Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Aftermarket battery - now available

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tawd77, Mar 31, 2014.

1. tawd77

2. gunslinger

gunslinger Moderator
    Staff Member

And the app says... "We're sorry, this is not a genuine DJI battery..." with the klaxon going full blast in the background as the P2V bricks... :eek: :eek: :shock: :shock:

-slinger

3. cavaleiro01

I see 2 problems here:

1) Price difference for the original DJI battery - Is it that high that is worth the risk? I don't really think so...
    2) Mailing batteries could really be a pain, as they may represent a safety issue

4. riblit

Looks good from images but but close to the original's price here.

5. Mori55

Wasn't something download about using genuine DJI battery's.

6. havasuphoto

Yea, the new firmware upgrade will make using that battery impossible. I've also read that the Naza in the P2 will only recognize the "chip" in a genuine P2 battery....

7. riblit

One of the images in the listing is the assistant page for version 2 of same showing the battery is recognised so it appears the "chip" output has been replicated. It's still too close to the original battery price for me to buy.

8. amkorp

The after market is 99 EUROS. That's way too close to the original battery price for it not to be worth it.

If it was $75 bucks I would give it a shot, but over $100 you might as well pay the extra and get genuine.

9. tawd77

Yeah, looked good besides the price is steep. If it was maybe $80, Id buy one just to give it a shot

10. Mori55

How do know the pic was taken? Could of been before the latest update. Not worth taking a chance IMHO.

11. Migmon

I have had a dji battery fail mid flight.. They replaced the phantom.. Would they do that with that battery? Prolly not... When you buy cheap you buy twice, and in this case it would prolly be the replacement phantom you are buying

12. Pull_Up

That's a good point. I'm assuming there is some form of diagnostic log in the NAZA / firmware that would be able to show if the battery serial number was a genuine one or not, in which case no warranty repairs if you send it in...

13. Meluk

I think DJI have covered them selves pretty well with their smart battery, a good money making design but a shame for us the customers!

Lets just hope they reduce the price of their genuine battery a bit. They are starting to get a lot of competition now, Walkera offering the same capacity of battery but in their version for about £50 I think?

14. havasuphoto

Kinda reminds me of Ink Jet printers. Remember when the price of the printers dropped to less than the replacement cartridges?
    You should see my stack of "old" ink jet printers!! It's cheaper for me to buy a brand new one($39), than to spend maybe $5 less than that, for a set of cartridges.

Now that DJI has us "locked" into their Smart Batteries; now about being "smart", and lowering the price, when you buy 2 or more?
    right now, 1, 2, 10-they're all $159 each, no discount!!

15. Scottrod

Yeah and that'd just crazy! I can't believed they don't offer a bulk discount.

16. Meluk

I emailed dji just on a whim to see what their reply would be to asking if they may be reducing the cost of their smart batteries in the future.

They replied with "there is no plan, or possibility the price will be reduced"

Great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. havasuphoto

That is Today's answer. I believe the price will change-and become lower. It's about supply and demand. The battery really don't wear out that fast. So, eventually, DJI is going to be sitting there with a warehouse piled high with Smart Batteries......then you will see the price go down.

18. Firestat

And I just ordered a battery from B&H yesterday. But the price difference is enough to get anything but a DJI, right now.

19. F6Rider

They have added a photo using Ver 2.0 firmware. But as was stated prior, at $137 its to much to take a chance when I can get an OEM DJI battery for a few bucks more.

20. jadebox

That eBay listing will probably get pulled. Offering to avoid customs by marking the package as a "gift" is against eBay's policies.

But, it looks like there are several other listings for the battery. Some are a little less expensive. Not cheap enough, however, for me to take a chance.

But, I have to admit that "can fly 2 minuts more than the original DJI battery about 25 miniters,withou load about 28 miniters" makes it sound really appealing! :)

-- Roger