AHHHH BRICKED MY FC200 Camera

Reaction score
Tried to update to 1.1.9. Everything went fine, - light went green and the camera made the backup file. Then I restarted the phantom and now the camera just flashes orange... HELP.

I tried reflashing, no dice. Not sure what else to do. Does anyone know how to reset this thing?

I wanted to add this video clip of the malfunction

[youtube]http://youtu.be/e1M3TdjIRd0[/youtube]

http://youtu.be/e1M3TdjIRd0

The camera won't turn off once on.

DJI themselves mention a "factory reset" but there's no indication anywhere I've seen as to whether this is something we can do, or whether it actually means sending it back to the factory... :(

As long as you followed the manufacturers steps I'd say you have grounds for a warranty return/replacement of the camera unit. If no one has a cure for you it might well be worth speaking to your dealer.

YEAH, That is what I am afraid of. DANG. I am almost wanting to see if dronefly will let me trade it for a non camera P2 and Go pro. I have clients weekly that I use this for and this is the second unit I have had go bad. I don't have time for this crap.

vbluguitar said:
YEAH, That is what I am afraid of. DANG. I am almost wanting to see if dronefly will let me trade it for a non camera P2 and Go pro. I have clients weekly that I use this for and this is the second unit I have had go bad. I don't have time for this crap.

Not sure but there is a small button on the back of the camera and if it's like a lot of other devices. Either holding it in with power on for 10 secs or holding it and turning on the power might reset it.

I thought I read somewhere that to reset the camera, you have to open it up but maybe I was dreaming.

Super-D said:
Sorry about that.... it's not a button it's the status indicator.

There is a button on the bottom. I tried it already, but will try again. This is frustrating.

NOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!
i have done the same thing you did with the same result camera is not working tried everything dont know how many times i've kicked the phantom box and the cat lol..
has dji sent out the orange light of DEATH ???

Sorry to hear that Hotsink. I have been trying to get a hold of both DJI and Dronefly for 2 days now with 0 success. I am starting to get nervous at their silence.

I have 2 clients that are expecting me to show up with the drone over the next couple of days. I may lose 600 bucks if both decide not to use me because my drone is down. They buy my ground photo services, but I give them the drone photos for free and they both wanted them.

At this point I am considering running out and buying a Go Pro 3 to "staple" to the chopper and setting it on continuous shoot mode. Very frustrating situation.

I've been working hard on my end to find a solution as well have rang the store I got it from and they will look at it on Friday
but been searching the forums the only thing I could find was a guy who had s similar problem but was not with the current update he basically said it turned into a brick and got the camera replaced ... If I get any answers I let you know. I also am off to some wonderful beach locations this weekend and was wanting to capture this with the phantom .. lets hope we get this fixed asap

In your conversations with dealer & DJI it would be terrific if you guys could pin them down on the meaning of "...may need Factory Reset". Does that mean the camera has to be removed & reflashed using a proprietary cable, serial interface, & application running on a PC by the factory or dealer? Or does that mean it can be initialized in the field by some button combo?

I ask on behalf of Vision owners patiently waiting in the wings hesitating to upgrade their cameras for fear of them being bricked... and like you, would like to know what their options are in advance of possible disaster.

iDrone

If there's no physical reset buttons anywhere, there may just be contact points to short on the PCB.

Or it could be through one of the cables ports, at the service center they use a special cable with the button\short required to reset..

From what I can gather myself and vbluguitar
Have both gone and installed the latest update for the camera enable raw photos and somewhere something has gone
Wrong . I had loaded the firmware upgrade and even deleted the
changed bin file on the card after that powered back up and the light on the camera stays orange and you cannot connect bind or do anything it as you say it a brick ... I would not advice installing any firmware on the camera unless you know how to undo it if things go wrong which dji keep reference to factory reset which seems no one knows how to do..or how it is done taking mine in this week for them to have a look so either I walk out with it fixed or it comes out looking like a phantom 2 ready to strap my go pro on .
Lol

I had successful update but camera would never connect and I had a brick for a camera and yesterday I called and after many, many attempts, I finally got someone at DJI to answer and when he had me turn everything back on, mine connected for the first time since update while on phone (go figure) and worked fine.......at that time (I was at work). He told me it wasn't all to uncommon and it is good news that the update did go through as it should have if it flashed yellow and then flashed green and sounded like it was fixable. Since mine worked while on the phone after a lot of tries the night before doing resets and I even did a Bind procedure but no luck originally before I got a person on the phone. It took a good while, but they did answer.
Problem is that I tried to test fly last night and it started and did great but noticed that the screen shot on iPHone was a little bright. I took a photo at 60 foot and it got so bright on the screen that I couldn't not fly by the screen. I took another photo and then the screen went black and after multiple photos testing it, I never recovered from the Black screen. I got aggravated and felt like I could no longer depend on the entire thing and I am using it for my work and if I can't depend on it, I had the option of sending it back to Amazon since I only bought it a couple of weeks ago, so I am doing that. I boxed it up and sending it back today and they are shipping me a new one. DJI probably can help if needed, but I didn't want to let me time run out before replacement of the Phantom Vision, so I opted to just get a new one right off the bat. Kinda gun shy about doing another update on the firmware on my next version but looks like most have had no issue. Mine worked while on the phone after everything was turned off and had a good nights sleep and woke up refreshed and worked fine it seemed until it took a nap for the rest of the day and then acted up again yesterday evening when testing it.
There is another thread with my experience in it that can be read, but most all are having good luck with theirs. Figures I got stuck! Wished mine wouldn't have worked when I called DJI so that I could have proceeded to get a fix from their support guy and could have advised further here for the others that have a brick hanging from their Phantom. Sorry, Wish I could have helped, but having mine replaced.

vbluguitar said:
Sorry to hear that Hotsink. I have been trying to get a hold of both DJI and Dronefly for 2 days now with 0 success. I am starting to get nervous at their silence.

I have 2 clients that are expecting me to show up with the drone over the next couple of days. I may lose 600 bucks if both decide not to use me because my drone is down. They buy my ground photo services, but I give them the drone photos for free and they both wanted them.

At this point I am considering running out and buying a Go Pro 3 to "staple" to the chopper and setting it on continuous shoot mode. Very frustrating situation.

If you are a professional photographer I bet you'll never go to a shoot without AT LEAST one back-up camera. And surely you'll have even more redundant equipment 'at the shop'. So if you use this professionally I'd say go and buy that extra camera and use that. Possibly losing 600 bucks versus a smaller investment is a no brainer AFAIC. The moment you use equipment professionally you NEED back-up equipment.

Just my $0.02

All fine and well if they replace it but a simple firmware update via a usb card
is a bit ancient .. hell I love the vision but updated methods are a bit too be desired.
Open the controller to put a usb cable in to update take the small arse micro sd card in and out for an update ... The easy part is the flying
Why everything can't be via the usb port only dji know maybe phantom 5 will just upgrade itself when it's flying like our smart phones ..

Hi, I'm new round these parts but thought I would share my experience of the upgrade as I too am looking for a solution. I installed the firmware as per dji's instructions and got the green light and the back up file on the sd card. When I clicked camera in the app it took me to the camera but only showed a black screen. I decided to reboot everything and have been left with a flashing amber light on the camera :(

The camera seems to connect to the range extender, but I have no access to the camera in the app. I also noticed that the gimbal seems to be acting in reverse. I've tried reflashing the firmware with no success. My dealer got in touch with dji and their instructions are:

Hi,

Please advise him to connect to the repeater and not the camera and he should perform the upgrade again, with deleting the file from the SD Card and pay attention to the order switching on his devices.

Thanks

Make of that what you will.

Whatever the problem is I'm sure I will get it resolved, it's just a bit frustrating to have such a wonderful little machine that I can't fly at the moment.

I will try and make some sense of DJI's instructions tonight, will post back with the results.

Hey it still flies be it blinded but please keep us informed how you go
seems we are all having the dji orange light of death and I'm guessing with the current camera update release this week there may well be more so if we can find an answer it will be shorter out come for those to experience this yet.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj