage look like your sea sick at a rave party lol
:shock:
maybe evil dji and go pro have hatched a plan to make us go out and by new phantoms and go pros ..... and called it firmware update
" Phantom 2 Vision FC200 Firmware v1.1.9
2014-01-20
ZIP "

hell i'm happy now :)

ok the only thing i see from the vid that i did different was not format the card from the app ..
cant try to see if this is the fix as my vision is with my dealer can anyone confirm this is also a fix for the orange light of death.
as the text at the end says if you stuff it up try again

I think I'm still 'chicken' to go with the update. I'll wait a while (quite a while . . .) before I dive in. ;) ...

I received the following email from B&H earlier regarding this firmware thing...

FW: Vision FC200 firmware 1.1.9 upgrade Notice
Jay Rosenbaum [[email protected]]

Sent: Friday, January 24, 2014 11:52 AM
Attachments:

Sent: Friday, January 24, 2014 12:47 PM
To: Jay Rosenbaum
Subject: FW: Vision FC200 firmware 1.1.9 upgrade Notice

Dear DJI dealer

RD solution for 2 problems.

1. FC200 was defected after upgrading to 1.1.9

2. FC200 flash red and upgrading always failed for many times.

For 1, user has to go to dealer/DJI for replacement camera.

For 2, format the SD card first via Vision App then do the upgrade again.

Before copying the “firmware.bin” to the SD CARD, use the vision camera to format the SD CARD.

Best Regards,

http://www.dji.com

happydays said:
I just did mine - absolutely no problems. Watch the wee video on DJI's site and follow that.

Did you format your card from the app prior to placing the firmware.bin file on it?

I really, really wanted the RAW with the updated firmware, thus reason I tried and got the bricked camera. I believe I did everything like the video, so not sure why, but I sent mine back while I could and got a new Phantom. Amazon was great, they shipped with one day shipping to replace and I got mine yesterday. Still, haven't tried to update again due to knots in my stomach from last time. Just not so sure about trying it again. Feel like I should try, but just wish they would fess up and say it should work unless I did something wrong. If it was me doing it wrong, I would not hesitate, but believe I did it all right as they show. Can't say for positive however. I could have possibly formatted on my computer also, just not positive and can't remember for sure! Don't want to wait too long without RAW if I can have it and still be covered by Amazon if all goes bad again. Maybe I will get brave and go for it anyway........maybe.

This is the second time a DJI product has failed our company. Originally we bought the Phantom I with the Go Pro and the first flight after the firmware update we experienced a fly away. Of course DJI never answers or replies to our calls and emails so we lost the $1,800 we invested in the drone, go pro, and blue tooth devices. We're still considering a civil law suit for the cost of the drone and consequential damanges.

We decided to give DJI another chance, cut our losses and work on the law suit later. So we bought the Phantom Vision II thinking DJI finally got their stuff together. Our Phantom Vision was working perfectly without problems until we tried to do the FC200 camera firmware update. We read all material available prior to performing the firmware update knowing that other people have experienced problems. We followed instructions exactly as described and our camera is now "bricked" with a orange light flashing. We have only flown this drone maybe 8 times and have had the drone for less than a month. It's sad and we feel like DJI has done us wrong. I wouldn't rely on a DJI product unless you plan on NEVER doing a firmware update. DJI sure is good at marketing, and collecting thousands of dollars from people but they have absolutely NO customer service or support. If you were able to get help from DJI, consider yourself lucky. As of right now, we've tried everything and are unable to get the camera to work and we were supposed to do a $500 job this weekend. We would have two drones (one for back up) but as I mentioned before our first drone flew away. I feel stupid for wasting almost $3,000 on DJI products.

Fellow P2V'ers... At this time I do not recommend updating Vision's Camera firmware unless you absolutely require DNG RAW capability, or if your firmware is older than v1.1.8 require 50Hz video system compatibility (default compatibility is 60Hz).

If you choose to upgrade I suggest you take advantage of the Upgrade Firmware Sticky on this forum and follow the outlined steps precisely. These were tested & confirmed by yours truly and to date I have experienced no failures. DJI's instructions are not as detailed nor do they offer help in the event you have issues afterwards. Their new video is pretty accurate but I suggest you read the steps in the sticky and follow it exactly. Having said that, that doesn't guarantee you'll be equally successful.

Before upgrading, ask yourself if you're willing to be without camera (and possibly Vision) until you contact DJI & your dealer and they seek & release approval to repair or furnish you a replacement? If the answer to that is an immediate "no" then don't set yourself up for a regret you can easily avoid. Eventually they will figure out why some upgrades fail and you'll be able to safely upgrade at a later date.

When that day comes, I'll upgrade the Sticky.

Respectfully,
iDrone

My upgrade appeared to work perfectly fine... Flashed amber while upgrading, then went solid green... Powered off vision, removed card to verify .bak file was present... The file did get successfully renamed... I then removed the file... Placed card (original micro SD) back into camera, powered on vision, got constant flashing amber... Tried again and again... No luck...

When 1.1.8 was released a few weeks ago, I upgraded without a hitch... Same way of course...

I contacted DJI in China because no one answers the US line... Call was immediately answered... I explained what I did and what happened... I even asked about the "factory reset" that's mentioned... I was told that I need to return the camera to the dealer where I purchased for a replacement... He said that a factory reset can only be done there at DJI...

I initiated an RMA with B&H (again)... I did this over the phone and the rep said that they have had "many" of these problems the last two days... They said send the ENTIRE unit back, not just camera... They also upgraded my replacement shipping to Next Day Air... B&H seems to be really good at handling things, just wish it didn't take so long to complete the process...

This problem is so strange... There's many that DONT have the issue and then there's those who do... It's really kinda hard to screw up the upgrade... Use the original card, copy the firmware.bin file to root, place in vision, power on... Once it turns solid green, power off, remove card, verify bak file was created and then remove it, place card back in vision and power on...

The only thing I did NOT do was format the card immediately prior to putting the bin file on it using the app... I didn't do this because the card was previously formatted using the app... I just placed the file on the card... This is way too strange...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik