Afraid of Flyaways?

Reaction score
I had one fly away with my vision2+ and had to buy a new one, and thats really sucks.

So i bought a true GPS tracker that just need a SIM card and no monthly charge. It works so fine and I just send a text message to it, and it responds to me with a link to google maps and it's current location. Awesome!

So, i did a 3D print of the holder and it is available at shapeways for a couple of burgers!

http://shpws.me/v8hG

The tracker can be found on ebay and it is a cheap insurance for flyaways!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid= ... &_from=R40

FearOfTheDark said:
So i bought a true GPS tracker that just need a SIM card and no monthly charge.

What do you mean "no monthly charge"? How this actually works? Ebay page has very little details about the unit. Thanks!

2- Do I need a SIM card? If so how much will it cost monthly?

-This device needs a SIM card to transfer the data or to make two way communication. The average internet data usage is around 30MB. Most people get prepaid SIM cards with the lowest package option which is around $10 per month.

I think I heard someone say that you can get a pretty good deal by adding a line to your current plan, if your provider uses SIM cards, like AT&T.

I'm curious about your flyaway - what happened? I -just- got my P2V+ today and I already have my GPS tracker but not attached yet, need to get the SIM/GoPhone...but I'm not paying 34 bucks for a 2 buck chunk of ABS for a holder....a lot cheaper options than that!!

C.D.

I am in Fort Myers and just had a fly away with my P2V+. It does seem like the radio transmitter can get a lot of interference and you lose the ability to control it.
I had three flashing green, don't know why the Fly Home function didn't bring it back, but I am going to get a GPS tracking setup on the next one...too much money to just throw away. I did place a couple of lost and found ads but the last video view I had it was over water, so it may be with the fishies by now. Live and learn...

Traderwayne said:
I am in Fort Myers and just had a fly away with my P2V+. It does seem like the radio transmitter can get a lot of interference and you lose the ability to control it.
I had three flashing green, don't know why the Fly Home function didn't bring it back,

Same thing happened to me and my P2V+ was never found.
P2V+ can lose GPS singnal whilst in the air and probably thats what happened to you too.
I've done aluminium foil mod on my second one and since then GPS is rock solid when in the air.

___ said:
Is there a favorite GPS tracker among members?

Seems the TK102B is the one I see most used as it is small and light (That's what that Shapeways holder is supposed to hold..and in my case costs MORE than the tracker!! :p) I need to get SIM card for mine still but seems if you're at least a little bit tech savvy it works well enough for the purpose. There's a ton of them on Amazon, seemingly all cheap Chinese knockoffs of the original. This is the one I went with:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008YD ... UTF8&psc=1

CD

Traderwayne said:
I had three flashing green, don't know why the Fly Home function didn't bring it back, but I am going to get a GPS tracking setup on the next one...too much money to just throw away. I did place a couple of lost and found ads but the last video view I had it was over water, so it may be with the fishies by now. Live and learn...

Three flashing green lights? Maybe you could give us a little more detail. Do you mean the green lights flashed three times, then paused, flashed again three times? How many locked satellites displayed on the app screen?

When the Phantom has proper GPS lock, the lights should steadily flash green.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers