African airline reports drone collision with passenger jet

LuvMyTJ

Admin
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
An African airline reported Friday that one of its planes collided with a drone while approaching the airport in Tete, Mozambique.

Linhas Aereas de Mozambique (LAM) said on its Facebook page that the Boeing 737-700 was approaching Tete from Maputo on Thursday about 5:15 p.m. local time with 86 people aboard when the incident happened. The plane landed safely without any injuries. [read more at source linked below]

SOURCE:

C1fZWsSXcAA-kpZ.jpg

An African airline reported Friday that one of its planes collided with a drone while approaching the airport in Tete, Mozambique.

Linhas Aereas de Mozambique (LAM) said on its Facebook page that the Boeing 737-700 was approaching Tete from Maputo on Thursday about 5:15 p.m. local time with 86 people aboard when the incident happened. The plane landed safely without any injuries. [read more at source linked below]

SOURCE:

C1fZWsSXcAA-kpZ.jpg
Ouch, that was a decent impact, if that was a drone it won't fly there again!! Would 1.4 kg of Phantom do that sort of damage or was it something bigger. Interesting that the pitot tubes appear different in each photo but it maybe an optical illusion.

Yes, an illusion created by shadows.

C1glGRVUUAAIyCx.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ouch, that was a decent impact, if that was a drone it won't fly there again!! Would 1.4 kg of Phantom do that sort of damage or was it something bigger. Interesting that the pitot tubes appear different in each photo but it maybe an optical illusion.
even a less weight can do more damage.. consider the drone speed (let's say 30 mph) and consider the plane speed (God knows what) impacting face to face or side ways.. they are lucky it wasn't worse [emoji120]

Sent from my SM-G928V using PhantomPilots mobile app

F=MA baby!

Reactions: MCTV
F=MA baby!
cops never understand that. Best way to deal with drunk driver is to accelerate so your F is bigger than theirs.

Plus nose is thin so it doesn't mess with the radar behind it.
Bet most of the damage was from bird that was chasing the drone into the plane. ;)

You are looking down the tube in second shot, that is the base holding tube out from plane body. I have a 8" square block of plexiglass that was hit by an electron going very fast. It looks much worse off than the plane.

Love to see the SD card footage of the drone lol. But if that's the case then I want to know what the heck happened to the falling drone!!

Neon Euc

Love to see the SD card footage of the drone lol. But if that's the case then I want to know what the heck happened to the falling drone!!

Neon Euc
If they decide it was not a bird strike and that it is most likely a UAS, I bet they have worked out the suspected trajectory of the debris and are searching for evidence.

Thank goodness nobody got hurt. In the U.S. Keep it under 400 feet, and 5 miles from airports. Further away the better! Fly safe [emoji106][emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

cops never understand that. Best way to deal with drunk driver is to accelerate so your F is bigger than theirs.

Plus nose is thin so it doesn't mess with the radar behind it.
Bet most of the damage was from bird that was chasing the drone into the plane. ;)
Yeah,the nose section is just fiberglass. Used to wok in the same building as the Air Force's 'chicken cannon'! (Yep, used compressed air to fire a chicken carcass into aircraft parts at realistic speeds). You should see how much damage a 5 lb bird can cause. If it was a drone (still want more details), could have caused a lot more!

If you look at the first impact point, you can see three slices from a graphite prop and paint transfer consistent with a Mavic. You just can't fool forensics.

We all know about those Mavic people, don't we?

But in all seriousness, I can't imagine that's anything but a mid-air with another aircraft and nothing sporting a DJI logo. The question is, which country is missing a drone?

SB

Reactions: Tschens
If they decide it was not a bird strike and that it is most likely a UAS, I bet they have worked out the suspected trajectory of the debris and are searching for evidence.

There should be plenty of evidence inside the composite nose cone... looks like it broke right through. There have been plenty of bird strikes and there is almost always evidence of bird parts.... It is concerning that there is no blood evident in the photo.

The damaged area is WAY too big for a consumer drone...

Reactions: thefrisbee995

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik