Aggitated Neighbor

I thought this had already been tested in court and the ruling was that you're allowed to fly over and even film while flying over someone else's property but only on your way somewhere else: can't hover around or specifically film someone's property. The case I remember was the one where someone was flying out and along the way he noticed his neighbor farmer dumping toxic chemicals in the river. It was deemed admissable because he didn't go there specifically to catch him.

In any case, I side with CCDD: just be respectful of other's wishes since it's usually easy to avoid the situation. Take a longer path and fly around. Fly higher. Etc. I just know you have to live near your neighbors so if any of mine complained, I'd do whatever I could to avoid any disturbance. If someone is "scared" of them, so be it. They're not me, and gotta walk in their shoes sometimes.

Mike

Reactions: yorlik
The best analogy I have read so far is to go back to when cameras were first available on cell phones. Only perverts would have a camera on their phone after the press made big stories out of the first incidents, and lots of places began banning them because someone could misuse it a restroom or fitting room.
Fast forward to the selfie age, I haven't been asked to check my phone at the door recently...

As much enjoyment as we all have with our Phantoms, I admit they can be a nuisance to some in regards to noise. Although flying at 100ft is likely high enough to avoid obstacles in many residential areas, it certainly is too low in regards to an acceptable noise level. I would increase to a minimum of 200 ft and try to avoid a direct flyover of anyone's home that has or might complain. Finding a more open and less congested area to fly during warmer seasons when people are spending more time outside their homes is recommended as well.

now if you are hovering over someones house at that height its another story, if you're hovering over your property and someone complains about noise first instinct is to say too bad so sad, but in reality i bite my tongue and try to be a good ambassador to the hobby and de-escalate the situation.i really want to tell them to take a long walk off a short pier, but i don't! i don't think a phantom at 100 feet is any louder than a weed wacker, in my own personal experience "noise" is just an excuse when folks don't want to admit they are paranoid.

Reactions: NRJ
and just to clarify the response has been overwhelmingly positive, I've had one complaint to probably 100 "woah thats awesome" over the last 2 to 3 years flying.

and just to clarify the response has been overwhelmingly positive, I've had one complaint to probably 100 "woah thats awesome" over the last 2 to 3 years flying.

You have a point there. There really haven't been that many reports of complaints very much here on the forum. I haven't had any complaints. Only had people who are interested, some who wanted to see the screen and the like. But, when we hear of a real nut job, we get defensive because it is an attack on our beloved hobby. So, we should take it with a grain of salt, calm any situation with the many great ideas on this forum and continue flying and having fun while hopefully enlightening our neighbors.

Thanks for all the input guys, I appreciate it all. I have never just hovered over someone's house who hasn't asked me to. Back in March we had a terrible flood from the Toledo Bend Dam in East Texas. Lots of people were asking for pics and video footage of the flood damage. That is the only time I've ever taken pics of video of someone's property. This complaint was just about me flying over his house with no pause, on my way to take footage of scenery that is uninhabited. I fly around in the evening hours maybe once or twice a week just cause I enjoy the thrill of flying. I would never use my P3P to snoop on anyone. Since his complaint, I have not flown near his housr, just been taking an alternate route to my destination. Also in the future, if I do fly over his house I will be closer to 200 or 300 feet and again will be non-stop around his property. I personally have never met the people complaining and Definetly aren't trying to make enemies in the neighborhood. I always will respect people's wishes as best as possible, not just in flying my drone but in life in general.
Happy Flying!

Reactions: Reed L
My neighbors behind me own dogs that bark on occasion, neighbor to the south has a noisy riding mower and works on a 1000 hp dragster in his garage, diagonal the skid steer is digging for an addition, other diagonal they're building a house, north neighbor has a push mower. And we all have gasoline snow blowers in the winter. Garbage and recycling trucks and school buses go up and down the street daily. No way if flown during reasonable daylight hours, a Phantom is too noisy in my neighborhood.

Mother should have texted back, "come over for coffee and we'll have junior show you his flying machine". Gotta break the ice showing the Phantom from a different perspective than portrayed in the media.

The OP did not post what state he is in, so the correct answer is "It depends."

The US government has satellites that can identify individuals from orbit, and military drones that have been used in the US. Your license plate is photographed every time you go through a toll booth and your EZPass can identify your vehicle elsewhere. Plate scanners automatically collect your information and store it in a database for an indeterminate time period. Your cell phone likely has GPS and broadcasts your location to cell towers almost constantly.

.....But some people worry about small civilian drones, flown by neighbors, violating their privacy.

Guys, I have had my P3P for about 2 months now. I have never taken pics or video of any ones house in my area. When I do fly around my house I am around 100ft in attitude. The below message is a text that my MOTHER received from a neighbor this evening, keep in mind I'm a 36 year old guy who has his own house, wife and 2 kids. My parents are my neighbors directly across the street. Let me know what y'all think about this text my mother received this evening:

Hey Suzie. I'm not sure but I thought your sweet son has a drone. I just wanted to let you know my neighbor and my husband have been getting agitated because one has been flying around. I don't know that it's his, I just wanted to give you heads up.

I would speak to the offended neighbor kindly and discuss their concerns. It might be a privacy issue or safety issue with them. Maybe just fly a different direction and don't fly over their house. Probably wouldn't hurt to fly higher over residential neighborhoods. One scenic area I fly in takes me over several houses and I usually climb to 250 ft. over them. I doubt they even know I'm up there.

Guys, I have had my P3P for about 2 months now. I have never taken pics or video of any ones house in my area. When I do fly around my house I am around 100ft in attitude. The below message is a text that my MOTHER received from a neighbor this evening, keep in mind I'm a 36 year old guy who has his own house, wife and 2 kids. My parents are my neighbors directly across the street. Let me know what y'all think about this text my mother received this evening:

Hey Suzie. I'm not sure but I thought your sweet son has a drone. I just wanted to let you know my neighbor and my husband have been getting agitated because one has been flying around. I don't know that it's his, I just wanted to give you heads up.
I used to fly in my back yard but not anymore. I have 3 parks within 5 minutes and just easier and less drama. I would get people walking by saying oh your the drone guy that flys in the neighborhood. No complaints but got the feeling they weren't happy. Even at the park people come up and ask me questions, which I don't mind answering. I'm very polite and usually ask them if they have any questions about the drone. 99% of the time they enjoy watching me fly and have lots of questions. I quess I would not like a drone flying over or around my house either.

I try to be polite, although sometimes, when it is an immense 50+ woman who warns me of shooting it down if it is near her window, it is tough. And oddly, it is older immense people who complain. When I am flying in the country...

That said...

I show them the controller, view, point out that there is no zoom lens, how safe the drone is to fly, etc.

When the police or park rangers get agitated, then I will bring the drone back, but explain FAA rules, show them my app with no fly zones, etc.

As others have mentioned, be polite until hysteria dies down.

One trick... If you launch from a not to visible location, then have it fly away, it takes people a while to figure out who is controlling it. Many times I am already on low battery and coming back when a ranger pulls up.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I had the same problem my one neighbor call the police on me what i did was stop flying in the area then i call the FAA and was told that after 83 ft it was open space

Confront them if you know them, hand them a dvd that shows what you do as far as pictures or videos. That's always the best way, just be friendly and nip it in the bud over a beer with the guys. That txt was just a womans way to gossip as a few of them do... Fortunately most don't but when you talk to the guys, it will probably be the first time that they've heard of it... You know :)
The last thing is confrontation with neighbor. When I test my quads, I don't fly over neighbor houses. I take my quads to open area, ie retention ponds or community center parking area. When neigbor ask me questions, I give them frank answers. If they ask if I spy on them, I show them the video/picture. If kids want to try it, I have a spare quad for them too. I have been doing quad test in my house for 3 years, so far, I still in good standing with the HOA.

In a conversation with my co-workers (I work at a high school) about 1/3 of them are hostile to any drone activity anywhere close to their property no matter the altitude. One guy is trying to find a way too "Jam" and crash them. Reaction to Drone flights are very strange to me. Other than "spying" (low level intrusion) I dont get it.

Reactions: Patrick
When I go out to fly the P4, I always check for people, groups and activities that are in the immediate area. Typically in parks, there is always someone around and I simply avoid their area and space. Around my house area, I try to stay at high altitudes, although despite this, I have had a person down the street chase my P4 home and confront me.

We are all concerned with the physical safety of anyone near our flight area. However, due to the negative media coverage, and the paranoia it has instilled in the general public, I think there is a genuine concern about the psychological safety of certain individuals. Although rare, some people do get genuinely upset, and psychologically disturbed when a quad is flying in the immediate area.

As with physical safety, I think we should also be concerned with the psychological condition of people as well. When I was confronted in my yard, I told my neighbor that there was no zoom lens, and she did seem to go away happy, but, trust me, I will not fly near her location again. She has a problem I cannot fix, nor ague with. The media has caused the psychological mind set that drone pilots are irresponsible perverts. Just as a few years ago if you carried around a full size camera with a decent lens, you were without trial and jury, a pedophile or terrorist.

Until the a more positive altitude and publicity is released by the media, I am simply going to avoid flying where these people make them selves known. Besides, there are lots of places to fly my P4 in peace. I don't have the time to recondition peoples negative thoughts and responses. Confrontation for me is not a solution, but a good reason to find better places to fly .

I had the same problem my one neighbor call the police on me what i did was stop flying in the area then i call the FAA and was told that after 83 ft it was open space
Open space and agitate your neighbor are two different issues. Just you can fly does not give your the right to agitate other. After all, when your neighbors are agitated, your home life will not be peaceful. I don't go by the rule that just because I can that I should. I value my home life and my neighbor peace of mind more than I can fly over certain airspace.No matter where you live, there are open space for safe flying

Confront them if you know them, hand them a dvd that shows what you do as far as pictures or videos. That's always the best way, just be friendly and nip it in the bud over a beer with the guys. That txt was just a womans way to gossip as a few of them do... Fortunately most don't but when you talk to the guys, it will probably be the first time that they've heard of it... You know :)
Totally agree.

Unfortunately there are too many "idiots" who have their hands on drones. Hence your problem. Between my property and my neighbor's property I luckily had over six acres to learn on.

I always follow FAA rules, I try to fly early or late in the day away from people and animals.

Too bad that those "few bad apples" are ruining public opinion for those of us who want to take some great high-altitude landscape images.

If you read many of the threads, it almost sounds like some people think it makes them "manly" to break the rules.

It takes more takes more than moving one's thumbs. I have been over 100 ft suba diving on too many occasions to count, finished The Assault on Mt. Mitchell and did a summit attempt on the Grand Teton- I am still a a techo - geek. But to quote Martin Mull. "in the eyes of my dog I am a man!".

I agree with previous comments - go talk to the neighbor. Hopefully that will settle things, if not, fly away from home.

Noise and littering are the two most obscure charges they could file.

So sorry you have the problem!

leaningpalmstudio.com

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl