Aggitated Neighbor

Reaction score
Guys, I have had my P3P for about 2 months now. I have never taken pics or video of any ones house in my area. When I do fly around my house I am around 100ft in attitude. The below message is a text that my MOTHER received from a neighbor this evening, keep in mind I'm a 36 year old guy who has his own house, wife and 2 kids. My parents are my neighbors directly across the street. Let me know what y'all think about this text my mother received this evening:

Hey Suzie. I'm not sure but I thought your sweet son has a drone. I just wanted to let you know my neighbor and my husband have been getting agitated because one has been flying around. I don't know that it's his, I just wanted to give you heads up.

Reactions: Squirrel!
Confront them if you know them, hand them a dvd that shows what you do as far as pictures or videos. That's always the best way, just be friendly and nip it in the bud over a beer with the guys. That txt was just a womans way to gossip as a few of them do... Fortunately most don't but when you talk to the guys, it will probably be the first time that they've heard of it... You know :)

Be polite and ask what's the best time when you can fly and if the problem is with noise you will fly at much higher altitudes. But be ready not to fly in the neighborhood if they still have objection. Homes are for peaceful living, let every one enjoy.

I know i dont like drones flying over my place, i cant expect others to like it and understand if they dont. I have flown at home twice, spoke to the immediate neighbours (who may have had concerns) in advance. Best to drive a short distance and find some scenary worth shooting. Talk to them by all means and seek comfort, if you cant bring them around dont fly. Simple.

Guys, I have had my P3P for about 2 months now. I have never taken pics or video of any ones house in my area. When I do fly around my house I am around 100ft in attitude. The below message is a text that my MOTHER received from a neighbor this evening, keep in mind I'm a 36 year old guy who has his own house, wife and 2 kids. My parents are my neighbors directly across the street. Let me know what y'all think about this text my mother received this evening:

Hey Suzie. I'm not sure but I thought your sweet son has a drone. I just wanted to let you know my neighbor and my husband have been getting agitated because one has been flying around. I don't know that it's his, I just wanted to give you heads up.

I like what Reed L said in post #4. Also, I found this article from B&H today take a read. Pretty interesting and says a lot about privacy rights and such.

Drones and the Law: The Sky's Not the Limit

I know i dont like drones flying over my place, i cant expect others to like it and understand if they dont. I have flown at home twice, spoke to the immediate neighbours (who may have had concerns) in advance. Best to drive a short distance and find some scenary worth shooting. Talk to them by all means and seek comfort, if you cant bring them around dont fly. Simple.

I find it hard to give up my freedoms because someone else thinks their freedoms can stomp on mine. I think the best way is to work with them as you say and if they still won't come around, then let them know you will not stop exercising your right to fly but will try to avoid their property. Unfortunately, you can't please everybody.

Reactions: von Richthofen
There's a lot of ignorance out there so until that wanes (and it will) we must be patient and accommodating.

There's a lot of ignorance out there so until that wanes (and it will) we must be patient and accommodating.

Yes there is a lot of ignorance out there. However, it has never waned, and it won't and never will. Look through your history, remember your own experiences past and present. We only lose what we give up. Freedom is not free. It costs a lot to keep it. That's why we fight wars, because those ignorant people never change. A few maybe. A good flight to you sir.

I find it hard to give up my freedoms because someone else thinks their freedoms can stomp on mine. I think the best way is to work with them as you say and if they still won't come around, then let them know you will not stop exercising your right to fly but will try to avoid their property. Unfortunately, you can't please everybody.
I can mow my lawn at 7am if i feel like it and there is no ordinance or rule to prevent it. My neighbour can sing karaoke (in korean) untill midnight when im trying to get a few hours sleep before an early morning flight and important meeting. Pissing people off when you dont have to because you can doesnt usually end well. Keeping rights is important, hear you loud and clear and agree 100%... not getting on with your neighbours to prove a point is almost always a bad idea.

I can mow my lawn at 7am if i feel like it and there is no ordinance or rule to prevent it. My neighbour can sing karaoke (in korean) untill midnight when im trying to get a few hours sleep before an early morning flight and important meeting. Pissing people off when you dont have to because you can doesnt usually end well. Keeping rights is important, hear you loud and clear and agree 100%... not getting on with your neighbours to prove a point is almost always a bad idea.

I didn't say I wouldn't get on with them, I just said I will not give up my rights, but I would try to avoid his property or area of concern and it is not to prove a point but to protect freedom. Re-read my post if you didn't understand. Freedom is not free. We all have to fight for it. Not wanting to argue with you but I will defend my freedom as we all should. Also, most cities have ordinances about noise hours such as 8:00 a.m. to 10 p.m.

I didn't say I wouldn't get on with them, I just said I will not give up my rights, but I would try to avoid his property or area of concern and it is not to prove a point but to protect freedom. Re-read my post if you didn't understand. Freedom is not free. We all have to fight for it. Not wanting to argue with you but I will defend my freedom as we all should. Also, most cities have ordinances about noise hours such as 8:00 a.m. to 10 p.m.
We arent arguing, I agree with you, 100% as I stated in my post with repect to preserving and protecting our freedoms we enjoy. One I suspect we share is this hobby. In my juristiction, and I suspect yours is simillar, amongst other guidlines we should not fly above populous areas. It is not further defined although some examples are provided. If we can avoid unnecessarily getting people offside, some of whom may well join the fight to lobby for restrictions to be imposed on us, we may be better off in the long run.

Happy flying.....

Reactions: Mick Emmett

If you can swing it, the best solution would be to give them a demonstration so they can see for themselves what the drone can and cannot do.
Show them what an amazing machine it is and how it's nort at all what they imagine.
Enlighten them with a bit of reality to replace the imagined fears.

As much enjoyment as we all have with our Phantoms, I admit they can be a nuisance to some in regards to noise. Although flying at 100ft is likely high enough to avoid obstacles in many residential areas, it certainly is too low in regards to an acceptable noise level. I would increase to a minimum of 200 ft and try to avoid a direct flyover of anyone's home that has or might complain. Finding a more open and less congested area to fly during warmer seasons when people are spending more time outside their homes is recommended as well.

Either ask them permission to fly over their property (especially at 100') or don't fly over it.

I never want to bother anybody while flying my drone and would always make my best effort to keep the peace. That said, if somebody doesn't like me peacefully flying my toy, minding my own business they can pound sand. There are all kinds of strange people on this planet and frankly if they are so worried about being on camera then it's time to buy a privacy shroud for their yard (stupid new product for idiots?) or make a better effort to keep their ugly face off my expensive camera.

Either way though. Youtube accommodates for crazy people ranting just the same as it does for beautifully filmed scenery. I only wish I could turn on sound on demand.

Of course, that is providing all amicable solutions have passed. Usually showing someone is a great ice breaker... If they persist at that point... Well... They asked for it lol.

Last edited:
If you can swing it, the best solution would be to give them a demonstration so they can see for themselves what the drone can and cannot do.
Show them what an amazing machine it is and how it's nort at all what they imagine.
Enlighten them with a bit of reality to replace the imagined fears.

This is what I was thinking. My objection to the text was that someone would text a 36 year old's "mommy"... but then I realized it could have just been someone who knew your mom and didn't know you (as well) and was asking. No one has complained around here (yet) but I'm sensitive to the possibility. I know I wouldn't like it if someone was flying one over or near my house every few days. I generally take mine up to about 200 feet over my own property and then fly it back over the woods to avoid other houses. When I need to fly near (almost always around and not over) other houses, I generally take "random" routes so it never looks like I'm picking on/buzzing one particular house. Hope that does the trick because I intend to fly mine more often soon.

One thing I have going for me is my next door neighbor to my east is one of my best friends. He was my spotter for my maiden flight and his kids have (toy) drones with cameras. So when I launch, I often split the lot-line between our houses, go up, and then out because I know he doesn't care. I even took a raw photo of his place, processed it, and took him a print a week or so ago. So the idea to make friends with neighbors who appreciate the hobby is a good one too. Make a few friends with a demo, and you'll develop a few "safe routes".

Mike

I like what Reed L said in post #4. Also, I found this article from B&H today take a read. Pretty interesting and says a lot about privacy rights and such.

Drones and the Law: The Sky's Not the Limit
That article you posted, (even though saying it was updated 3 weeks ago), still has a very & highly inaccurate paragraph. Whereas, it was stated that in the state of Colorado it is LEGAL to shoot down a drone if it is flying over private property. "Souvenir Licenses" were being sold for $25. In Deer Trail, CO. These "Souvenir Licenses" are NOT VALID to those who purchased them to actually shoot down a drone! People need to realize what they are actually purchasing!

These "Souvenir Licenses" are no different than my purchasing a "Certificate" stating that I had completed training & I am now a "Certified" Jedi Knight!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl