After 1 year flying it nearly happened!

You "MAY" be getting overly excited with this incident, and then you may have encountered a glitch with either the Firmware or more so the latest Camera App.
The possibilities are certainly present and concern certainly warranted, BUT you shouldn't necessarily loose all confidence, merely follow some basics for the time being which consist of doing what you have probably already have done in many of your incident free flights.
You may want to ensure everything is sufficiently charged up. Transmitter, main battery, etc. always ensure you have no apps running in the background from possibly a previous flight, always start fresh as if it was your first flight of the day. Make certain your home point has been satisfactorily marked in the camera App. Do not fly with the Wi-Fi on rather turn it off and airplane mode ON to eliminate possible interference of any kind as this has been know to affect video performance sometimes. Select hardware encoding within the camera settings. In addition it has been suggested by some to turn off Cache video files to also minimize video concerns.
Try flying at a lesser distance until you establish a good working knowledge of flying in Atti mode. Atti provides no GPS and helps you understand how wind can substantially affect performance causing the model to drift quickly while the actual direction of the model may be misinterpreted, particularly when at a distance. If the camera App is still functioning use you radar icon to help determine which way the model is facing, and if all else fail quickly engage a RTH as you had eventually done.
When there is an interruption of radio signal if only momentarily, the model will switch in and out of Atti mode, as this may have briefly occurred.
Try to always maintain a LOS and reasonable altitude to help avoid such occurrences. Personally I'm not in a position to technically evaluate your flight logs and predict with reasonable certainty the cause of the incident you had experienced. I'm afraid you will need to take it slow for a while dotting your i's and crossing your t's before each flight until you establish routine performance or determine further issues.
When in doubt land and reboot the system, clearing all apps and beginning once again.
Another thing, try and fly in sparse areas just in case you find it necessary to abort your flight, and to give you more time to regain control before entering into populated areas.
Hope this is of some help, maybe someone else can help with your flight files.

Last edited:
You "MAY" be getting overly excited with this incident, and then you may have encountered a glitch with either the Firmware or more so the latest Camera App.
The possibilities are certainly present and concern certainly warranted, BUT you shouldn't necessarily loose all confidence, merely follow some basics for the time being which consist of doing what you have probably already have done in many of your incident free flights.
You may want to ensure everything is sufficiently charged up. Transmitter, main battery, etc. always ensure you have no apps running in the background from possibly a previous flight, always start fresh as if it was your first flight of the day. Make certain your home point has been satisfactorily marked in the camera App. Do not fly with the Wi-Fi on rather turn it off to eliminate possible interference of any kind as this has been know to affect video performance sometimes. Select hardware encoding within the camera settings. In addition it has been suggested by some to turn off Cache video files to also minimize video concerns.
Try flying at a lesser distance until you establish a good working knowledge of flying in Atti mode. Atti provides no GPS and helps you understand how wind can substantially affect performance causing the model to drift quickly while the actual direction of the model may be misinterpreted, particularly when at a distance. If the camera App is still functioning use you radar icon to help determine which way the model is facing, and if all else fail quickly engage a RTH as you had eventually done.
When there is an interruption of radio signal if only momentarily, the model will switch in and out of Atti mode, as this may have briefly occurred.
Try to always maintain a LOS and reasonable altitude to help avoid such occurrences. Personally I'm not in a position to technically evaluate your flight logs and predict with reasonable certainty the cause of the incident you had experienced. I'm afraid you will need to take it slow for a while dotting your i's and crossing your t's before each flight until you establish routine performance or determine further issues.
When in doubt land and reboot the system, clearing all apps and beginning once again.
Another thing, try and fly in sparse areas just in case you find it necessary to abort your flight, and to give you more time to regain control before entering into populated areas.

Thanks for your reply and info i do appreciate and will put it to practice.

i have just looked at my flight log with the sticks on and when i am moving my right stick to go forward it is also showing a left movement too at the same time this is exactly how it was flying so mine doesent have a problem it must be me doing it without realising, so im going to take it back out later today to see what happens.

mine is doing the same thing im scared to fly it at the moment it goes to the left when i try to move it forwards it started with the new app update with me.

lol, I got thrown off once wondering why my Phantom wasn't flying in the direction I thought it should be. Then I realized I had accidentally put it into IOC mode from the regular flight mode. Doh!

In Iintelligent Orientation Control, Forward Back Left and Right are always that, regardless of Nose Orientation. So lets say you accidentally switched to IOC mode and thought you were flying your Phantom forward but instead your Phantom is flying sideways not forward? Malfunction? You freak out? Nope, just let off the controls and your Phantom should come to a stop. Compose yourself, take a deep breath. Make sure your switches are where they should be and that the Phantom is in a safe hover. So if your Phantom was facing in front of you with the nose pointing towards the right, you think you're going to make it move forward which would make the Phantom move from left to right but if you had it in IOC mode it would move away from you rather than staying in it's retaliative position and just moving left to right. If he plays back his flight log it should show him if an accidental switch to IOC was his problem.

Reactions: rigor
I would wonder about wind. Looks pretty breezy at ground level, could be hurricane at that level. I had problems flying mine on a day like this. I went to 400 feet because of the filming I needed to do and kept getting pushed further and further away. Full stick would not bring it back to me. I had to descend to 100 feet before I could make traction.

I would wonder about wind. Looks pretty breezy at ground level, could be hurricane at that level. I had problems flying mine on a day like this. I went to 400 feet because of the filming I needed to do and kept getting pushed further and further away. Full stick would not bring it back to me. I had to descend to 100 feet before I could make traction.
I had an issue like this on the coast a few days ago-- Wind at 20 gusting to 30 mph-- quad kept going out when I tried to bring it back. It would hover and then slide a little further out with the gust. So I activated RTH -- It rose to 100 ft, the RTH altitude I had set and back she came, when I got it over land I took over and dropped the altitude to about 10 ft and flew it back and landed it. Whew:confused:--- I was nervous for a while, looked like Corpus Christi Bay was getting ready to claim it.:eek:

At 30 MPH, it will drift away at hover.

Switched it on tonight to investigate further and these are the compass values. Also it kept flicking between gps and no gps red and green on the ipad?

Attachments

• 20150715_205624.jpg
    20150715_205624.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 161

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj