Aerial video/photos: has the novelty worn off yet?

Reaction score
I bought my P3A in July 2015 knowing that I wouldn't need or use the P3P w/ 4K camera. Truthfully, I think 4K is still relatively ahead of its time, as you don't see much 4K content being broadcast or widely available (yet). Nor did/do I have any interest in purchasing a new powerful computer system/monitor to watch/edit 4K video. That's a different story though.

My question for everyone is; has the whole aerial filming thing wore off on you yet? Aside from the folks who are photography enthusiasts, do you really ever watch any of your P3 videos more than a few times?

Speaking for only myself, I get the most enjoyment out of flying this bird using my iPad Air 2 and using the video feed as I fly. Flying it far way (yes WAY past VLOS, but only over lakes and a state game area that isn't populated) and sending it on long distance waypoint missions using Litchi. I recently upgraded my RC antenna with DBS and love it. Tinkering with upgrades and putting on accessories is just as cool as flying it IMO. When I do record video I watch it a couple times and delete it.

I'm probably the minority here, as I gather a lot of people use theirs for "unauthorized" commercial use. But for me, recording video was only cool for about 2 months.

Feel free to share how your relationship with the P3 has evolved over time. I'm interested in seeing if I'm the black sheep here. Lol

I often wonder the same thing. That's the number one reason I haven't pulled the trigger on buying one yet.

I love the idea of video, but to be honest, I prefer the use of it for photos. But mine is pretty new and I haven't been awfully adventurous with it just yet, haven't traveled very high or far at this stage - I'm still on the 10/10 battery acclimation thing.

I hear ya. That was something I thought long and hard about before pulling the trigger on my P3A (How much use would it really get) I'm not a photographer but wanted something to record some of the nice scenery I encounter on my rides and share it with my family. I like the flying aspect of Quads and enjoy zipping my QX3 around. Thinking of getting an 250 sized racer...

Last edited:
I bought my P3A in July 2015 knowing that I wouldn't need or use the P3P w/ 4K camera. Truthfully, I think 4K is still relatively ahead of its time, as you don't see much 4K content being broadcast or widely available (yet). Nor did/do I have any interest in purchasing a new powerful computer system/monitor to watch/edit 4K video. That's a different story though.

My question for everyone is; has the whole aerial filming thing wore off on you yet? Aside from the folks who are photography enthusiasts, do you really ever watch any of your P3 videos more than a few times?

Speaking for only myself, I get the most enjoyment out of flying this bird using my iPad Air 2 and using the video feed as I fly. Flying it far way (yes WAY past VLOS, but only over lakes and a state game area that isn't populated) and sending it on long distance waypoint missions using Litchi. I recently upgraded my RC antenna with DBS and love it. Tinkering with upgrades and putting on accessories is just as cool as flying it IMO. When I do record video I watch it a couple times and delete it.

I'm probably the minority here, as I gather a lot of people use theirs for "unauthorized" commercial use. But for me, recording video was only cool for about 2 months.

Feel free to share how your relationship with the P3 has evolved over time. I'm interested in seeing if I'm the black sheep here. Lol

LOL - your not the "black sheep" on here - it is a legitimate question and food for thought. Without doubt there are likely some who, as with other hobbies they jumped into have lost some interest in shooting video and sitting down and spending even more time editing that footage. I hear ya as to 4k - but no matter the product these days - when 4k is mentioned it perks up some ears and interest, then purchase of same.

I am only a short time into this and so far I enjoy it immensely and always looking for great locations to shoot video. I want to master this art of both flying and filming and carry that into my business of vibration and thermography - applying the DJI/Flir combo for Thermal Imaging and Video.

At this time I can't say the "novelty" has worn off and I hope it just keeps on evolving into bigger and better things!

Hey, to each their own right - you enjoy tinkering, mods etc. and get a kick out of that as much as you do flying.

Bottom line I suppose is regardless of which group we fall into - flying and filming or just flying - we all have that one commonality which is - love to fly these!

Good post 0DRK3RTand worth a like and a response - stay safe!

I am surprised with this response to being bored about aerial photography, I find flying and filming fantastic and the technology is amazing maybe I appreciate it more as I am older
and am from an era of early technologies like before mobile phones etc.
I constantly look for new and improved videos and it can also enhance your flying skills, the Phantom has GPS and GPR so it opens up a heap of possibilities for a good shot or a video clip that you
can only get with a UAV.
When I get home I go through all videos and check for the ones I want to keep which is most and I log them on several large external hard drives and many times when I need to produce a
CD video I will go to my video library and select the video which has helped me many times.
If you are bored with it after 3 months then I would say you have not utilized the full potential of your Phantom, as an example only a couple of days ago I flew up through a couple of layers of fog and then flew down through some open holes in the fog (at 300ft AGL) and when I watched it after at home I was absolutely amazed how great that video was ( I had not had that opportunity before).
I also find taking coastal videos great etc, etc.
So guys just think what your interests are then take Photos and Videos filming and you will be surprised what you come up with.
I hope I got some of you thinking.
Cheers, JV

18 months on from first buying a fc40 im still hooked in that time ive progressed from fc40 to p2v+ to owning a p3a for nearly a year and I still havent come close to filming all the beautiful landscapes around my local area. Im fortunate to living by the coast there are some great places to film but i think this is the key to owning a phantom its all about location! Now some of you will disagree and if your just in it to fly and not to bothered about the aerial photography side of things then fine but if you live in a city which is now getting very difficult to fly in because of the geo fencing etc and you dont live in a visually interesting place like a lot of people dont (you could be a great pilot and cinematographer/photographer) but you need interesting subject matter in my opinion. I see loads of videos of people flying over countless fields and towns and buildings but they just lose appeal so quickly. Its all about getting out and exploring your surroundings finding new interesting places to shoot which im guilty for not always doing and the results can be spectacular. Also I find the most beautiful times to shot are sunrises and sunsets,but at the end of the day its each to their own!

Thanks for your responses guys. I don't live in the most interesting part of the planet (Michigan), which probably does impact my interest in filmmaking and photography. Once you've seen a couple videos of a flight over a boring field or woods, or a beach for that matter, you've seen them all...

But like another guy said, the technology on these things is truly amazing. The FPV distance still blows me away. So to clarify, I'm not sick of the P3 at all, I love to fly it. But recording the same old stuff around my area definitely got old pretty quick.

I understand what you mean, I've done the 12000+ feet so far over the lake for a a distance test.
However I always liked photography(wildlife) and enjoy catching same in my rural Canadian location.

I also get to experiment with the UAV during amateur hockey games at numerous places along our lakeshore.
After that, I can literally fly down the lake quite a ways to a small hamlet and hover and get late evening sunsets, night lights and even an evening full moon over the town.

Other times I simply get out over the lake in Atti and fly, then let the wind blow me past the hockey rinks while I practice my flying and videoing.

All in all an interesting piece of kit.

Ah location "is" the name of the game. Living in flat ole illinois does make it hard to get excited over fields. I envy those who live in nice places,and I know it's my own fault. But having said that, it's germane to the conversation for some of us.

Reactions: 0DRK3RT
Ah location "is" the name of the game. Living in flat ole illinois does make it hard to get excited over fields. I envy those who live in nice places,and I know it's my own fault. But having said that, it's germane to the conversation for some of us.
Variety is the spice of life my friend.Anyway it's easy just uproot and move don't worry about friends and family oh and your job just think of your phantom and all the cool video's u will shoot living in a more interesting location if u have 2 leave the misses behind to...its worth the sacrifice bud!!

Unless I'm flying in an area I haven't filmed before, the excitement of filming wanes considerably. I find myself flying my racing drone more often than my camera drones nowadays.

Thanks for your responses guys. I don't live in the most interesting part of the planet (Michigan), which probably does impact my interest in filmmaking and photography. Once you've seen a couple videos of a flight over a boring field or woods, or a beach for that matter, you've seen them all...

But like another guy said, the technology on these things is truly amazing. The FPV distance still blows me away. So to clarify, I'm not sick of the P3 at all, I love to fly it. But recording the same old stuff around my area definitely got old pretty quick.

Michigan isn't just boring fields and woods :) The shoreline is pretty amazing having lived west of you in Minnesota. the other thing you have that we don't all have is all those great closed factories to shoot :)

Funny thing for me is I bought a P3P because I wanted all the advanced features but I dont really care about the pics or video. For me it's about flying it that gives me enjoyment. I do take pics and record video but nothing I would keep so far.

I am planning on building a racing quad as well just for the fun factor. Maybe Ill video the quad racing. Who knows?

If it was a race situation, I suspect unless it identified a particular Phantom by some kind of ID that it wouldn't know one from another.

It's an interesting question and since I'm a photographer first, the opposite has actually happened. The flying novelty has warn off. The light, landscape & pov are constantly changing and thus exciting new opportunities with each & every flight. As far as resolution is concerned, the PS3s is still overkill for broadcast quality stock footage and the only reason I've upgraded from the PS2+ was due to the fact that former was cheaper to buy than the latter was to repair.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj