Again... Why fly with 1.08?

Reaction score
I've been a good soldier and have upgraded my flight control software when DJI releases a new version. At first, the slower descent speed was annoying but I got accustomed to it. Tonight, just for kicks I loaded up 1.08 and took it out for a spin. I knew exactly what to expect and still, I almost got myself into a VRS situation.
So as far as I know, the "advantages" are,
1. It's a little more responsive, but can't you adjust the gain to get the same thing in 3.04 (other than descent)?
2. No flight restrictions.
3. No throttled descent speed. To be honest, now that I'm used to it, I like it.

Is that it? I'm going back to 3.04 so I can use the map when I'm flying. I really like that feature - being able to watch the phantom move over the map. At night, I get my kicks by hovering over the 4-way stop sign near my house and watching the cars sit there while they try to figure out what those flashing lights are hanging above the intersection. :)

D_Tshudy said:
At night, I get my kicks by hovering over the 4-way stop sign near my house and watching the cars sit there while they try to figure out what those flashing lights are hanging above the intersection. :)

You just made my night... Laughed out loud as I read this! Could just see the drivers wondering what the ...

Reminds me of the mailboxes' scene in Close Encounters of the Third kind. lol

I like 1.08 mostly because of the speed. For some reason I can't get my firmware to version 2.0. Anyway I tried 3.04 yesterday and the were winds about 10mph. You can decent at about 4.5 mph but with the winds it was down to 2.5mph. For me that's no good. I was at 1024 feet and it took what seemed to be forever to come down. 3.04 is also slow. All out I was getting 17mph and couldn't keep up with boats on the lake. I went back to 1.08 and what a difference. 37mph I can now film boats and keep up with them easily. Decent speed is also great. If not in a hurry I keep it at 5mph coming down but I have seen I believe 10mph coming down. Just my reasons.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using my neighbors internet

I am a newbie and I see a lot of folks discussing the 1.08 vs the 3.04 and what I would like to know what is the difference between the two. I am very new to this and only have 3 flights but I want to be using the most stable version due to being so new. I am running 3.04 now. I apologize for asking the newbie questions but I am new and I want to understand as much as I can and who better to ask than the seasoned guys. Can someone shed some light on this for me? Thank you....

If your new stay with 3.04 thats my thoughts on that if you've been flying for awhile you'll know the differences quicker faster response times and all around better flying experience but more for the advanced flyer

ftimster said:
If your new stay with 3.04 thats my thoughts on that if you've been flying for awhile you'll know the differences quicker faster response times and all around better flying experience but more for the advanced flyer
I agree 100% if your new and never had anything other than 3.04 just stick with it. The biggest thing is 1.08 is allot faster but you can also get in trouble with the speed on decent. stick with 3.04 for a few weeks and get some flights under your belt. Then if you feel that you need more speed then think about going to 1.08.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using my neighbors internet

@D_T

Is VRS something.like vortex ring situaion ?

Just wondering but do you guys remember that P2 and P2V came with 1.08 from the factory just 3 months ago??? We didn't have 3.04 or even 2.0 back then. It was all good for me with my vision. So I am good with 1.08 on my plus.

Phantom_Menace66 said:
Let me get this straight.... Downgrading the firmware to 1:08 comes at the cost of FPV, yeah? So what was the point buying a vision plus in the first place?

Not so, downgrading do not change anything on the FPV side of things except for loosing way-points.

I'm just making sure I know every potential advantage to flying with 1.08. I haven't heard a good reason yet.

I'm calling BS on the "for more advanced" and "better all around experience" arguments. If I want speed, 40-50 MPH in Atti mode is just fine. If I want to bring it down fast, I'll also switch to Atti mode and fly it down the way it's intended to be flown. I'm not giving up app functionality for the "drop like a stone" feature or a little better response on the sticks.

Thanks for the inputs.

I've tried all the firmware and find 1.08 very stable and predictable. 2.0 gave me battery errors and 3.0 took forever to get gps lock. 3.04 made my phantom hard to hand catch as the bird would wander in a 4 foot circular pattern. To each their own! :lol:

Fplvert said:
3.04 made my phantom hard to hand catch as the bird would wander in a 4 foot circular pattern.

That's a typical toilet bowl compass issue which can likely be solved by a calibration. You're missing out on the map capability. Waypoints are novel but not very useful. Seeing the Phantom move over the map while flying is incredibly useful. But agreed, to each their own. I just enjoy a good debate.

D_Tshudy said:
I'm just making sure I know every potential advantage to flying with 1.08. I haven't heard a good reason yet.

I'm calling BS on the "for more advanced" and "better all around experience" arguments. If I want speed, 40-50 MPH in Atti mode is just fine. If I want to bring it down fast, I'll also switch to Atti mode and fly it down the way it's intended to be flown. I'm not giving up app functionality for the "drop like a stone" feature or a little better response on the sticks.

Thanks for the inputs.

Stick with 3.04. 1.08 does not give you more speed. It is not for the more advanced. It is not a better all-around experience. It flys it down in a way that the phantom is not intended to be flown. It drops like a stone. Looks like all it has going for it is a little better response on the sticks. I am glad you have straightened this all out for me.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic