AerialTEK Copper Parabolic add-on.

Reaction score
Please everyone. I will be venting.

So I finally got a chance to install these
ea17b26a3390dda979f7878aae0a76aa_thumb.jpg

And they were awful!!
I started losing trans/signal right after taking off. Got the P3P up to 235m and it started to say "signal lost". I still had my image, but my drone was just up there, so I started to freak out and try to walk in the same direction just to see if I can get the signal back.

I know this a rant.
But any idea what's going on??
I'm getting real peed off that I can't fly my baby cause all these issues.
Please and thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Those things work. There is nothing that can be wrong or broken with them. Principle is simple and used in other applications. Only thing you have to be careful about is to aim youe signal which is now very narrow. Imagine that you glued laser pointer on top of windsurfers between antennas pointing away from you. That beam is your signal now. It has to be aimed to your aircraft directly. Not left, right, above or under it. And btw, going straight up over your position is not recommended with or without windsurfers due to the placement of antennas in Phantom.

Last edited:
As Neven says just needs to be pointed at the bird, especially at height overhead.

these antennas really work. But if by mistake the bird pass over your head then the RC looses the signal suddenly. You just have to be very careful. One practical solution is that when you flying the bird close to you e.g. before landing you simply remove the antennas.

Then what's the point of having these if there so restricted?

You wouldn't believe how much difference they make range wise if used correctly. In my case they give me 50% more distance on same location (4 vs 6km). Maybe I scared you with laser pointer comparison. You don't have to be that precise:)

You wouldn't believe how much difference they make range wise if used correctly. In my case they give me 50% more distance on same location (4 vs 6km). Maybe I scared you with laser pointer comparison. You don't have to be that precise:)

You actually read my mind neven. Lol
You did scare me just a little cause I'm thinking a laser gun fix on the drone. [emoji16]
But in all seriousness, it's kinda hard to have to hold the controller upwards.
Is there a better way to set this up?
Any pics or links on how would be greatly appreciated.

You actually read my mind neven. Lol
You did scare me just a little cause I'm thinking a laser gun fix on the drone. [emoji16]
But in all seriousness, it's kinda hard to have to hold the controller upwards.
Is there a better way to set this up?
Any pics or links on how would be greatly appreciated.

I use this: https://www.amazon.com/DJI-Shoulder-Lanyard-Necklaces-Phantom/dp/B00ZZPYIVW and a top hole on my RC's tablet holder. With RC antennas in vertical position and RC resting on a lanyard gives me perfect 10-ish degrees upward angle for long distance flight at 300-400ft altitude. I would use antennas in middle position only when doing negative altitude flights and in horizontal position (without windsurfer) when doing very short distance high altitude flights.
Grab your RC, hold it in most natural position for you and make someone take a picture from a side. You will see how antennas are positioned and then adjust for your flights.

Last edited:
they havent helped at all for me either and i have a P4. complete waste of money and money for shipping

Sorry to hear this.
It must be design or implementation.
There are poorly made ones I'd bet but even a License plate should still help a bit.
(folks have tried CDs, DVDs, Salad Bowls, Pringle's cans, etc. and all claim some improvement)

The physics behind them is, well, the Law. ;)

You need a basic course in Antenna. Short answer TANSTAAFL (There A'int No Such Thing As A Free Lunch). You pay for it, somewhere. With a passive antenna, you get more range by focusing the beam. A perhaps better analogy than the laser pointer is a regular flashlight with a wide to narrow angle beam. Same amount of power (the batteries and light source), different focus.

All of the range extenders work on narrowing the beam. The narrower the beam, the longer the reach (that's the mysterious 'gain' with the weird 'dB' notation). That's fine for most purposes since you are trying to go far which more or less assumes that you are going in a straightesh line. If you are trying for vertical altitude you would just point the antennas up. I've seen pictures of guys using helical coil antennas which have wonderful gain and incredibly narrow beam widths. These would not be very useful for most flyers.

The DJI stock antennas are a compromise - just like every other antenna ever made. Most of the energy goes forward but there is a lot of beam that goes sideways and up. This leaves the operator more energy to concentrate flying and less on moving the RC around. But even DJI points out that you have to generally point the antenna in the direction the aircraft is. Fortunately for every newbie operator, the Phantoms are pretty forgiving. If they lose signal they will stop and eventually wander back home.

I think the antenna is doing what it is supposed to do, you just have unrealistic expectations of what it can accomplish. You can do a bit more with amplifiers but I would suggest getting your antenna-foo boosted first

** Disclaimer ** - Changing anything in terms of antenna, transmitter or channel from stock violates FCC Part 15 Rules. Awful things could conceivably happen to you if you do that. Hemorrhoids, taxes, your daughter runs off with a politician. You have been warned.

If your not flying well within the limits then you don't need them. If you are flying immediately above you don't need them. If you are flying in an area where there is noise, interference they will help boost your connection when pointing at the bird. If you are going to push the limits in terms of distance out then they will help. Even a bad made version will provide a gain in range. Do I use mine all the time no only where I am heading out a reasonable distance and want the surety of connection.

I too have a set of these (same idea, different brand) and I see an improvement over bare antennas. You may have had some sort of glitch at that moment. These antennas will not cause the issues you described. Have you flown again since this episode? If so, were your results different? My guess is there was some other issue at the moment. As is with many computer type items, a simple reboot may be the fix.

I too have a set of these (same idea, different brand) and I see an improvement over bare antennas. You may have had some sort of glitch at that moment. These antennas will not cause the issues you described. Have you flown again since this episode? If so, were your results different? My guess is there was some other issue at the moment. As is with many computer type items, a simple reboot may be the fix.

I couldn't reboot and or adjust anything cause a family member missed her flight [emoji35][emoji35][emoji35][emoji35]
But I did order the Maxxuav antenna today.
Yes I know I'm stupid and crazy. Lol

Last edited:
WetDog hit the nail on the head. Must be a radio guy like me. Think of these as car headlights vs a normal round light bulb. Without the reflector, they aren't really that bright. What you're doing is gathering all the power of your transmitter and shooting it toward the bird. Send the drone out in front of you about 50 feet and let it hover there. Now look up. Look left, look right. Turn your back to the drone and look back. Your transmitter is sending power to all those places... But your bird isn't there. The reflectors take all that wasted power and send it toward your target.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I couldn't reboot and or adjust anything cause a family member missed her flight [emoji35][emoji35][emoji35][emoji35]
But I did order the Maxxuav antenna today.
Yes I know I'm stupid and crazy. Lol

You should have saved your money and bought some of these. I get three plus miles with these over a congested area. i run out of battery before I run out of range.
Alfa 7 dBi gain RP-SMA directional panel antenna Wi-Fi APA-M04

Nothing against the alphas .. But I do know for sure that they won't hold up next to the itelite. I have tested both .. Same remote / aircraft / flight path/ etc.

But definitely a good start if you want to dabble in modified antennas etc!!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Nothing against the alphas .. But I do know for sure that they won't hold up next to the itelite. I have tested both .. Same remote / aircraft / flight path/ etc.

But definitely a good start if you want to dabble in modified antennas etc!!

I understand...but those prices are absolutely insane. I am not trying to be harsh, but its a panel antenna and some cables, then there is an additional charge of $44.00 for a clean install kit which honestly should be include with the over inflated price anyway. The markup on these it insulting.
The Alphas are $8.00 and I can get over three miles with them, I run out of battery before I run out of range. That seems sufficient. I am sure the Maxx have better penetration though.
Thanks, but no thanks.
It does look to be a well put together kit though.

Reactions: Double_DoubleG
Some people like driving an older Hyundai for example .. And some like driving a brand new Porsche. (Brands are just used for example)

You are welcome to your opinion and I won't say anything negative about it. If the Alfa antennas or even some cheap eBay whip antennas are working well for you or anyone else then awesome !!

I don't think you are considering everything though.
The itelite antennas are a premium antenna manufactured in Poland rather than China where all the cheap eBay antennas are from.

The itelite Kit comes with all cables / hardware necessary to install the antenna on your remote.
They just require you to drill 2 holes in the remote to feed the sma connectors through.

We didn't like that look so we designed the clean install cables are an add on for people who like the nicer things in life but not necessary. (ie. The ability to use the existing antenna holes and retain a more OEM look)

As most people assume markups are huge and everyone should sell everything cheaper, this is true in some companies I'm sure but also don't forget. We have overheads running businesses, we have to design and import everything into our respective countries before selling it. Which entails taxes / import fees / duties / exchange rates / etc.

And lastly we would rather opt to reduce our markup than reduce quality as we are in this for the love of the hobby much before we are in it for the money. We know there are cheaper options that will help increase your signal but we aim to create a solid product that is palatable by the average consumer, backed up with bulletproof customer service and proven results.

Don't get me wrong, having the ability to try all the latest and greatest stuff while making a few bucks is an awesome side effect !!!

I own MAXX UAV Canada and I have helped anyone who asks for help regardless of which antenna they are using. I'm sure if you ask Jake @ MAXX UAV USA or Fredz @ MAXX UAV EU they will have done the same.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31