aerial photography curvature

Reaction score
Does anyone know how the curvature can be removed when doing aerial photography? I've been using a protective lens, but guessing that's not causing the problem. See sample below.

Sorry if this has been asked before...

Attachments

• After_Ground-3.jpg
    After_Ground-3.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 629
I do 2.7k at Med FOV and I am fisheye-less (and prop-less and leg-less).

I stare in wonderment at folks paying for $150 replacement lenses that require you to take a blow torch (yes) or vice grips to your GoPro to get rid of fisheye.

At least if you're on Black, it's a feature.

Turn it off :)

ChimayMan said:
damoncooper said:

I stare in wonderment at folks paying for $150 replacement lenses that require you to take a blow torch (yes) or vice grips to your GoPro to get rid of fisheye.

H3B cannot capture in 2.7k Medium. That feature is only available on the H3B+

Ah. Must be why I am confused at the blow torching of innocent action cams. I'm on a H3B+.

Back to the shadows.

damoncooper said:

FYI it requires neither a blowtorch nor vice grips. The benefit is that it removes the fisheye without discarding a significant fraction of the sensor resolution.

sar104 said:
damoncooper said:

FYI it requires neither a blowtorch nor vice grips. The benefit is that it removes the fisheye without discarding a significant fraction of the sensor resolution.

About 4:30 into this one. Two sets of pliers are grappled on and used with a heat gun. Apparently others have used blow torches though. Whatever ya got handy I guess :)

http://youtu.be/_tUl-BzZN70

damoncooper said:
sar104 said:
damoncooper said:

About 4:30 into this one. Two sets of pliers are grappled on and used with a heat gun. Apparently others have used blow torches though. Whatever ya got handy I guess :)

I see - you assumed that because he used those in the video then they must be essential for the job. I used neither, so I know they are not.

sar104 said:
damoncooper said:
sar104 said:
damoncooper said:

I see - you assumed that because he used those in the video then they must be essential for the job. I used neither, so I know they are not.

Correct, yeah. At $155 though I wonder if trading up to a GP3B+ might not make more sense?

What about GoPro Studio software, de-fisheye is a feature and it works for me...and free

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8

sar104 said:
damoncooper said:
Correct, yeah. At $155 though I wonder if trading up to a GP3B+ might not make more sense?

I'm using a GP3B+.

ChimayMan noted the 2.7k solution was only available on the GP3B+, so I was just pointing out that if considering a new lens for $155, considering a trade up might also make sense to consider.

I believe 2.7k Full FOV does use more sensor but the trade off is more work in post to kill props and landing gear potentially.

Anyone know where the setting can be changed on a GoPro Hero 3+ Black? Is it on the camera or when connected with software?

tonydotigr said:
Anyone know where the setting can be changed on a GoPro Hero 3+ Black? Is it on the camera or when connected with software?
The fisheye correction is in the GroPro Studio post processing software.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8

damoncooper said:
ChimayMan noted the 2.7k solution was only available on the GP3B+, so I was just pointing out that if considering a new lens for $155, considering a trade up might also make sense to consider.

I believe 2.7k Full FOV does use more sensor but the trade off is more work in post to kill props and landing gear potentially.

Depending on intended use that may be true, although 2.7k still discards resolution, so if you are also looking for the best quality still images then it's not ideal. Solely for HD movie work it may be just fine.

For me there is an additional consideration - I'm using Lightbridge, which is not compatible with 2.7k output from the GoPro.

IrishSights said:
What about GoPro Studio software, de-fisheye is a feature and it works for me...and free

That function works, but by cropping and distorting the image, so it has a significant negative impact on image quality.

Also - the fully wide FOV of the GoPro is very sub-optimal for FPV flying.

Sar104,

You seem to have a good handle on the GoPro and if I may I have a question.

I am doing real estate photography and am looking for the best photo setting for my 3+ black. Have tried 14.4 along with stills and get 12mp stills which look good although they are 4X3.
Thought about 2.7 with protune on and then extract the frames I want and process then in PS Raw. Haven't tried it yet, perhaps later today.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Tom

tom3holer said:
Sar104,

You seem to have a good handle on the GoPro and if I may I have a question.

I am doing real estate photography and am looking for the best photo setting for my 3+ black. Have tried 14.4 along with stills and get 12mp stills which look good although they are 4X3.
Thought about 2.7 with protune on and then extract the frames I want and process then in PS Raw. Haven't tried it yet, perhaps later today.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Tom

I haven't tried correcting Protune images in PS, but I've seen reports that it works OK. Manual adjustments though, since I don't think PS has a profile for Protune. If the resulting images from 2.7k video capture are large enough for your purposes then that may work just fine. I suspect that the only way to find out is to try it and see if you like what you get.

Haven't tried it yet, but looks like PS does a nice job. Google Lens Profile Correction with GoPro Hero 3 Cameras

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj