After discharging questions

Reaction score
Hey all

Its 20 cycles on my new battery. I discharged it by flying to 10%

1. Should i discharge it even more?
2. After what time should i recharge it
3. up to how many %? Not planning to fly soon.

Sent from my SM-G900FD using PhantomPilots mobile app

You should discharge to 4-5% and let it cool down. Charge it back to 100% may be after an hour of cooling time. Idea is that battery should not be charged in hot conditions else it's internal temp may cross its limits.

How are you discharging? If you are using drone to discharge without props, I suggest to keep a cooling fan to cool your drone. Drones electronics needs air to cool and that it gets during flying. But when you are using it to discharge batteries without props, electronics will not get enough cooling.

Deep discharge after 20 cycles was proposed by DJI. In fact I do something different. Every time I use charged battery, I check its capacity and if the capacity shown in DJI Go App is lower by say 10-12% of its rated capacity, I take it up for deep cycling. You will see that it recovers its capacity to almost full rated capacity. As the batteries goes old, you will not be able to get back to full capacity but that's ok. You at least know how batteries are getting old and you need new ones. For your information, if you maintain batteries well, you can easily get 200 flights with each battery if not more. Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I thought I read that deep discharging was no longer recommended. (Maybe I was on drugs.)
Something to do with software update?

Last edited:
You should discharge to 4-5% and let it cool down. Charge it back to 100% may be after an hour of cooling time. Idea is that battery should not be charged in hot conditions else it's internal temp may cross its limits.

How are you discharging? If you are using drone to discharge without props, I suggest to keep a cooling fan to cool your drone. Drones electronics needs air to cool and that it gets during flying. But when you are using it to discharge batteries without props, electronics will not get enough cooling.

Deep discharge after 20 cycles was proposed by DJI. In fact I do something different. Every time I use charged battery, I check its capacity and if the capacity shown in DJI Go App is lower by say 10-12% of its rated capacity, I take it up for deep cycling. You will see that it recovers its capacity to almost full rated capacity. As the batteries goes old, you will not be able to get back to full capacity but that's ok. You at least know how batteries are getting old and you need new ones. For your information, if you maintain batteries well, you can easily get 200 flights with each battery if not more. Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
I was under the impression you could only get 200 cycles from the battery and then it de activates.

Deep discharge is not benefecial for any type of battery except Ni-Cd batteries who have a "memory". I am using large packs of lithium batteries (320 A/h) and the constructor recommands to avoid to discharge them more than 20% of their capacity. To discharge this type of batteries to 5% or less is very risky.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl