Aerial photograph prices?

Reaction score
How much should I charge some local people for some pictures of their home and farm? I want to try and pay myself back for my purchase. I have a dozen people that has came to me wanting it done. I know your not suppose to use drones to make money with out some certifications, but it's not going to be advertised just by word of mouth?

Also on that note can someone give me a link or tell me how to get the certifications I need? Is it expensive?

Last edited:
It's hard to tell what to charge - way too many factors involved.
Start by thinking what the pictures are worth to the property owners (and how good the pics are).
If you want to look into going legit, google FAA 333
It's a Section 333 exemption and the key part is that you require a pilot's licence to get one.
https://www.faa.gov/uas/legislative_programs/section_333/
Overkill for simple house photos and so there are plenty doing it and "flying below the radar".
At least until the Small UAS Rule comes in and that may make things easier.

Could I open a Facebook page and still stay under the radar lol. I'm from the south part of Mississippi in a small county so it couldn't get to far out there?

Some do the drone photography or videography for free, and only charge labor for post production work by the hour, such as video editing/adding sound/photoshopping/panorama stitching/HDR compositing/LR enhancements. Might work!

Alternatively, you could "rent" them your drone and charge for "flying lessons" while they take their own photographs, with your able assistance, where you are available to take over the controls, and they press the shutter or video button to get the image they want.

Be creative! :D

Could I open a Facebook page and still stay under the radar lol. I'm from the south part of Mississippi in a small county so it couldn't get to far out there?

That's funny stuff.

Well, I'm in Wyoming and now I know what you're up to.

:p Don't know what you're thinking, but I can't help poking fun at you. :p

It's the internet... your post made it around the world before your hand was off the keyboard... :rolleyes:

Reactions: Colbycheese08
only charge labor for post production work by the hour.... Might work!

If you ever had to explain yourself to the FAA, those sort of things just wouldn't wash.
They really aren't that dumb.
Better not to fool yourself and simply stay below the radar.
The best strategy is simply don't do anything to attract their attention.

If your talking about taking pictures of someone's house or land for them,,the chance of anyone finding out are very, very slim. Now if your talking about taking pictures for real estate agents for them to use in a listing, the chances increase greatly. Now your in a commercial area, and agents that didn't get the listing will probable love to tell the person selling the house that the agent they used had a non-licensed person without any liability insurance flying a drone around their house.

The FAA isn't going to be looking on the internet for people advertising aerial photography prices, ,they will be investigating any complaints that come in. Having a facebook page or website would merely be proof you were charging for your service if there was a problem.

Bad idea if you are trying to "stay under the radar, " otherwise go full hog and get a 333....

If you ever had to explain yourself to the FAA, those sort of things just wouldn't wash.
They really aren't that dumb.
Better not to fool yourself and simply stay below the radar.
The best strategy is simply don't do anything to attract their attention.

Agreed. Better to ask for forgiveness than permission, and keep as low a profile as possible. However, it helps to have a reasonable basis for your actions, even if they don't agree with your reasoning, while pleading your case, should you still make it onto their radar. Also, don't be a Drone Bonehead, and do anything that everyone would agree was negligent and endangering life and limb! Responsible flying, and consider using prop guards, just in case! :cool:

Yeesh, just give the guy an answer.

We paid $450 for an 11x18 print on canvas shot from a plane a few years ago. If you are selling a digital file, $75-100 is probably fair if you give them several shots/angles.

How much should I charge some local people for some pictures of their home and farm? I want to try and pay myself back for my purchase. I have a dozen people that has came to me wanting it done. I know your not suppose to use drones to make money with out some certifications, but it's not going to be advertised just by word of mouth?

Also on that note can someone give me a link or tell me how to get the certifications I need? Is it expensive?
Hi,

I've been doing Phantom II photography work now for over a year.
I charge the following rates:

$75 - to book and for me to show up on site.
$50- for each still photograph
$120- for 3 still photographs
$100- for a video of 1 minute.

My video rates are a bit higher if the customer wants a longer video or if there is editing involved.
Example, music accompanying the video.

Hi,

I've been doing Phantom II photography work now for over a year.
I charge the following rates:

$75 - to book and for me to show up on site.
$100- for a video of 1 minute.

My video rates are a bit higher if the customer wants a longer video or if there is editing involved.
Example, music accompanying the video.

"$75 - to book and for me to show up on site.
$100- for a video of 1 minute."

Good to see your Book fee, many people forget that part of the overhead. If I may? a washing machine repair man gets around that price, this is not meant to be disrespectful Hendricks has it right. Many service industries rely on this! Again Props for sharing! it will help others from falling to 5 dollars an hour when done.

So your about $500.00 with this set and I think your about 4 hours correct?
All digital?
I would assume your Video consists of different profiles and spliced into one result?

( Some others things everyone should be aware of as many aspects other than the above is involved for more return.)
MLS compliant...
Hard Copies... (photo lay ups) 50 to start nothing less
Exclusives...
Golden hour takes are usually more...
Possible staging...
The walk through...
Always request a review from the party..
Respect your prices as under cutters will fail and you will still be around....
Private Website (Sub Domains) Your hosting company should provide up 25 and more for less. (agent:www.listingaddress.com) Agents love this! Monthly fee)

These are assuming real estate exclusives.

Thought I would toss that into the heap.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20