after dunking, P4 gimbal initialisation goes crazy

Reaction score
I managed to land in the only bit of water for miles around. Totally submerged for about a minute. After a day of TLC all seems good except that upon switching on, the gimbal goes crazy. The camera is recording OK during this phase and the motors all fire up. It maybe I need to wait longer for something in the gimbal to dry out? It's only been a day sitting in the hot Spanish sun LOL!

This is after overnight drying. The camera is working just the gimbal can't initialise itself correctly.

Would it be a good idea to spray a little WD40 (a very fine oil that acts as a water repellent and is used to dry electrical circuits, probably under a different name outside the UK).

Last edited:
This is after overnight drying. The camera is working just the gimbal can't initialise itself correctly.

Would it be a good idea to spray a little WD40 (a very fine oil that acts as a water repellent and is used to dry electrical circuits, probably under a different name outside the UK).
I'd suggest a few more days to dry, and not powering on during that time. Add a container of rice or salt to help absorb some of the moisture, though obviously you don't want salt or rice getting into the internals.

Before I saw your reply, I powered it up again and the gimbal played up. so I squirted a little WD40 through the little vent holes on the dome the gimbal is attached to and powered up again. This time the gimbal reacted correctly. However after a few minutes it had a small fit then settled again. so as you say, it needs more time but the WD40 certainly help dispel moisture it seems. Fingers crossed!

I see the front cover of the lens with moisture, take it off and clean it up well.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I had pledged $179 to get a set of the WaterStrider pontoons for my P4, two days ago the project went live and my account was debited $257.22, the $179 is USD I am Australian so long storey short I have received a refund but man after hearing how many drop into the water I wish I could afford them. Check them out.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl