After powering up, calibrate compass or wait for GPS/HL?

Reaction score
Noob question, but after powering up the Phantom, do you guys let it sit until it gets GPS lock and then wait another 30 sec to make sure it gets Home Lock, then calibrate the compass? Or do you grab it as soon as you turn it on, calibrate the compass first, THEN let it sit to make sure it gets GPS and HL?

Thanks!

What I do is turn on the transmitter, then the Phantom. I immediately flip S1 several times until the lights go solid yellow indicating she is in compass calibration mode. I perform the calibration, then power off the Phantom, followed by the controller. Now I do the normal power up routine (Controller, Extender, Phone App, Phantom).

Dirty Bird said:
What I do is turn on the transmitter, then the Phantom. I immediately flip S1 several times until the lights go solid yellow indicating she is in compass calibration mode. I perform the calibration, then power off the Phantom, followed by the controller. Not I do the normal power up routine (Controller, Extender, Phone App, Phantom).

Interesting! Why do you shut off the Phantom after calibrating the compass??

Dirty Bird said:
What I do is turn on the transmitter, then the Phantom. I immediately flip S1 several times until the lights go solid yellow indicating she is in compass calibration mode. I perform the calibration, then power off the Phantom, followed by the controller. Now I do the normal power up routine (Controller, Extender, Phone App, Phantom).

What is the advantage of turning it off after compass calibration?

Phantom_Menace66 said:
Dirty Bird said:

I think he answered that in the post directly above yours.

RedRyderMedia said:
Phantom_Menace66 said:
Dirty Bird said:

I think he answered that in the post directly above yours.

Also I am sure I have read somewhere that you are not supposed to move the phantom while the IMU is warming up and getting its base settings sorted. so I would put it on the ground then turn it on and wait for sat before doing the compass setting if needed.
I have a feeling that twiddling the phantom about just after turning it on is the reason for some of the flyaways but nobody else has had the same idea yet :?:

Makes sence, Dirty Bird..
I'm in NAZA Mode and after 30 sec or so you get the 1st set of rapid green flashes (course lock?) then after it gets the required number of sats you get the 2nd set of rapid green flashes (home lock?). So getting the compus calibration and then restart would Def be best. I am no expert for sure, just want my baby to come home.

ChuckMRN said:
I'm in NAZA Mode and after 30 sec or so you get the 1st set of rapid green flashes (course lock?) then after it gets the required number of sats you get the 2nd set of rapid green flashes (home lock?). So getting the compus calibration and then restart would Def be best. I am no expert for sure, just want my baby to come home.

I think the first set of rapid green flashes may be when the Phantom binds to the Wi-Fi extender, because as soon as that first flash occurs my phone connects also and I can access the cam. The actual Home position is set when you start the motors.

Dirty Bird said:
ChuckMRN said:

I think the first set of rapid green flashes may be when the Phantom binds to the Wi-Fi extender, because as soon as that first flash occurs my phone connects also and I can access the cam. The actual Home position is set when you start the motors.

Thanks for the clarification. I sure get some crazy looks when I sit on my stool watching it while it goes thru it's deal

Dirty Bird said:
ChuckMRN said:

Nope that first set is when it establishes course direction. The second set is when it is ready to store the home position. It is unclear to me if it stores the home position on motor start or actual takeoff. I would guess takeoff cause that's what dji says. The NAZA LEDs have nothing to do with the extender or camera or app.

Edit: now that I read it back again, I may have misinterpreted what you said Dirty. Sorry if that is the case.

Dirty Bird said:

Is there a need to power off the transmitter after doing the compass calibration? I don't think anything is stored on the transmitter for the compass cal. and it is the first thing to turn on using your method. I understand the order for powering up but it would save one step by leaving the transmitter on after doing compass calibration, just power off Phantom and power it back on and not move Phantom after it is powered back on.

AHill said:
Is there a need to power off the transmitter after doing the compass calibration? I don't think anything is stored on the transmitter for the compass cal. and it is the first thing to turn on using your method. I understand the order for powering up but it would save one step by leaving the transmitter on after doing compass calibration, just power off Phantom and power it back on and not move Phantom after it is powered back on.

You don't need to power off the transmitter. I do it just to let everything reboot & restart fresh. I guess I am doing something right. 51 flights without an issue.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20