Aerodynamic phenomen when descending in Phantom

havasuphoto said:
As for the; more power required to maintain altitude while yawing. Not sure what you can do to "fix" this. It's normal for any rotorcraft to either descend or ascend while yawing, and altitude compensation is with Power(throttle).

My naked, stock Phantom doesn't drop an inch when I spin it like a top. If you add stuff (camera, gimble, etc, etc,) then the CG will be off, and so I imagine the copter will wobble and have a harder time maintaining attitude and altitude. A don't think a stock Phantom should drop...FWIW, neither does my F450, although, as I have said, it does translate laterally about 8" per revolution and the GPS does NOT pull it back if I keep on spinning it.

PF

IAP said:
Ah, thanks for explaining this.

I experienced that effect on my 5th flight. Was bringing her down (max rate) from 400 feet. At about 200 feet the PV wobbled, I just thought it was a cross wind / turblance, but not from its own thrust. Makes sense now.
Yep-that's settling with power. I did it on purpose-to see if it was even possible, and it is.
Just so people know, if you add more throttle, it was actually get worse, and descend faster. For quick recovery, go forward.....recovery should be almost instant.

PhantomFan said:
havasuphoto said:
As for the; more power required to maintain altitude while yawing. Not sure what you can do to "fix" this. It's normal for any rotorcraft to either descend or ascend while yawing, and altitude compensation is with Power(throttle).

My naked, stock Phantom doesn't drop an inch when I spin it like a top. If you add stuff (camera, gimble, etc, etc,) then the CG will be off, and so I imagine the copter will wobble and have a harder time maintaining attitude and altitude. A don't think a stock Phantom should drop...FWIW, neither does my F450, although, as I have said, it does translate laterally about 8" per revolution and the GPS does NOT pull it back if I keep on spinning it.

PF
I read somewhere that the GPS tolerances on the Naza-M for lateral stability are 2.5 meters, and vertically 0.8 meters. So, theoretically in GPS mode it should "hold" in about an 8 foot circle. That's a pretty big circle.......

Maybe...but not when you max out the yaw!!! What I REALLY think is going on is that the NAZA interprets the motion as stick input (after all, the yaw stick is hard over) and so doesn't even TRY to keep its location steady using the GPS. It interprets the max yaw and translation as a valid flight instruction.

PF

PhantomFan said:
Maybe...but not when you max out the yaw!!! What I REALLY think is going on is that the NAZA interprets the motion as stick input (after all, the yaw stick is hard over) and so doesn't even TRY to keep its location steady using the GPS. It interprets the max yaw and translation as a valid flight instruction.

PF
I think you're exactly right. I think it will only "hold" position, with the stick centered. If the stick is move off axis, even a little, it interprets that to mean; "I want to fly this way..."

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers