After gimbal install, p2 shakes like a washing machine

Reaction score
Hi all, need orientation on this one please, recently installed a generic gimbal,
and now the P2 is giving serious vibration issues:

http://youtu.be/nLV-r4BaY7M

it shakes and sound exactly like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3DWF8sUDGA

so, seems like is not a gimbal brand issue.
Would like to hear from your experience, which could be a possible solution.
Thanks in advance.

Re: After gimbal install, p2 shakes like a washer machine

On yours (first video) it appears your dampners are the cause of your vibration - try tightening them down (lightly) with small wire ties.

On second video - his issues are gain settings with his "T" motors.

EMCSQUAR said:
On yours (first video) it appears your dampners are the cause of your vibration - try tightening them down (lightly) with small wire ties.

All right, will try that, I also haven't touch my factory gain settings, P/R/Y 120% V 200% Atti P/R 220%,
should I make changes there?

FedeVision said:
EMCSQUAR said:

All right, will try that, I also haven't touch my factory gain settings, R/P/Y/V 120% Atti 200%,
should I make changes there?

Try the wire ties first. Usually an add on gimbal (unless it's extremely heavy) doesn't require gain changes.

In that second video, the guy mentioned his new "T" motors, which tend to have a little more thrust to them causing vibrations.I found going to E300 propulsion setup on stock Phantom I had to lower gain settings because it would shake the daylights out of it.

When messing w/gains, oscilation/vibrations are indications of too much gain.

EMCSQUAR said:
Try the wire ties first. Usually an add on gimbal (unless it's extremely heavy) doesn't require gain changes.

In that second video, the guy mentioned his new "T" motors, which tend to have a little more thrust to them causing vibrations.I found going to E300 propulsion setup on stock Phantom I had to lower gain settings because it would shake the daylights out of it.

When messing w/gains, oscilation/vibrations are indications of too much gain.

All right, will do step by step tests, ties first, thank you so much!

If it's any consolation, Ever since i put my H3-3D on, my P2 has the shakes. I've tried different color balls, New props, I'm using the DJI Gimbal Spacer Adapter and just put on an ND filter to curb the now present jello from the shakes. Gimbal is also counterbalanced. All my cables and wires are secure and nothing is flopping around. I never had the shaking with my H3-2D Gimbal.

I just bought another set of DJI Props and am going to try it again.

Did several tests today using zip ties on the 4 dampeners balls, from 0%, 30%, 70%, to 100% tight,
they really helps at 70%, but still notoriously shaky on video.

I read somewhere that using Moon gel (some sort of silicon patches used by drummers) is great for vibrations, so bought it at end of day, putted some between the two plates of gimbal, and attached them with zip ties, not the dampeners and just like that I can feel the difference, will do the test tomorrow.
Will post results.

I had this issue with my P2V and a third party gimbal. It was a tolerance issue between camera mount and camera. A piece of scotch tape between them dampened the minute vibration which stopped the shaking. This fix solved my shaking completely. Just a thought.

Drone6 said:
I had this issue with my P2V and a third party gimbal. It was a tolerance issue between camera mount and camera. A piece of scotch tape between them dampened the minute vibration which stopped the shaking. This fix solved my shaking completely. Just a thought.

Thanks for the tip!
Thing is, the entire phantom shakes like on the second video, not just the camera,
checked the props and are balanced, guess is an unbalanced motors issue and/or
gains too high, tested Moongel and it makes wonders, but still need fine tuning to do.
More tests on their way.

I think I nailed it!

Added two Moongel pieces between gimbal's plates and it did the trick! Used one piece under the gopro but didn't help, got to remove it.
Hope this help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H3TszBpwEM

Thank you all for your reply.
Next step, add fpv, already started.

To all experiencing shake. 1st step to diagnosing a shake is to balance or replace your props. Actually, check all screws on copter first. Especially motor mounts. On the P2, the blades are thin, flexible and highly tuned for the P2. You should only replace them with oem DJI Props. Aftermarket props are usually not as accurately tuned.

Hello.... Its old thema but I got same problem :)
After instaling gimball i have same shaking phantom problem... Whole phantom shakes....
Try to do something with gain il repeat mechanical work...?

There are 3 things to address oscillation/vibration/jello. You can tell how bad by hovering and grabbing the skids. The moment you grab the skids, you will notice the wobbles will go away. Why?? the vibration is transferred into your arm (this is how dampeners work).

My P2V+ was the first 3 axis gimbal model and used first gen motors that looked like it was hand wound. This was modified to lift the H33D and Gopro that it wasn't originally designed for. Using the suggested H33D white stiff dampeners, it got jello. Switching to the thicker black dampeners fixed this. I added a 50gram tracker and it was at lifting capacity. I started to get jello. I bumped up the vertical gains bit by bit and was able to eliminate it.

I came to the following conclusion:

The weight of the payload - The heavier the payload, the higher chance of vibration. A heavier payload changes the centre of gravity and causes higher stress on the motors (fix this in gains or lower the weight). Think of lifting heavier weights at the gym - your arms shake with heavier weights.
The dampeners - heavier payloads will require thicker dampeners and lighter payloads will need thinner ones (I tried thick dampeners on my P3Adv and it wobbled on high speed dashes).
The gain settings - Gain affects resonance and creates distortion like on a guitar amp. The motors do the same. Certain gains will give the motor certain frequencies that can cause unwanted vibrations. Just make sure you set your gains to DEFAULT on each firmware update and then bump them up by 5%. The problem here is DJI assumed a generic default gain settings for ALL P2's not factoring the different models and different payloads it has to carry.

And make sure you do each test airborne as the vibrations will not happen on the ground.

Hello.... Its old thema but I got same problem :)
After instaling gimball i have same shaking phantom problem... Whole phantom shakes....
Try to do something with gain il repeat mechanical work...?

There's also the possibility the allen screw on the arm of the yaw motor is loose.
IMG_0024.jpg

Thnx.... 1 step was default gain... and up 5% on everything

Default:
Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

I started motors vithout blades and i hold dji in my arm and stick on controler to left and to right and i fell when I stick left, vibrations of motors are bit biger than when i stick in oposite way... So can be problem in motor maybe?
But this shaking wasnt before we put a this gimbal (bit of weight)

Update
Tried to fly... same problem

w6qu0n.jpg

Position when its off... do I need balance ?

Last edited:
I tried this and it works!
The gains were set at: BASIC Pitch: 120%, Roll: 120%, Yaw: 120%, Vertical: 200%. ATTITUDE Pitch: 220%, Roll: 220%. The vibrations go away when I set them to: BASIC Pitch: 100%, Roll: 100%, Yaw: 120%, Vertical: 200%. ATTITUDE Pitch: 220%, Roll: 220%.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1