Agree? "DJI PHANTOM 3 | Best camera settings …"

If I'm not going to playback in 4k, or at least I assume my audience won't.. Is it still recommended to always shoot in 4k?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
It is not "recommended", you do what you want, It's all about choices depending on what you try to achieve. When 4K will be the standard for the masses, then yes it ill be recommended...

If I'm not going to playback in 4k, or at least I assume my audience won't.. Is it still recommended to always shoot in 4k?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

You definitely still want to shoot in 4K. Even if your final output will be 1080, you want to capture as much information as possible. As an added bonus (if your output is 1080), you can punch in during post production and have the ability to reframe your shots with zero quality loss. Very helpful for this type of work, since at times you might deal with factors that cause your composition to be off during shooting / flying.

You definitely still want to shoot in 4K. Even if your final output will be 1080, you want to capture as much information as possible. As an added bonus (if your output is 1080), you can punch in during post production and have the ability to reframe your shots with zero quality loss. Very helpful for this type of work, since at times you might deal with factors that cause your composition to be off during shooting / flying.
Yeah yeah ok, but 25fps (30fps) is a bit short for a moving camera. panning becomes choppy if it's too fast, as well as big objets entering the frame. the best of both worlds is 2.7K at 50fps, Unfortunately this camera can't do it, unlike the gopro4

This is a good video and he does a good job explaining the settings.

I don't have my phantom and app right in front of me so its hard to explain. Hope this helps. I know its for the inspire but the camera is the same as far as I know.

What I'm talking about is the manual slider shown on the picture of the ISo/shutter settings. This is not on my P3P menu.

What I'm talking about is the manual slider shown on the picture of the ISo/shutter settings. This is not on my P3P menu.
It should pop out from the left when you tap the icon with sliders.
To close it without reverting to auto slide it back to the left.
Your top right dial on controller now adjusts shutter or (press it) ISO.
The 'live' adjustment shows blue on the app.
If you just can't see it try uninstalling the app and download fresh.

Due to the nature of using a remote constantly moving camera, you need to watch the exposure all the time in manual or things will be too dark or overexposed as you move.
It's often best to leave it in auto.
In auto you just set a constant exposure level, I'd usually have it on -0.3.
Bear in mind say it's near sunset the camera will try to make it daytime bright but you might want it darker so in that situation maybe set it at -1.0

If using manual try to keep the ISO low, this will give the least noisy image and also slowest possible shutter speed.
Slower shutter generally gives you smoother video.

I see a lot of stuff about keeping the shutter at 1/50 or multiplications of the frame rate - almost all huey and practically impossible unless you are just hovering in front of a set piece scene and have a range of filters to hand. That advice is good if you are filming a movie with a DSLR on a tripod and have people running about to set things up for you.
Modern video cameras like the P3 will produce good results just left to do their own thing with the shutter.
There are subtle differences in the effect you'll get of course.

Due to the nature of using a remote constantly moving camera, you need to watch the exposure all the time in manual or things will be too dark or overexposed as you move.
Bear in mind say it's near sunset the camera will try to make it daytime bright but you might want it darker so in that situation maybe set it at -1.0

If using manual try to keep the ISO low, this will give the least noisy image and also slowest possible shutter speed.

I see a lot of stuff about keeping the shutter at 1/50 or multiplications of the frame rate - almost all huey and practically impossible unless you are just hovering in front of a set piece scene and have a range of filters to hand. That advice is good if you are filming a movie with a DSLR on a tripod and have people running about to set things up for you.
Modern video cameras like the P3 will produce good results just left to do their own thing with the shutter.
Thanks. This is what I was looking for

1080p @ 60fps is going to look nicer than 4k @30fps
4k is only 4k if there is virtually no movement imo
Agree.

Thanks. This is what I was looking for

Seen it on the Inspire app, not on the P3 app...

Not from my perspective and I also have a 4k sony ax100
It is the 30fps issue which for scenes with any motion is just not as smooth to view as video acquired at 60fps and 4 k is only 4k if it is perfect. having every other pixel even just slightly out of focus will set you back to hd 30fps
so while 4k is wonderous it won't look any better than 1080p 60fps from your drone imo

Not only that but you want the 10 bit color depth 4k offers over 1080p standard. I watched Gone Girl streaming at the beginning of the year which was shot in 6K and scaled to 5K and you could see it even on HD stream how rich the color palette was over 1080p encode.

Not only that but you want the 10 bit color depth 4k offers over 1080p standard. I watched Gone Girl streaming at the beginning of the year which was shot in 6K and scaled to 5K and you could see it even on HD stream how rich the color palette was over 1080p encode.
What are you talking about? are you comparing an Epic or an Alexa with the P3Cam? 10bit? really?, When?
So you saw something shot in 6k reduced to 5 streamed in 1080 on youtube or vimeo on your mobile phone?
And it was nice?

Really smooth, Inspire or P3?

What are you talking about? are you comparing an Epic or an Alexa with the P3Cam? 10bit? really?, When?
So you saw something shot in 6k reduced to 5 streamed in 1080 on youtube or vimeo on your mobile phone?
And it was nice?
No on a 50" 4k TV. Was 1080p stream from target ticket (now defunct) richness came right out of color density could tell and then found a clip on YouTube that provided all the bsckground

P3 aims at no movement, flying tripod, IMO. :)
Totally agree having flown two days now blows away gopro in motion because of h3-3d minor issues. Also never thought live had feed was important for framing but it pays off as well as a better sense of security that you can really see your flight with no lag

Personally, I think using 24 fps is too slow for much movement. Also, I knock the EV down a couple notches to underexpose everything I shoot. You have more latitude to work with in post.

Z
I am new at video, but a long time digital photographer. It seems counter intuitive to reduce the shutter speed (especially with filters) on a moving scene? In a still, the lowest ISO is preferred -- obviously. But, a low ISO and a high shutter speed is desirable with moving subjects (unless you are looking for motion effects). So, why is it advantageous to have a shutter speed of 50'ish -- relative to frame rates?

Wondering if it's more how our eyes and brain process the video. We all love the look of 24fps, logically I would think 60fps would look smoother but it doesn't. I have same question on shutter speed though. But perhaps with so many fps havi ng perfectly still frames is unnecessary or even undesirable?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj