Aftermarket battery?

Reaction score
Have any one of you guys tried using an aftermarket battery changing the battery plug on any p3?
A friend of mines wich usually had fly many differentes aircraft, put them together, fixing them... told me i can change it for an aftermarket.
Opinions? Ideas?

??????

I use both the DJI charger and 3rd party LiPo chargers for my DJI phantom battery's. The chargers are the Accucel 6 80W and the SkyRC B6mini set to LiHV and 5.0A, 4S.
The only difference in charging is the battery must be switched on for the 3rd party chargers.
But the 3rd party chargers tell me how many ma's gone into pack ... voltage during charge ... and a second safety factor that if anything goes wrong during charge - charger will shut down.

OK just in case your post is can you use 3rd party battery's ? Yes of course but they need to be in same format / construction as the DJI ... you cannot change 'plug / connector' ....

Nigel

I'm using PH3A batteries and happy with their performance. Also using aftermarket car multi battery charger for P3 batteries and remote, very useful if traveling between locations in one day. Purchase everything on eBay no quality issues.

yes you can:

My reply was based on the design of connection used by the Phantom between battery pack and the AC. Not about the plugs / connectors INSIDE the battery case.

Anyway - the design inside the case is not even consistent with standard LiPo plugs etc. The main power is hard wired and the balance plug is mini version ....

If you want to change LiPo in the case - first you would have to find a HV LiPo manufacturer who will sell the non-standard dimension LiPo to fit.
Last time I saw such square shape was with GEC LiPo's years ago. Most of todays are now too long to fit.

Nigel

You don't have to have the full case but just the top part and the circuit board as this man shows.

Is the P2 battery same as the P3 ? No.

The problem with the P3 battery - is the physical length.

If you compare the P3 4S 4480mAh pack with a normal model LiHV of same size / cells etc. - you find a difference in length etc. This means the normal LiHv is too long for the P3 battery slot.

Unless of course you can find the same squared version as used to be sold - but then they didn't have HV LiPo ... just the standard 4,2V ....

Myself and friend had a P3 battery apart to see about swapping cells etc. Yes of course it can be done - we even found out how to zero the counter .... but it was wasted effort as the battery cells used by DJI are shorter than available to us for replacement.

Nigel

Last edited:
Great ... but take a closer look at the Phantom and what is missing from it ...

Nigel

Get a vacuum forming machine and your all set.
That is a Phantom 1, completely different battery technology/connection (which is what Nigel was pointing out)

Your friend must be thinking about the old Phantoms, not the P3 series. There's no way to replace the built-in battery. With some work you can add a secondary battery (but the extra weight can cause problems) Battery Modification for DJI Phantom 3 FAQ

That is a Phantom 1, completely different battery technology/connection (which is what Nigel was pointing out)

Your friend must be thinking about the old Phantoms, not the P3 series. There's no way to replace the built-in battery. With some work you can add a secondary battery (but the extra weight can cause problems) Battery Modification for DJI Phantom 3 FAQ
I'm not that familiar with all the different models as i'm new to this hobby but there are lots of youtubes on battery modifications.I'm sure if someone looked they could find one for several different models but for now i'm happy with the stock or after market battery.

As I pointed out ... the physical dimensions of the battery used by DJI in the P3 case is not a common size.

DJI contrary to what many think - do not make up the battery pack themselves - its a contract job as is most.

Nigel

lets say doing the dual battery conversion, would and how much flying time you get.
It depends on the battery you add (its capacity and weight). Let's say you add a battery with exactly the same capacity (i.e. a HV LiPo) and weight as the original, you'd probably get 70% more flight time, not 100% more, since the additional weight and change in center of gravity will use some of the additional power. Let's say you add two batteries identical to the original... you'd probably would get another 30-40% more, for a total of around 100% more than just the original battery, due to the much higher extra weight forcing the motors/propellers to work in a very inefficient way for its design. i.e. a much smaller gain. Above a certain weight, you won't gain anything, and actually shorten flight time (if it takes off at all) and reducing dramatically the motor life

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie