Aerial Photos of my own house

Reaction score
My house is currently for sale. Our realtor said they used to have a guy who took drone photos but let him go due to the FAA. He said if I provide my own photos, he's happy to use them.

Any thoughts on legality of taking photos of my own house and giving them to my realtor?

Last edited:
It's not legal. I doubt you'll get caught unless a fellow realtor reports your realtor to the FAA.

Reactions: JBG
It would be illegal for your realtor to use them. It's would be the same situation as before when they had someone else supply the photos. An argument might be made against you as well min with case I don't seen that the FAA would pursue the matter.

I disagree in regards of legality, they are taking photos of their own property.
Well, taking the photos is perfectly legal. Using them for a commercial purpose is another story. The OP should contact the FAA if he wants a definitive answer though. I don't work for the FAA... just have an exemption, research this topic a lot, and spend too much time talking to the FAA :)

Again, I disagree.

Person A took photos of his house. Gave said photos to realtor.

Person B took photos of his house using his UAV. Gave said photos to realtor.

What's the difference?

There is a huge difference. The FAA has no say over what you do if you're not flying an aircraft.

timmer, are you trolling? If not, you're not making much sense.

If I'm following correctly -- in scenario A, the photo was taken with an iPhone (or other non-flying camera). In scenario 2, the photo was taken with an aircraft to be used for a commercial purpose. The FAA controls aircraft and US law says you must have an airman certificate to fly for commercial purposes.

No.

One camera is land based.

One camera is air based.

Both are on my property.

The FAA recommendations are being followed for the air shoot.

Why is this illegal?

Both are personal photos. Maybe even a video or two. Just to give to the realtor...

If the owner took the photos with the intention of using them to promote the sale of their property, that would be commercial use. If the owner took the photos for private use and then subsequently provided them to his realtor when asked for any photos, that would still be private use. Subtle but important distinction.

Reactions: JBG
If the owner took the photos for private use and then subsequently provided them to his realtor when asked for any photos, that would still be private use.
Correct. But, it's quite clear that the OP is not talking about this.

+1 I think they are correct ^^ its when/how you use the pictures. timmer you are correct you can take pics all day long, but as soon as those pics are used to market your house, you crossed a (real stupid) line.

Go down to your local party store, pick up a couple dozen helium balloons. Stop off at the hardware store and pick up a couple hundred feet of light string. Tie your gopro below the balloons, set it to take a photo every 5 seconds and let out some line. Gets you essentially the same photos with no FAA violations to worry about.

Reactions: Alex_

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl