after factory reset, cannot load firmware

QYV

Reaction score
I've been having the "horizon tilt with Hero 4" issue and someone in another thread with the same issue said a gimbal reset / firmware load fixed theirs.

I attempted the firmware reset as described in the youtube video... the LED goes red/yellow then red for a second, then red/yellow again and stays that way. When I power cycle the LED is indeed green, but the gimbal attempts no startup motion.
In both 3.2 and 3.6 Assistant sotware, there doesn't seem to be any H3-3D detected on the Upgrade tab

Any suggestions?

Hey QYV, I was afraid that might happen with mine, but went with it anyway. Mine was successful though. Here's what I did, and I did it again before posting to make sure:

Computer: Phantom Assistant is already running, USB unplugged from PC.

1. Turn Tx on
2. Using scissors, connected the 2 metal points from the H3-3D
3. Turned Phantom on, it initializes but H3-3D doesnt, it just plays dead but LED on H33D turns Amber (if not amber then that means the connection was not there)
4. While the Phantom is ON, I connect it to PC via USB cable. It then gets detected by the Assistant Software and then I do the FW upgrade. I do not click OK after the upgrade.
5. I power cycle after the upgrade is complete (put a gopro in it before doing so) and then it successfully initializes together with the Phantom 2.

Let me know if that works for you.

first off thanks very much for that. I don't know if it was the RC bit (didn't have that on before) or not power cycling before plugging in or having assistant software already running... probably all of the above... but I followed that procedure and indeed the gimbal is awake again. The youtube video I watched didn't have nearly that much detail or steps.

Can't tell if it fixed the Hero 4 horizon tilt but I very much look forward to taking it out to see!
thanks again!

No problem. Now do a calibration and hopefully it will fix yours as it did mine. Good Luck! :)

ThePhantom... How can I do a gimbal calibration. When I connect the P2 to the Gimbal software, the software does not recognize or see the gimbal.

mendezl said:
ThePhantom... How can I do a gimbal calibration. When I connect the P2 to the Gimbal software, the software does not recognize or see the gimbal.

Hey mendezl, just follow the instructions on my previous post.

ThePhantom said:
No problem. Now do a calibration and hopefully it will fix yours as it did mine. Good Luck! :)

IMU or compass? both? It was super windy yesterday but I took my hero4 up for a quick spin and it definitely looks better than before there isn't an obvious horizon tilt.

EDIT: I don't know if I just didn't fly long enough yesterday or what, I did an Advanced IMU cali today and the tilt is definitely back... flew around for 3-4 mins and most of the time it was tilted, although for a few occasions for a few seconds it was level... but then I turn or fly around and it tilts. very frustrating

ThePhantom said:
Hey QYV, I was afraid that might happen with mine, but went with it anyway. Mine was successful though. Here's what I did, and I did it again before posting to make sure:

Computer: Phantom Assistant is already running, USB unplugged from PC.

1. Turn Tx on
2. Using scissors, connected the 2 metal points from the H3-3D
3. Turned Phantom on, it initializes but H3-3D doesnt, it just plays dead but LED on H33D turns Amber (if not amber then that means the connection was not there)
4. While the Phantom is ON, I connect it to PC via USB cable. It then gets detected by the Assistant Software and then I do the FW upgrade. I do not click OK after the upgrade.
5. I power cycle after the upgrade is complete (put a gopro in it before doing so) and then it successfully initializes together with the Phantom 2.

Let me know if that works for you.

Champ mate!!!
I upgraded the firmware to 12 and it went limp. I tried it without the RC on and the phantom software running and failed.
Did what you said and worked a treat.
Thanks

There is apparently a new gimbal firmware out which some are saying may be to address the horizon issue. Both my Phantoms are on the other side of the country so I cannot verify until after the holidays.

ianwood said:
There is apparently a new gimbal firmware out

out? Out as in "coming out" or "out to beta testers" or "our somewhere QYV can get it right now" ?
:)

ThePhantom said:
1. Turn Tx on

quick FYI, I just did the procedure again and it works the same without the RC on. nbd just sayin

I had the same problem, regarding the original question. The gimbal was not being recognized by the Assistant software.
I went to a DJI certified repair center and I talked to the tech and he told me to have the PH2 hooked up via usb cable to my computer with the Assistant Software ON, while doing the whole reset procedure. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 times for the Assistant to recognize the Gimbal.
I was doing it wrong before, (doing the reset while disconnected from the computer) You have to do it while all hooked up. With the software on the 'Updates' tab, so you can see the H3 3D update appear, (it will appear when it recognizes the gimbal)
My 2 cents, this worked for me.

QYV said:
ThePhantom said:

IMU or compass? both? It was super windy yesterday but I took my hero4 up for a quick spin and it definitely looks better than before there isn't an obvious horizon tilt.

EDIT: I don't know if I just didn't fly long enough yesterday or what, I did an Advanced IMU cali today and the tilt is definitely back... flew around for 3-4 mins and most of the time it was tilted, although for a few occasions for a few seconds it was level... but then I turn or fly around and it tilts. very frustrating

I've now done this twice and I'm fairly confident about it...
When I do the gimbal reset procedure and immediately slap in the Hero4 and fly, the horizon is level. If I do an IMU calibration (on what my iPhone tells me is a flat surface and no magnets/electronics nearby) and/or compass calibration, I get horizon tilt after. very strange... but at least I can fly around now with no horizon tilt so long as I DON'T IMU cali after the reset

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20