Aggitated Neighbor

I wonder why people insist on flying over populated areas. Take it and go fly it where it doesn't bother anyone. Don't you know yet that people are irritated about drones? All I read is this is my right I do what I want !!! 8 years old mentality! Maybe they're right to be pissed off with such behaviour.

Guys, I have had my P3P for about 2 months now. I have never taken pics or video of any ones house in my area. When I do fly around my house I am around 100ft in attitude. The below message is a text that my MOTHER received from a neighbor this evening, keep in mind I'm a 36 year old guy who has his own house, wife and 2 kids. My parents are my neighbors directly across the street. Let me know what y'all think about this text my mother received this evening:

Hey Suzie. I'm not sure but I thought your sweet son has a drone. I just wanted to let you know my neighbor and my husband have been getting agitated because one has been flying around. I don't know that it's his, I just wanted to give you heads up.
A nosy blabbermouth too cowardly to contact you.

I wonder why people insist on flying over populated areas. Take it and go fly it where it doesn't bother anyone. Don't you know yet that people are irritated about drones? All I read is this is my right I do what I want !!! 8 years old mentality! Maybe they're right to be pissed off with such behaviour.
Agreed! Plus, flying in heavily populated areas is against the law in many places now. If pilots are pissing people off left and right and not obeying the rules, it just perpetuates the negative perception around drones and makes things worse for everyone who IS following the rules.

Guys, I have had my P3P for about 2 months now. I have never taken pics or video of any ones house in my area. When I do fly around my house I am around 100ft in attitude. The below message is a text that my MOTHER received from a neighbor this evening, keep in mind I'm a 36 year old guy who has his own house, wife and 2 kids. My parents are my neighbors directly across the street. Let me know what y'all think about this text my mother received this evening:

Hey Suzie. I'm not sure but I thought your sweet son has a drone. I just wanted to let you know my neighbor and my husband have been getting agitated because one has been flying around. I don't know that it's his, I just wanted to give you heads up.
I would knock on this woman's door, apologize in advance and ask her exactly what it is about the subject of her complaint she finds agitating.

What might it be? Are you flying so close overhead that buzzing could be an annoying presence -- because it actually could be if you live in a very quiet neighborhood. It that is the problem you can solve it by flying higher and avoiding her vicinity. But if that's not the problem I can't imagine what else it would be, unless she is simply paranoid and believes drones are capable of some exotic form of surveillance -- a notion you can easily educate her about.

My weed whacker and lawn blower are way louder then my drone. When im out cleaning stuff up, I can see all the little kids
running in the culdasac playing, having fun not thinking a thing of it. No one complains. But you put something in the air much quieter and people have something to complain about. No one will make everyone happy with whatever they do. Just try to appease peoples fears or attitudes with a friendky smile and acknodlege your weed whacker somehow went airborn,

One thing I know for sure Phantom is noisy, 400 ft will do the trick. Also do not fly over neighbors.

I find that constant buzzing very annoying! and I'm flying the dam thing; I can easily see how it would annoy other people. Over here in Britain you're not allowed to fly near other peoples property (that's property that is not under your control) and quite right too, I see people banging on about their rights, other people have a right to a nice quiet life too, why do you think your rights should over ride everyone else's? It's not the volume of it that annoys people; it's the constant high pitch whine of it, it's like having a bee flying 2 inches off your ear all the time.

Confront them if you know them, hand them a dvd that shows what you do as far as pictures or videos. That's always the best way, just be friendly and nip it in the bud over a beer with the guys. That txt was just a womans way to gossip as a few of them do... Fortunately most don't but when you talk to the guys, it will probably be the first time that they've heard of it... You know :)
Go talk to the neighbors, even demo the quad for them. If they refuse to listen or watch a demo, tell them what the state law is in regards to recreational drone flights. As a last resort, keep in your back pocket the following:
18 USC .32 "Destruction of Aircraft or Aircraft Facilities"

It's a Federal crime to damage or destroy any civil aircraft employed for commerce shall be fined and / or imprisioned, in a Federal penal institution, for 20 years.

18 U.S. Code § 32 - Destruction of aircraft or aircraft facilities

83 Feet . That's the key. Fly at this altitude or higher. People's property ENDS at this altitude! Period!

I don't tolerate idiots that are emotionally driven very well (admittedly). I often stand my ground on issues that people misconstrue as a danger to their life , limb, and property.

I have been confronted and since then have adopted a practice of carrying a very visible pepper spray canister and will fly the drone to location that orbits the hostile person and say - " Are you threatening me" multiple times and "you are now being filmed".

I've got a few other tricks in my bag as well.

If a person wants to go out of their way and confront me. I shall go out of my way to impress upon them what a poor decision that was.

I fly in open sparsely populated areas for the most part to reduce the drama.

83 Feet . That's the key. Fly at this altitude or higher. People's property ENDS at this altitude! Period!

I don't tolerate idiots that are emotionally driven very well (admittedly). I often stand my ground on issues that people misconstrue as a danger to their life , limb, and property.

I have been confronted and since then have adopted a practice of carrying a very visible pepper spray canister and will fly the drone to location that orbits the hostile person and say - " Are you threatening me" multiple times and "you are now being filmed".

I've got a few other tricks in my bag as well.

If a person wants to go out of their way and confront me. I shall go out of my way to impress upon them what a poor decision that was.

I fly in open sparsely populated areas for the most part to reduce the drama.
Just what I said! instead of going flying elsewhere, make sure that you piss off people and wait for them with your pepper spray and what else in your bag? A gun maybe?
Do you think that can replace a brain? How old is this moron? 12?

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Just what I said! instead of going flying elsewhere, make sure that you piss off people and wait for them with your pepper spray and what else in your bag? A gun maybe?
Do you think that can replace a brain? How old is this moron? 12?

Please don't poke the bear! 12 year olds don't use words like misconstrue unless competing in spelling bees. Chronological age has no direct relation to mental aptitude.

I know i dont like drones flying over my place, i cant expect others to like it and understand if they dont. I have flown at home twice, spoke to the immediate neighbours (who may have had concerns) in advance. Best to drive a short distance and find some scenary worth shooting. Talk to them by all means and seek comfort, if you cant bring them around dont fly. Simple.
My neighbours came out to ask about my drone and I ended up taking a group pic of them with my wife and I.
The guys wife has threatened to "get the girls out" if she sees it flying over.

Most people I know say if they see a drone fly over they'll shoot it out of the air. WHY , I come to the conclusion there jealous because they don't have one.

Reactions: Sideswipe
I know I can legally fly over homes in my area as long as I maintain visual sight and, since I LIVE HERE, if I do fly over someone's property I do make it a point to fly high enough that it is only perceptible to someone who notices me with a controller in my hands, looking up...I do not hover over other's property, and I will not fly over open areas if there are groups of people out-I want to pay attention to what I am doing and do not want the distraction of other people while I am flying, I just move on to another location.

There is a large school complex near me with elementary, junior and senior high school campuses all together with numerous baseball fields, an enclosed stadium, basketball courts, parking lots and a great deal of open space, a two minute walk from my home. I almost always go later in the evening, an hour or two before sundown, and only on the weekend since school is still in session. There have been people there, playing ball on a diamond or shooting hoops, I do not fly near them at all. I have flown over my neighborhood, always keeping the bird within my visual sight and over 250-300 feet, and have nearly 100 total flights since I got this at Christmas 2015.

I usually fly both batteries so I'm actually flying for at least 40 minutes each time. I have had a few brief conversations with on lookers, and they are always curious and interested in what a phantom can do, so these brief interactions have been pleasant. I'm good enough with this thing now that I can pull it out of the case and have it up in the air in a couple of minutes so if and when I can use this to photograph a wedding party in the park or do some real estate shots for a client, or even do some shots for a buddy who does lots of stucco work high up on scaffolds, I'll be able to do that.

In the mean time I will not be a nuisance.

Last edited:
I don't understand why people think that if we're following the rules we should have to move along and find someplace else to fly?

I'm sorry but if where I'm flying follows the guidelines I'm not moving cause your not happy I'm there.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I don't understand why people think that if we're following the rules we should have to move along and find someplace else to fly?

I'm sorry but if where I'm flying follows the guidelines I'm not moving cause your not happy I'm there.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I did not say I HAD to move along, I just avoid areas that have crowds of people I do not know-big difference. And I'm sorry but if I were to insist that I had the right to fly around a group of people who expressed issues with my being there, flying my Phantom, I'd just pack it up and take it somewhere else where I would not have to deal with flying responsibly AND contend with the distraction of a person or persons getting in my face while flying. That, I think, is being responsible. I note that when you first got into this you contacted the local police to find out where you could fly-could having your P3 a few months emboldened you to the point that now you don't care about when, where and around who you fly your aircraft? Interesting.

Reactions: sergekouper
There is no need to contact the local police about drone flying in any areas. There is an APP (actually more than one) that clearly points out if it is legal to fly in the area. Its called B4UFLY and it is provided by the FAA themselves for this very purpose.

In general police are not up to date or schooled in the legal aspects of what is legal and illegal when flying ones UAV. That's not their job. Its to protect and serve. Says so right on the vehicles.

With that in mind if there is a serious issue that results from improper drone flight they will respond.

If we keep moving at the slightest objection to flying in sae zones well soon stories of how great our recent indoor flight was will become the norm. It always starts the same way. They take away a little bit of freedom and then when that is met with little resistance they take away more and then more.

History is full of examples.

Taxation is a good one. Taxes started as a temporary measure to pay for war rebuilding and reparations. Once the government realized it could make money just by making it a law well the rest is history.

@Sideswipe - Don't be sorry! The world is full of sheeple , don't be one. We can coexist with those that are uneducated, paranoid, delusional, and jealous.

Also , lets be forward thinkers. Its not a matter of IF the FAA will institute more stringent guidelines and laws. Its WHEN. With that in mind we are in the infancy of what laws will apply in the future so I for one will be exercising my right to safe and lawful flight until it becomes outlawed.

I also rode without a helmet on my SuperBike for many many years before they passed the helmet law in California. I saw it coming just what will happen with drones.

If something is enjoyable they will find a way to extract money for participating or pass laws against it.

armit.JPG
I would knock on this woman's door, apologize in advance and ask her exactly what it is about the subject of her complaint she finds agitating.

What might it be? Are you flying so close overhead that buzzing could be an annoying presence -- because it actually could be if you live in a very quiet neighborhood. It that is the problem you can solve it by flying higher and avoiding her vicinity. But if that's not the problem I can't imagine what else it would be, unless she is simply paranoid and believes drones are capable of some exotic form of surveillance -- a notion you can easily educate her about.

These people are SUPER PARANOID, as this weekend I learned that they have their house "blurred out" on the Google Map Street View. I have since avoided their property altogether as I am not trying to make enemies, just enjoy flying my P3 in the evening times without having to pack it up and drive to a local park or open county.
Thanks again for everyone's input. The Drone Community I have found here has been very helpful and informative!

Posted is a screenshot of the neighbors house on Google Maps, "blurred out"................LOL

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic