Aerodynamics

Reaction score
Browse through the forum and you will find happy flyers who have added all sorts of bits and bobs to their Phantom. Prop Guards, string, lens hoods, filters, longer legs, leg extensions, gimbal protection plates, release mechanisms for parcels, wifi locators etc etc.
A few people have questioned whether the additional bits mess up the aerodynamics.
Given that the Phantoms are basically just a flying camera, with, lets face it, a non smooth design with bits dangling and protruding and yet that the gimbal is pretty **** good at maintaining a stable, level image, does it make much of a difference? Has anyone had enough time on their hands to fly, add bits, take them off and compare performance and I mean at the same time in the same conditions?
Oh and while we are it, what weight will she lift? No, forget that, afterall if we use it to lift something, the aerodynamics of the object and rope/twine/wire attaching it to her will be far too complex :confused:

The only "Aerodynamic" portion of our sUAS would be the props. Everything else is like a huge speed brake LOL!

I have seen where people installed a Solar Lens cap (petal type) and it caught so much wind resistance that it was pulling the camera down if they attempted fast forward flight(FFF). A few people now make them with either no lower lip or a greatly reduced lower "petal". I use one of the full petal types but my flying style doesn't use FFF hardly ever so it isn't a factor in my flight envelope.

But..........when we look in nature.............it is much like a bumble bee..........they shouldn't be able to fly either but they do...:)

Exactly!! And for the most part very well :) It's all about the Flight Controller and it's ability to "force" flight upon the aircraft.

Reactions: Philltayl

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20